Sellers Never Respond

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by brumby90, Jul 18, 2019.

1. brumby90
    brumby90 Member
    Have always wondered why nearly all sellers never respond to messages about their items on here?

Is it just a shapeways issue or are those selling not really dealing with Shapeways anymore

2. CaptH
    CaptH Well-Known Member
    It varies much. I speak as a shop owner and I always try to respond within the same day the message is sent, but the problem I think is about time. I've been a shop owner since about a year and a half, but most people on shapeways have been here for a very long time. So, they do not respond because a), they're not on SW anymore; b), they want to keep their shops but don't want to release anything else; c), they do not care anymore so they don't pay attention to it; d), some people may take some time to respond because they do not check SW every day or are having a busy period. As I said, these are only my guesses but based on what I have known being on this website so far.

3. adbinc
    adbinc Well-Known Member
    I do try to answer, but Shapeways is just part of our business and one of the hats I wear. (I write, proofread, manage the shop here, and manage our stores on PDF vendors, as well as handling marketing and customer service.)

Jean

4. srnjm420
    srnjm420 Well-Known Member
    I have been a shop owner since late 2015. I answer 90% same day and the rest within 24 hours.

Brian

5. catslady123
    catslady123 Well-Known Member
    This can be a struggle for us sometimes too, as we'll get emails from potential customers who are trying to get in touch with shop owners for one reason or another but don't get a response. Even though shop owners don't work for Shapeways and are under no obligation to respond, it's definitely disappointing when someone has a specific question about a model in the marketplace and SW CS can't help :( We get a lot of questions about functionality and fit (as opposed to materials or 3D files from folks ordering their own models) that we aren't necessarily qualified to answer since we aren't the designers, and absolutely appreciate shop owners who do respond to us and to customers who message them. Big thanks to those of you who do!!!

6. barkingdigger
    barkingdigger Well-Known Member
    It raises an interesting question about how SW goes about maintaining contact with designers/shop owners. It is entirely possible that some "shops" were created by owners who no longer look at SW, or no longer remember any login details, or worse - are no longer among the living! IS SW obliged to keep track of designers/shop owners to complete financial transactions regarding mark-ups? We wouldn't want the mark-up to sit in SW's bank when the late designer's estate is due the money...

Malwen likes this.
  7. catslady123
    catslady123 Well-Known Member
    Our Shops T&Cs has the following listed under payments:

If we are unable to provide you with payment because you provided us with incorrect PayPal account information or if you supplied a PayPal account for a country which we cannot send payment (per PayPal dictated restrictions), we will attempt to contact you to obtain correct or valid PayPal account information. If we are unable to obtain corrected information within 90 days of our first attempt to remit payment, you forfeit all rights to that payment and any future payments generated until you provide us with correct information.

The full terms are here: https://www.shapeways.com/legal/shop_terms_and_conditions

So it looks to me like it would be up to the person who would inherit this part of an estate to manage it like any other account or business they inherit (as is the responsibility of any shop owner to keep their payment info for receiving markup up to date). We will attempt to contact a shop owner if we can't pay out markup for any reason other than a minimum threshold not being met, but I'm not sure how we would find out who the lawful owner is if the only contact info we have associated with the shop is that of the late designer's account.

8. barkingdigger
    Hi Erica,

Thanks for the swift reply! I raised the issue because I suspect we are in truly uncharted waters with the rise of 3D printing and other "print/download on demand" book services in recent years that store an author's products and act as fulfilment centres. With a website like SW it is easily possible the designer may not even think to leave details in their wills for their estate to chase, and the inheritors may well simply consign their SW activity to the same dustbin as their other internet activity. We have entered a whole new era of crossover personal & business use of the internet, and it will be interesting to see how it reacts to legal testing. But I'm hoping my own family still have a long wait to get their hands on my sales!...

catslady123 likes this.
  9. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    Somehow I don't think my heirs would notice any lost revenues.

I've had the contacting problem myself since SW contacted my email which I don't check super regularly. At this point I don't log in here very often so even a PM from staff might go unanswered for weeks. Also some people leave questions on product page comments and I don't think they are flagged on SW account home page anywhere so they can fall into the cracks. There's a lot of entropy here, particularly if you have multiple shops.

Not sure what a timely solution would be. Maybe some kind of texting message capability option for quick turnaround? I don't see SW investing in that kind of thing however. Would be nice to receive text alerts for sales other important issues.

10. barkingdigger
    Hadn't even thought about comments on individual product pages! I never check these - do they echo through to PMs or anywhere sensible? Otherwise who's gonna waste time checking dozens of products on a regular basis?

BTW I had to go over to Firefox to even look at my products because that function of the big drop-down box is STILL broken in IE 11 despite being reported some time ago. If SW can't even get its web pages to work consistently what hope is there that they can successfully run a business?

11. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    Does Shopify that sends you an alert on your phone for every sale or other issues? Even my dentist sends email and texts to make sure patients show up for their appointments. I'd assume they are tied into something like Twilio that simplifies the process for them.

12. Model_Monkey
    Model_Monkey Well-Known Member
    I try to respond the same day the message is sent, but sometimes it may take a day or two depending on workload.

Some messages are reasonable requests for information about a design. I am very grateful for the opportunity to respond to requests like those. Sometimes, a customer reports there is a problem with a design. I do my best to correct the design or otherwise correct the problem to the customer's satisfaction. Those efforts are usually, but not always, successful.

As a designer, I do sympathize with a customer not receiving a response from a designer. This is truly frustrating for the customer. But there is another side to that issue that customers may not be aware of.

