Shapeways World Meetup Day: February 28

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bartv, Jan 24, 2013.

1. 7943_deleted
    7943_deleted Member

I can't wait -- its gonna be so fun!!

YAY

2. We may just have the smallest Meetup in Adelaide Australia. Two of us have agreed that we are going to Meetup at 10.00 am on the 28th due to the initial low numbers.

Also if you consider the different world time zones our 10.00 am Meetup may make the Adelaide meetup the first to occur in the world. The first sunrise of any new day is in Suva Fiji and at 10.00 am Adelaide time it is only Midday in Fiji.

3. fakebusker83
    fakebusker83 Member
    I wasn't expecting a large attendance for a Meetup in the tiny, sunny island of Singapore, but I was taken aback when the final count (as of now) is 18 attendees! This is much more than I could hope for and I'm crossing my fingers that the location can accommodate us! I'd be expecting more will drop by even though they did not sign up on the Meetup page. This is gonna be fun!

-fb

4. bartv
    bartv Member
    @JohnReevesTaylor how nice and cozy! Please do be sure to send us a picture of your meetup. And congrats on being the first :)

@fakebusker83 wow! You're now the sixth-largest meetup on our list. Congrats! Singapore is booming!

Bart

5. Gearing up in Milan for our Shapeways Wolrd Meetup.

We have got the stickers, the brochures and we also have got some late participants. Everything just materialized the day before the eventi.
    We're now 10 expected.

I'm printing out the various signs you supplied here in the Forum to help people find the right spot.

I'll try to cover the event with tweets and pictures.

I'm @SimonePDA on twitter and I'll use the #SWmeetup hastag as instructed.

Busy week here in Italy :eek: , but nevertheless it is now time for some chitchat, finger food ad a good drink with other shapers!

simone

6. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    TORONTO MeetUp scheduled with six signed up so far: Starbuck's at 15440 Bayview Ave, north of Wellington, in Aurora.

EDIT - Sorry, that should be Second Cup, not Starbucks.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  7. Hi Everyone:

I'll be hosting the Lima Community meeting tomorrow, eleven guests confirmed so far... hopefully more to come.

Since we're kind of late to the party I was wandering if there will be any meetup-specific material online to share with the people coming.

looking forward to a fun evening!

Thanks.

Best regards,

Isaac

8. Hi Everybody, Adelaide Australia Meetup underway - I think we were the first and it also the smallest. We were were underway at 10:00 am. John and Scott had the smallest MeetUp at The Pantry on Egmont Terrace. Great coffee. Lots of talk about Shapeways stuff.

Heading into the city shortly as the Adelaide Shapeways Meetup continues at Adelaide's FabLab with Ben Dansie and hopefully Karen in attendence.

IMG_2223.jpg

9. bartv
    bartv Member
    Hey John and Scott, awesome, I hope you guys had a good time!!

I shared your pic on Tumblr:

https://shapeways.tumblr.com

Thanks, and have fun at the Fab Lab (say hi to Ben for me).

Bart

10. bartv
    bartv Member
    @irr256 wow! You're at 14 already :) I've started a last-minute campaign on Facebook for people in your area, I hope it helps to get even more Shapies on board!

https://www.meetup.com/ShapewaysCommunity/Lima-PE/868662/

What kind of meetup-specific material are you looking for? Usually people will be bringing their own 3D prints, so there's plenty to talk about.

Also, please do mail your address to community@shapeways.com and we'll still mail you some goodies.

Have fun tonight!

Bart

11. bartv
    bartv Member
    @SimonePDA so glad to hear it! I *knew* there would be a lot of interest for design in Milan ;)

@lensman great!

I hope you both have an awesome evening today!!

Bart

12. I already packed up everything in a suitcase (iI'm bringing some of the prints I made on my RepRap as "proofs" that can them be printed by your gorgeous professional machines). I twitted the picture of all the stuff with the swmeetup hashtag.

In 25 minutes I'll be leaving for the meeting point.

Let's hope everyoone shows up.

simone

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  13. Bathsheba
    Bathsheba Well-Known Member
    The honor of Cambridge has been upheld!
    Shapeways meetup cambridge 2013.JPG
    Please note that there were cookies.

14. From Milano....
    Last night meetup was really good. We were not many, just seven, but we did enjoy talking a lot about 3D print technology and hot it is changing many aspects of our life.

We gathered in piazza XXIV maggio as planned and after the 30 minutes planned we moved to a Pizzeria nearby.

SWMeetup_1.jpg

Then in the Pizzeria we started the real talks about how Shapeways was the key for this meeting and what each of us was expecting from it. Tech talks, biz talks, ideas and so on. We had a designer, a manufacturer of small but clever acessories for home and office, we had an architect, an university researcher, a student, a technical manager, another joung student and me (a technical journalist).

Thanks to the availability of Internet in the Pizzeria we also looked at the creative apps that Shapeways offers (like the minecraft ot the vase app) discussing how it could be if we were able to develop something as interesting as these apps (biz talks :cool: ). One of the main points was : an idea on the Internet or something that uses the Internet but it is physical and somewhere with a real shop? The answer was "depends on what you're aiming at: B2B or B2C", but that was too easy as an aswer and our "idea for our future" didn't show up yet.

Anyway, different points of view and different experiences were the fuel for a very interesting evening. We will create a group on Facebook to keep in touch and exchange our ideas and experiences because we're - or at least we think - a small group that has already understood that our future will involve 3D Print and here in Italy, apart from geniuses like our Enrico Dini, not many do realize that 3D Print is a technology that will be pervasive with a very fast and many "unexpected" applications.

We also shared our 3D prints, with some of us still waiting for the first prints from Shapeways arriving in the mail.

15. Here we're starting the dinner for Milano Shapeways meetup...

DSCN4151.JPG

16. and this is the "goodbye shot".

DSCN4153.JPG

Thanks and greetings from Tianhang, Stefania, Alessandro, Boris, Li, Simone and Gabriele (that took the pictures).

17. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    The Toronto meetup was really small. There were only six signed up and three actually attended! The weather was a bit miserable so we had to force ourselves out of our warm igloos to brave the elements. A quick 20 minute ride by dog-sled got me to the coffee shop meeting rendezvous.

I got to see the (soon to be world record?) smallest Rubic's Cube in the world - at 5mm width - and its 13yr old designer. Unfortunately Shapeways is no longer printing these since the parts are just so darn small!

Anyway, let's hope future meets will have more of an attendance. Maybe a Spring or Summer event? (sorry for you Shapies Down Under!)

Glenn

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  18. 9 of us showed up for the Minneapolis meetup. Nobody else had printed anything yet, so I showed some prints, set up a my laptop and projector and walked everybody thru the Shapeways site.

One of the members snapped these photos (thanks, Scott!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Dragoman
    Dragoman Member
    Just a short report from Hamburg, Germany.

Four people announced they would come, five actually were there. Nice evening, chatting, showing stuff, exchanging experiences. Good mix of experienced makers, newbies and simply interested people, artists, jewelers and model makers.

A follow-up date has been scheduled :)

Greetings
    Dragoman

20. bartv
    bartv Member
    Hey Dragoman,

great! I'll do my best to promote it for you.

Did you guys take any pictures? I'd love to share them on our Tumblr page.

Thanks again!

Bart