Supported applications, I could use a little help

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by bartv, Feb 16, 2010.

1. bartv
    bartv Member
    @shuffer: I'd like to hear some feedback from people who use Poser Pro on our site before I add it to the list. Did you try it yet? Could you successfully upload those Collada files?

2. 38399_deleted
    38399_deleted Member
    Hello guys, I'm new to shapeways and was justlooking for the programs I could use for 3d printing.

Some months ago I bought milkshape3d and I just found out, that milkshape has a X3D and a VRML exporter.

So perhaps you could add that program to your list,

Regards
    Caramon

3. bartv
    bartv Member
    Hi Camaron,

did you test the output on our site, too? Did the files upload correctly?

Cheers,

Bart

4. 44752_deleted
    44752_deleted Member
    Art of Illusion, http://www.artofillusion.org
    offers VRML export, as well as Povray V3.5 (.pov) and Wavefront (.obj) . I´ve been using this software for a while and is very intuitive, worth checking.

The file extension is .aoi

Thanks,

Maxcross

5. For the record, AutoCAD 2000 can also export STL files, so presumably pretty much every non-LT version (i.e. any version with 3D functionality) between then and now can do the same.

Andy

6. Action_N
    Action_N Member
    Sir,

I've been using Autodesk Inventor v.11, and while I initially had to use MeshLab to re-save my .STL files in a format that Shapeways could read, that no longer seems to be necessary. I get manifold errors every once in a while, but it's usually because I'm working with complex curves.

Regards,
    Action_N

7. josheeg
    josheeg Member
    BRL-CAD is old good for Mechanical Engineering & true 3d.
    it can be done with the mouse or keyboard or script and the documentation is quite good.

Now that means I made the walki talkie in theory so I do not know how hard other things would be...

But I would sugjest it for mechanical design that google sketchup and blender do not seem to be the right ideas for.

If their was a google sketchup piece of software that was free and open source that was easier than BRL-cad shure. but I have not seen one yet.

8. bartv
    bartv Member
    @Action_N, @Drawn-Steel Hero: added, thanks!

@josheeg: looks good! Does it export to any format that we support? (STL/X3D/Collada/VRML2)

Cheers,

Bart

9. 61791_deleted
    61791_deleted Member
    Hello. Shapeways looks promising! Anyway, I have Swift3D v5. I use it to produce three dimensional flash animations. The software does export to the 3DS file format. It produces a good translation from my experience. This would vastly increase your potential user base since many Flash developers use Swift3D for native file translations.

10. tcorica
    tcorica Member
    Haven't actually tried it, but Maple mathematics software indicates that it can export a 3D graph to Collada or X3D Geometry.

11. www.3dcoat.com, how can you miss it! :)

12. 78230_deleted
    78230_deleted Member
    Hello Bart - the organic sculpting applications from Sensable 3D Design - Freeform and Claytools - natively export watertight stl files. Additionally, Freeform has a very powerful decimator, invaluable when working with highly detailed models.

Jennifer
    Product Manager - Sensable

13. Same goes for 3DCOAT, but much less expensive.
    www.3dcoat.com

Sculptingsoftware

14. So please update the list! :blush:

15. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    FYI.. if you can find Truespace 7.6.0 (not 7.6.1) it has native support for STL that works well.

16. bartv
    bartv Member
    Thanks for your input, I've updated the list.

We also just released support for the OBJ file format: http://shpws.me/13TL

Any input on that would be vastly appreciated as well ;)

Cheers,

Bart

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  17. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    Finally, OBJ can now be uploaded... Long time coming. Just about every programme I use supports OBJ but not every one supports each of the many others.

And FYI, ZBrush 4 supports OBJ export and with the 3D Print Exporter Plug-in also supports:

•Export in STL, Binary and Ascii.
    •Export in VRML.
    •Size in Inches and millimeters.

Glenn

18. bartv
    bartv Member
    Updated, thanks!

Bart

19. Cortex
    Cortex Member
    Hi, you could list the free Rhino3D plug-in Grasshopper. Grasshopper adds a generative modeling tool to Rhino.

Cheers,
    C.

http://www.grasshopper3d.com/

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  20. bartv
    bartv Member
    Grasshopper looks really interesting, and I'd like to do a blogpost about it. Would you be able to write somethig for me?

As for mentioning it in this list: it lists only 3D applications, not their plugins (the list would become VERY long very quickly ;)

Bart