Site bug!!!! - disappearing models - FIXED

Discussion in 'Bug Reporting' started by numarul7, May 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. When I click 'update file' in your 'ready to order' email, the model reappears in 'my models' and after turning the public display off and on again, the model reappears in my shop (after a minute).

So for everybody out there that has hundreds of models that turned invisible, are financially dependent on their shops and reputation and really cannot wait until SW solved the bug: happy clicking!

By the way, I really am impressed with the guys at support: When I sent an email this morning, support mailed me back in 5 minutes, telling me they're on it. That's pretty quick!

Good luck bug-fixing :)

2. numarul7
    numarul7 Well-Known Member
    [​IMG]

Me Gizmo! Me ask you don`t give me water!!! I get angry!!!

3. GInSpace76
    GInSpace76 Member
    Thanks for addressing this issue. I'm wary of uploading new models at this point. Will very recent model uploads be clobbered if/when older ones that had "vanished" from display are restored?

4. MitchellJetten
    MitchellJetten Shapeways Employee CS Team
    Hi GInSpace76,

You can upload new models without any problems :) it won't cause any issues after we have fixed the display issues for the older models.

5. tebee
    tebee Well-Known Member
  6. GInSpace76
    GInSpace76 Member
    I know nothing about how the website was implemented, but I wonder if this is related to whatever "push process" is used to propagate data about a model to other parts of the site. Maybe something in that part of the plumbing "pushed" that some models shouldn't be reachable through certain paths when they in fact should.

I'm a software developer by trade, but obviously on this site, I can only make observations as a user. :)

7. Barratomica
    Barratomica Member
    Some one seems to be uploading multiple pictures to the site - check the Feed page. The same thing was going on at this time yesterday.

Coincidence ?

Jb

8. I like the message from someone who said they went to the bathroom and got sick when they saw their models where gone, came back and found this forum haha.. I myself went and smoke 4 cigs , stressed out , and then found this also , Shapeways is always really good at responding / fixing these things quickly :)

9. GInSpace76
    GInSpace76 Member
    The first post in this thread was made about 19 hours ago, so the problem has been ongoing for at least that long. Are there any updates? Just curious...

10. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Nothing to do with that.

11. Hey guys,

First of all, its been quite a day for us over here. We've been working non-stop to bring all the search functions back to normal and we appreciate your patience and humor as we make progress. I especially like the gremlins gifs - very appropriate!

So here's whats up: No data is missing.

We are piloting a new feature (new feature X) internally that is really awesome. I cannot share details about the feature itself, but I can tell you it adds data to our core search document structure and that change started this bug.

Our search technology powers all our galleries, shops, mymodels and most other places that show lists of models. All models that are going to be a part of new feature X got an updated document in the search index, but there was an unexpected side effect that made them hidden. The backups of the index will not work with the current live website code - we want to move forward and fix the issue.

To get it working we have two paths:
    1) Incrementally index each model that has been hidden from the index (ETA 5h - in progress)
    - we manually triggered all models in shops to be added back as visible into search - this process takes time but it should help.
    2) Full reindex all models (ETA 4.5h - in progress)
    - this is our normal route to get new data into our search index, but new feature X caused it to barf RIGHT AT THE END!!!!!! TWICE!!!!!!!
    - we have put extra measures into the reindexing code to prevent the last-minute barfing <GREMLIN> but we are still waiting for this process to finish.

The end result is that you guys had a soul-crushing day without your models displaying in shops, worrying that models might be missing, and generally feeling angst and showing fangs to Shapeways.

As soon as we have a final fix up and running, we'll post back to this thread.

I hope this view into the issue and this joke will help ease some of the frustation you experienced today:

[​IMG]

12. KokodaTrailModels
    KokodaTrailModels Well-Known Member
    I like it. Good work so far. Identifying the root problem is always a massive headache.

However, I can't help but feel like this could have been prevented if we didn't feed our Mogwai after midnight. It's always the start of problems. :)

13. HOLDEN8702
    HOLDEN8702 Well-Known Member
    I'm thinking...

What gonna happen when Shapeways reach the 2 Millions of models?

There's a probability of a 2 millions evil effect?

The molecules and atoms of our beloved models losing cohesion, all our models transmuting in clones of Doge dog, and the sintering machines getting conscience and making huge armies of WSF terminators that rules and extinguish the human race, converting the designers in slaves who design till falling death...

14. numarul7
    When 2.000.000 model is reached we meet my little ...brother Stripe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mogwai_Stripe.PNG

He got feature X ..with triple X :D

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  15. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    8:30pm CDT (1:30am UTC)- many of the models that were missing from my shop are now showing again.
    There ARE still some models that I had previously deleted, and those are still present - the update is obviously still going, but I understand that those as well will be taken care of with the re-indexing.

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  16. numarul7
    Same here too ... there are still some gremlins there.

They eating popcorn and seeing X-MEN!

17. kitcase
    kitcase Member
    There is a printer Deity!

Models showing up again... mayhem.

Still down 1 model, but it was the one I was working on when the """" hit the fan.

Thanks all for improving the site - I mean it. Just in the past 4-6 months the site is much better! Then there was today...:)

Hang in there.

C

18. GInSpace76
    GInSpace76 Member
    Thank you, Shapeways support team, for working diligently on this issue! Much appreciated! :)

I should 3D-print a thumbs-up. :)

19. Bobbiethejean
    Bobbiethejean Well-Known Member
    Whoo! What a relief! Models have reappeared!

20. HOLDEN8702
    HOLDEN8702 Well-Known Member
    I only want to say

THANKS!!!!!

Well, we all know that you could fix it in a few minutes, but that you really like to introduce a little drama to your work and so we loved you much...

very grateful to the technical team, your work is very valuable for us!

Best regards

Luis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.