Shapeways for Dummies

Discussion in 'Newcomers Lounge' started by 66769_deleted, Jan 18, 2012.

1. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    There is no harm whatsoever in having a "group" project going on here. It's perfectly valid to have "closed" projects where you and a single designer particpate offline, but it's also perfectly valid to have "open" projects where multiple people particpate in getting a design worked out collaboratively. There is room here in the forum for both types of activity.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  2. 66769_deleted
    66769_deleted Member
    thank you for this information i am new to this :confused

3. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
  4. 66769_deleted
    66769_deleted Member
    thanks it is no problem. i am trying to decide right now. this seems to be a hard design so i guess it better to have a bunch of hands working on it

5. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
    It is not really a hard design, it just looks it.
    If you understand the x y z axis, I will try to explain the principle.
    Draw a circle in the x y plane
    Change view to x z plane, change axis to suit making it a new x y plane.
    Copy the circle already drawn in the same place which now looks like a straight line.
    Rotate this new circle 70.5288°. from the origin, which is the center of the circle.
    Go back to original view with original x y plane.
    Pick the new circle which looks like an oval, and either make an array with three copies or copy in place and rotate the new circle 60 degrees twice.
    This will give you a line drawing in 3D
    Genesa Crystal 2.png
    Depending on what software you are using and what type of band you require, you can now create the profile of the band. In sketchup it is the 'followme' command.
    This band could have been created with the first circle.
    Hope you understand this.

I think I have it worked out thanks to 'Magic' with the correct angle of 70.5288°

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  6. 66769_deleted
    66769_deleted Member
    i don't understand everything that you have said, but when you plot this out in 3d or as a solid, it seems to change the image in ways that it is no longer perfectly symmetrical. all i know is that the math has to be precise or the thing will not "work" as a design or with practical functions. How would your fine sketch look animated?

thanks for the time :p :p

7. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
  8. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
    UPDATE
    I think I have it worked out thanks to 'Magic' with the correct angle of 70.5288°
    Please see earlier post
    I will update the STL file.

9. 66769_deleted
    66769_deleted Member
  10. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
    Please see updated flat Genesa Crystal and new round shape.
    You didn't answer my question about what size you require.

11. 66769_deleted
    66769_deleted Member
    what is the smallest size? that will be the one

12. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
    It depends on what material you want, and what you are prepared to pay. I will offer both models for sale at the current sizes to give you an idea on price. Then if you want the model resized I can do that. Please see link
    https://www.shapeways.com/materials/material-options

13. 66769_deleted
    66769_deleted Member
    i guess the plastic, but i have to be able to paint it. which one would that be?