Shapeways World Meetup Day: February 28

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bartv, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Hello People!

I'm Stein and I'll be the host for the meetup in Arnhem (Netherlands). I hope to meet more shapers who live in the neighbourhood but at this point my meeting is still kinda lonely. Since november last year I started my own design company specialized in personalized 3d printed products but I will tell everything about it at the meetup.

The event will take place at "Het Proeflokaal, de nieuwe waag". Parking will not be a problem because it is right in front of the Markt. Parking space for several hunderds of cars.

So to all dutchies, Join!

-Stein de Haan-

UPDATE: I Just figured out that this sunday there is an event about 3D printing in cafe Dudok, Arnhem. I will also join this event and will try to get some people to join mine but it could be difficult to have two simulair events within a short period of time. The other event is a reading with Siert Wijnia (Directeur Ultimaker) and Rick Companje (Doodle3D). I Think it is intresting so other Shapers feel also free to join this one ;)

Source: http://www.3dprintcafe.nl/home/

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  2. 34330_deleted
    34330_deleted Member
    français:
    je reviens à l'instant de la cité des sciences avec plein de bonnes nouvelles:
    nous aurions le carrefour numérique pour nous de 19h à 21h et la possibilité d'avoir des boissons, un espace aménagé avec des fauteuils, une table pour présenter nos prod et même un écran de projection si besoin.
    Et bien sûr un accès au FabLab pour les curieux ;)

english:

I return to the "cité des sciences" with lots of good news:
    we would have the "carrefour numérique" for us 19h to 21h and the possibility of having drinks, a space furnished with armchairs, a table to present our prod and even a projector screen if needed.
    And of course access to the FabLab for the curious ;)

so, if you're ok, Paris have his place:
    Cité des sciences
    carrefour numérique (niveau -1)
    metro porte de la Villette
    le 28 fevrier de 19h à 21h

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  3. bartv
    bartv Member
    Good job edddy! I *so* wish I could join you guys in Paris this time!!

4. As the Meetup day is fast approaching I was so wondering when/how do we get the samples. I'm hosting the Meetup in Perth (far away!) It would be embarrassing if they don't arrive on time.

5. vertigopolka
    vertigopolka Member
    Hey Chicagoans!, let's get this party started!

I've taken the flyer that Bart provided and adapted it for the Chicago Meetup. Download the PDF here.
    It includes a QR code to make it easier for people to sign up via cell phone.

As per Bart, be respectful and ask permission when posting.

6. bartv
    bartv Member
    @Mikie2: we will be shipping out the samples tomorrow. Be advised though that we cannot afford to send a sample box to every single meetup, only to the largest ones. The meetups are mostly meant as a social event, so even without sample models you should be able to have a good evening :)

Bart

7. magnusgreni
    magnusgreni Member
    Hello from Norway!
    I'm Magnus, and I finally found a place to meet in Oslo!
    Various architects will open their doors for us on the 28, and I'm very grateful for this collaboration:)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  8. awesome!!! i will be there!

9. bartv
    bartv Member
    @Magnus: wow, that's awesome! Thanks so much for setting that up!

10. bartv
    bartv Member
    Hi Meetup hosts!

Maybe you've already noticed, but we are currently running a site-wide banner for our World Meetup day (see the top of the page). In addition, we'll start some campaigns on Facebook to try and drive more visitors to your events.

Brace for impact! :)

Bart

11. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    Attention Toronto and GTA members: There is a Toronto-based group on MeetUp called 3D Printing Group. I joined their group and I have sent a suggestion to them (surely ONE of them must be a member here?!) that perhaps they can host the Toronto Shapeways World MeetUp Day since they have a regular location that they use... Damn long distance from me but if they do it I'm hoping I can attend.

Glenn

EDIT: I just heard from one of the members of that group. It seems that because many of the office employees (where they meet) will be out of town that day they cannot host the Meet... Very receptive to Shapeways Toronto members meeting there in the future, though.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  12. bartv
    bartv Member
    Nice initiative lensman, thanks! Don't worry about a location too much though - especially with a smaller group, you can always meet in a bar :)

Bart

13. Bathsheba
    Bathsheba Well-Known Member
    I offered to host the Cambridge, MA meetup. My house is actually in Somerville, but since there's only one other person subscribed anyway I figure why not. It's the next town over.

Anyway, I have a bunch of 3D prints, if you want to check them out and/or bring yours, poke the meetup page. I'll announce the address on Wednesday, it's not far from Union Square in Somerville.

14. bartv
    bartv Member
    Hi Bathsheba,

offering your house as a location is amazing, thanks!

Bart

15. We're planning on doing a handful of 3D scans of folks and then have a draw (or two or three) as to see who will get printed via Shapeways.

16. bartv
    bartv Member
    Hey Petr,

nice! Which city are you in?

Cheers,

Bart

17. Bathsheba
    Bathsheba Well-Known Member
    I'm too lazy to move my heap o' stuff anywhere else.

Looks like a few more people signed up, so it's on. :p

18. I'm in Portland, OR. I sent a separate email directly to you last week about the meetup. Didn't hear back.

Petr

19. bartv
    bartv Member
    Hey Petr,

you have an answer in your mail. I got your message yesterday, and things are getting a little busy ;)

Cheers,

Bart

20. bartv
    bartv Member
    meetup-is-here.png

Hi all,

with just two more days until the Shapeways World Meetup, it's time for our final update. Things are getting pretty hectic around here, now that we have meetups in over 80 cities with more than 400 participants! We're all *very* excited to see what's about to happen :)

What can you still do before the meetup?

Please make sure you have selected a location, and add it to the meetup at the top of your page. If the venue is big, explain where people can find you or how they can recognize you.

We're still promoting the event everywhere we can: there is now a banner on every page of Shapeways.com, we have80 targeted campaigns active on Facebook, and we are reaching out to the press, all to get more people to your meetup! You can still promote the event yourself as well: check out the tips above for some ideas.

Also, post on Twitter or Facebook! For our event's hashtag, see below.

Event hashtag: #SWmeetup

We have settled on using the #SWmeetup hashtag on social media. Please use this in all your communication on social media.

What's going to happen during the World Meetup Day?

Well, whatever YOU want ;). But here are some practical things:

- To help people find the spot, we've created a 'Shapeways Meetup is Here' flyer for you. Download it here, print it out, and stick it to the door of your venue (don't forget to ask for permission!).

- When people arrive, introduce yourself and explain how the evening is going to work ('everybody buys their own drinks', for example).

- Not everyone who signs up for a meetup will actually show up. It would be very helpful if you could count the number of visitors and let us know afterwards.

Share your event with the world!

We'll be sharing your stories with the entire worldwide community throughout the entire day! During the event, please share stories, photographs and videos on Twitter (use hashtag #SWmeetup), or mail them to community@shapeways.com. We will collect them and repost everything on our Tumblr blog on https://shapeways.tumblr.com

Also, it would be grand if we could receive a short report of your evening after the event with a cool picture so we can write a blogpost about what happened everywhere.

Do you have any questions?

Let us know if you need help! Either leave a message here, or mail community@shapeways.com. We're here to help!

Anything else?

Oh yeah, before I forget: HAVE FUN!! I hope you'll meet some great people, learn interesting things and have an awesome evening.

Bart and Natalia

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013