Serious Customer Service Issue

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pilgrim1908, Jun 28, 2012.

1. ZoeBrain
    ZoeBrain Member
    I teach computer science at the Australian National University, including requirements for maintainability.

I think 10x may be an underestimate, I'd budget more, and allow considerable slack in the timeline.

I'm confident they're doing all that is humanly possible.

Had they attempted to get everything done "right" the first time, it would have cost too much to start up and demonstrate a proof of principle, the project would never have gotten off the ground. The development method chosen was entirely appropriate, it just has some inevitable penalty later.

2. ZoeBrain
    ZoeBrain Member
    The latest from the same commenter, now that action is being taken:

3. aeron203
    aeron203 Member
    I completely agree. Even the founders described the intial offering as a "prototype", and it said "beta" right at the top of the site, so this is clearly part of the plan. They now have funding to build it right, but we will have to be patient.

Obviously "10x" was not intended to be a specific quantity, but I should be careful throwing out any sort of numbers around this place. :)

4. I don't want call Zoe's or yours experience into question,
    but broken WSF is hard to imagine (for me)...
    I use breaking points within my sprues, but that s**t just don't want break - I have to cut them apart...

Also, almost all my WSFp models are hollow, with 1mm wall thickness... there is not much room to make them more fragile than they already are...

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  5. ZoeBrain
    ZoeBrain Member
    That's my experience too - nonethless, it happens. Here's one I can guarantee will have a high rate of breakage in polishing:

[​IMG]

This one too - the propeller blades will snap, as the model is fairly chunky, with a lot of momentum.

[​IMG]

6. Pilgrim1908
    Pilgrim1908 Member
    I'm aware that there is little point in entering into an argument here. The nature of the media is such that no positive outcome can be achieved. I would suggest however you reread what I wrote. I never claimed I had a model that had problems, simply that I had been informed of the change of policy. I know this is the case as I saw copy of the email which clearly stated this. So no change of tune, stance or anything else, How I chose to raise issues regarding a matter with a service provider remains my prerogative. I'm happy the natter has been resolved and will make no further comment

Thank you

7. 7943_deleted
    7943_deleted Member
    Hi Guys,

You all raise some good points, we are indeed doing what has never been done before and we rely on your feedback as much as our own research to continually improve our service.

Best,
    Natalia

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  8. noc146
    noc146 Member
    I had the same problems with 1:76 scale model buses. Quality was a lottery. So much so that I ceased all activity at the beginning of this year, and my shop lies idle, waiting for some unspecified time in the future when these issues might be addressed.

Of the models I had printed, I suppose less than half were of acceptable quality. I never sent any back, as I understand that while sending one or two back may be okay, sending lots back is totally impractical, and costly.

I can make some use, with difficulty, of the sub standard models I received. But they are totally unsaleable to anyone else. I am having a hard time selling Shapeways as a good idea among my own modelling community, particularly with a queue of inquiring customers, and my shop effectively closed until further notice.

Specified print orientation will go a long way to solving the issues. A softer material more suitable for railway/aeroplane/vehicle models, but priced closer to WSF, would be a huge step forward too.

9. GWMT
    GWMT Active Member
  10. ZoeBrain
    ZoeBrain Member
    Different market - not in competition.

11. NingHuaDesign
    NingHuaDesign Member
    Where is the feedback section ? It seems to be lost after shapeways' switching to the new look. I had one model printed twice, and I can definitely tell that each was printed in different direction. DIRECTION MATTERS !!

I think a designer should be at least able to decide which direction gets the best surface result. When a designer uploads a model, shapeways should assign a XYZ and allow the designer to decide which direction ( X or Y or Z ) gets the best result.

12. 7943_deleted
    7943_deleted Member
  13. Phxman
    Phxman Member
    I would like to give a shout out for Shapeways.

I have had several prints of various items, and investment in FUD
    certainly makes a difference.

Josh and his crew are obviously looking out for orientation in the loading:
    to keep print marks, if not in the least obvious places, at least on flat surfaces
    that can be burnished easily.

Thank you.

14. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Seconded.
    Also note that the inconsequential message that revived this old thread was from a probable
    spammer whose postings in the other forums have already been removed.

15. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    The spammer should be taken care of for now ;)