Shop management improvements - what do you want?

Discussion in 'Shapeways Shops' started by robert, Aug 23, 2010.

1. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    For my models, the "color" of the material does not matter, and I couldn't imagine charging differently per color. The only thing that matters for my models is the wall thickness.

A smaller set of choices for 0.7mm, 1.0mm and 3.0mm, coupled with a percentage markup would work well for me.

FYI.. If you do implement a percentage markup, it'd be very handy to have a default percentage (set in my profile) that would be applied to all uploads automatically.

2. 45667_deleted
    45667_deleted Member
    this looks great!

3. I assume the colour listings cover the fact that SW charge different amounts for the colours due to post-processing costs.

Andy

4. Tommy_2Tall
    Tommy_2Tall Member

Hi!

I reeeeally like the idea of the new material "matrix" that Virtox suggested and Robert showed a preliminary draft of.

I agree with those that want either material specific markup or a fixed price (with automatic markup calculation)..

I also think that the previously mentioned markup as a percentage would also make sense when a model is available in both cheap and pricey materials.

The material preview ideas from Salokannel looks like a great idea:
    Some basic shapes with dimensions clearly visible and photos taken in a static scenario (lightbox with a fixed hotshoe mount/tripod-screw mount) so they always look the same.
    I think that would be more informative/intuitive to a casual browser that's not familiar with your services.

Cheers!

5. woody64
    woody64 Well-Known Member
    Stopped some minute ago with a similar activity:
    Assigning my items to shop categories, Stepping through item per item and add it or remove from a shop category. After half an hour work only two dozens of items done.

Still in the opinion that assigning items to material classes would be much better.
    So a material class can be changed in the shop edit. And adding and removing materials would be very straightforward. Handling the assignements of items to material classes in the proposed list form would be then also fine.

Would be great to incorporate that ...

Woody64

6. designerica
    designerica Member
    wow, i LOVE that matrix. It's just what i was wishing for!!!

A few things, unrelated to markups:
    RE: "MY ORDERS"

1) this seems simple to me, with the very little knowledge of coding that i have (i learned BASIC in high school): can we get a "date" category on the list of "my orders"?

2) if there was a way to download a spreadsheet of my orders with columns such as-
    order or invoice number, date, item, material, price
    i would love you forever. i am so sick of copying the information over to a spreadsheet so i can manage my own inventory.

3) when i click on the "order number" on the list, all i get is a blank pdf. i assume that's supposed to be a copy of my order, but it doesn't work. is it my browser? i'm running safari on os 10.6.4.

4) the other day my "my orders" list changed significantly. first off, it flipped upside down so my new orders are now at the bottom. i don't like this change. i can't find a way to invert it. second, there are now items on the list that say "aborted" or "resumed" next to them. these items link to a blank order page with no information on it. i think i cancelled a whole order once. but there a number of these orders on my list. i haven't a clue what resumed is supposed to mean.

MY DESIGNS:
    5): it would be really great if i i could organize my own designs into folders/categories. for instance- i have a lot of files that are NOT for sale on shapeways because things come in different sizes. for every one co-creator for sale here, i have 4-10 different actual files for different sizes. instead of having to scroll through all my files to find the one i want, it would be really awesome if i could organize them myself.

Thanks!
    Erica

7. designerica
    designerica Member
    i forgot to mention that material-specific markups, percentage based markups, or a set price and a markup determined from that *for each material but not each color* would all be improvements on that matrix. ideally i'd like to see material-specific markups by material category. for instance: i set a markup for the model in steel, a markup for the model in colored strong and flexible, a markup for the model in white s&f, a markup for the model in matte gold, etc. i don't want to have to set a markup for each of the colors every season, though. that's annoying.

this is basically the same as having a fixed price per material that determines the markup, unless i don't understand?

8. designerica
    designerica Member
    here's my material selector. the material images were fine, i just couldn't fit them with the name and price. it's nice to have everything very clear- the whole material name, how the price was determined, and a markup for each material category.

model material selector erica copy.jpg

9. LincolnK
    LincolnK Member
    I'd really like to see the materials list always show in alphabetical order.

When ever I have to click "add all" to the material list I don't want people to use, and then click the icon (trashcan?) to put just a few materials back in, it would be so much easier to find the ones I want if they were in alphabetical order.

Thanks.

10. designerica
    designerica Member
    i would actually prefer if the materials were sorted by category- metal, plastic, etc and THEN alphabetically. but either way, they should always be in the SAME order. right now, when you "add all" and then hit your first trashcan, the order changes when it reloads the list.

11. 40444_deleted
    40444_deleted Member
    I would have this small enhancements:

1) Order overview spreadsheet, column "Model Title", it doesn't contain all the title of my model. I know my models have a long name but is needed to make it clear what is it.

2) Email that i receive when a model is bought, again it doesn't show the full title. This make difficult to track what models have been sold.

Thanks

12. 32482_deleted
    32482_deleted Member
    I would like to offer my models in different forms (ie. colour, no-colour, small, medium, large). Is it possible to display these possibilities in the store without having to display them as separate models?

For example,
    - I upload the different colour models, and have them displayed along-side the different materials
    - have a pulldown tab showing different size options and their prices.

For some of my models, I would like to have 3 sizes and 6 colour schemes. Instead of having 18 models in my shop, it would be cleaner to have a single model, from which the options are selectable.

Ryan