Shop Logo not loading --06/06=FIXED!

Discussion in 'Shapeways Shops' started by KaiserXavier, May 1, 2014.

1. wgseligman
    wgseligman Well-Known Member
    ...and the same problems that superfungo has too. Should've mentioned that along with the problems supermungo has.

2. Just tried changing my logo. Says it's updated, but nothing changes in appearance.

3. And it just got weirder. When I refreshed this forum page my avatar (which I updated a few weeks ago) was replaced with my logo (the same old logo I tried unsuccessfully to replace earlier today). I believe the old logo served as both Shop logo and public profile avatar for a while, so maybe the avatar is reverting back somehow.

Edit: I just re-updated the profile avatar, and the forum seems to show the new one.

Edit again... After coming back to the forum, my avatar has reverted to the old version once again. And my shop logo still has not updated. (BTW, the proper avatar should have a black background with no text).

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  4. Serin
    Serin Member
    Yep.

I've re-uploaded my banner about 20 times over the last week... reverts to the old one instantly or if it stays it only sticks around for about 2 hours.

Had a bit of back and forth with the support team but they don't seem to be aware that the problem is so widespread.

5. Hey all,

First off, thanks for being so helpful and understanding while we work on this. Each case helps us to debug so by all means, do not stop reporting bugs :)

I want to clarify what is happening here because I know how frustrating it can be to be left in the dark. The problem comes from using a CDN (Content Delivery Network), which is a service most large websites use to host images to speed up the time it takes for each page to load. Working with the service can be... tricky, as there can be a delay between when the image is updated and when the CDN displays that updated image on the website. This is the delay that many of you are seeing and we are actively working to reduce that.

There is another issue that involves seeing a different image when logged in vs. logged out. This is because the CDN is retaining old images based on urls, which differs by https and http when users are logged in or logged out (https means that the data sent from your browser to Shapeways is encrypted, which all logged-in pages are). Note that if you look at the url in your browser when logged in, it will start with https. So when you update your shop banner or logo, we have to tell the CDN that all old images it has are out of date.

I hope this clarifies some of the issues you have been seeing. Our developers are looking into the solution right now and I'm fully confident that they'll get things back on track. Again, thanks for understanding!

6. superfungo
    superfungo Member
    Thanks Justin!

7. 7943_deleted
    7943_deleted Member
    This has been fixed now thanks to Justin!

8. wgseligman
    wgseligman Well-Known Member
    Yes, it appears to be working now. My thanks to all involved!

9. My shop logo seems okay, but my profile avatar is still not right. Currently displaying as the old shop logo on white background instead of the no-text version on black background whether signed in or out, except on the page where the avatar gets updated. That shows the new as of a couple days ago.

10. Shoot. We have the dark background Meatball Rocketry logo on our end. I'm hoping it is just some old image cached in your browser. You can try updating again or clearing your browser's cache. If it is still showing the wrong image, send me the direct link to the old white-background image (I'm happy to provide instructions, but I need to know which browser you are using).

What we are seeing logged in and logged out:
    meatballrocketryh.png

11. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    He mentioned his profile avatar...

12. My view is the same as your screenshot, but the Profile Avatar is the continuing problem, even after clearing the cache.

Direct link from the Profile settings page (updated this image for the third attempt about a week ago to the black version w/out text):
    https://images.shapeways.com/avatar/200x200_89885_ba6a315734 eee8fe3f977dff4b68c9bb?t=1402324958

Currently it shows the white version in the Profile settings and also as my avatar in the forums. The black avatar (no text) is currently only showing up in the upper right of the screen next to the shopping card icon. But a few days ago, that upper-right avatar showed the white background, as did the forums, but the Black avatar was on the Profile settings page.

Several months ago, I believe the Shop Logo served as Profile image. Now the logo and avatar are separate items. I wonder if that switchover is causing some of the issues.

logo_changes.jpg

13. Ah, I understand now. This is a separate issue, but the same root cause. We'll fix this. Thanks for bringing to our attention.

14. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    I believe the two have been separate for quite some time, if not forever.

I do not understand why we have the two separate images, but that is another question...

15. SavIsSavvy
    SavIsSavvy Member
    Would you like your shop logo and profile image to be the same?

out of curiosity... :)