Unfortunately, most messages I receive as a designer are not reasonable requests for information or requests for work. All too often, the message is simply an unreasonable request for free design work or a request for a significant, modification to an existing design, the modification to be done for free, of course. Those messages are frequent, and taken together are very discouraging and distract from meaningful, revenue-producing work. Some designers with whom I correspond and coordinate privately, have told me that because they get swamped with so many unreasonable, time-consuming requests, that those designers have stopped responding to messages altogether. They do so in order to continue to perform the meaningful work that keeps them in business within the time available to them.

Sometimes, the number and vitriol of unreasonable requests simply overwhelms a designer and he or she walks away.

Some examples of typical, unreasonable requests I often receive:

1. Many messages are requests for me to research and design a new product with no promise to buy it. The customer wants the model completely researched and designed, to be able to review it and direct any changes, and if the price of the completed object is acceptable, only then to make a purchase. The reason this kind of request is not reasonable is because it ignores the cost of the research and design work assumed and paid for by the designer as well as the cost of the time involved (time = money), with no obligation for the requester to pay for anything, ever. On the occasions I asked for a down payment to get started on the design, the requester normally went silent. I never heard from them again. The time spent in corresponding with the requester and considering the project was lost.

2. Many people have asked me to create designs for them and promised to buy when complete. I completed the work based on that promise to buy. Too many times, the customer failed to follow through with the promised purchase. My family and I paid for that research and design time. I normally decline requests for new products that do not have sufficient market demand to pay for the research and design time necessary to create them. The times I did accept a request for a product with no sales potential, I usually got burned.

3. Some requests are simply bizarre. One person asked me to create a set of battleship turrets for him. During the course of our time-intensive correspondence, he revealed to me that he wanted me to create the models not because he wanted to buy them, but because he wanted to populate a personal database of aftermarket products for model ships he was creating. He wanted the research and design work to be done at my expense, naturally.

4. Some requests are not realistic with respect to cost. One person asked me to research and design a complete battleship superstructure in 1/128 scale (that would be a really, really big model), and to "be sure to keep the cost under $35 [USD]". The research and design work, of course, was to be done for free. This is just one example among many like it.

5. Some requests are not realistic with respect to time. I often receive demands for big projects to be completed immediately, the design work to be done for free, of course. I once received a request on a Friday stating that the modeler would have next week off work and wanted me to have sets of cannons of various sizes researched and accurately designed by Sunday night, and to make sure they got printed and delivered to the customer on Monday. He did say he was willing to pay for expedited shipping.

6. Some messages are complaints about issues designers can't fix. Many people send me a message to complain about the cost of products or the unavailability of a 3D-printed material. Those messages are usually rude, directly accusing me of "outrageous" price gouging or deliberately withholding materials. Some of those messages include manipulative, insulting statements like, "I could get a high school student to design and print the [object] for a lot less". My typical response to those kinds remarks goes something like, "If that is true, by all means, please do so". 3D printing is expensive. Custom design work is expensive. Some people are frustrated by that and take out their frustration on the designer.

7. Some messages are requests for work that is not legal. I have received messages asking me to copy other people's work and offer it for less, or create models of objects explicitly protected by copyright. Since doing so violates copyright laws, the message is effectively a request to commit a crime, and the tone or text of the message indicates that the requester knows this. I normally don't respond to those messages and I certainly don't create the design. If the request appears to be made in ignorance of copyright laws, I simply inform the requester of that and decline the request.

8. Some messages are complaints about the print quality of a product the customer received. As the designer, not the printer, I normally direct those customers to Shapeways' customer service for resolution. I am deeply grateful for the efforts of Shapeways' customer service reps in resolving those issues.

I am certain other designers have all had their share of unreasonable requests very much like the examples cited above. It is a part of being a designer and seller. Sometimes, as stated above, the number and vitriol of those kinds of messages simply overwhelms a designer and he or she walks away.

On the other hand, not receiving a response from a designer is frustrating. I get that. It is no fun to be treated that way. The best I can do as a designer is courteously respond to reasonable, courteous requests. I may not respond to an unreasonable, discourteous one.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    mdlbldrmatt135 and HiPerrine like this.
  13. Officialdregs
    Officialdregs Member
    hello all,
    recently new here but always browse the model railroad section.

I recently sent two inquire messages to a couple of store owners to learn the compatibility of established, mass produced locomotive bodies to which both sellers haven't said a word. I sent both messages on Feb 5th and nothing from the both of them.

After browsing, I notice one of them have a "Hire me" feature and I had to laugh. I feel if you haven't been active on here for more than 30 days, something like that should be grey out or removed due to lapse time of operation as their main website indicates is gone or never was. Even on a browser game I play, nationstate, you receive emails of your country being inactive after 30 days which would do wonders for this site. Why would anyone want to hire someone who isn't replying to messages or show lack of activity on their respective storefront.

14. bwterrainforge
    bwterrainforge Well-Known Member
    In general there is alot of cracks that people get lost in with Shapeways (SW). It goes both ways. Personally I take communication from potential customers via messages, social media posts, emails, and a whole slew via social media and my Shopify store. I try to do a response that day or as soon as possible, My personal montra is, If I don't answer the customer they will go somewhere else.

Now with SW communicates to designers with the email used to sign up with. SW is a low touch service there is no other way they communicate with designers besides email. Heck I complain to them when they give us a few days notice of mateirial changes or cost changes. Heck my personal account just got an email saying us shipping is going down, no details yet my offficial email from shapeways didnt get anything.

At a high level whether you use shapeway's marketplace to sell or you export to say Shopify or Etsy Shapeways will send you send emails to the email on file . If purchased on the SW marketplace, an email saying a product was sold and if the person bought the item with an account there is a link suggesting the designer reach out and thank the customer via the SW messages platform or for sales through Shopify or Etsy, an email saying an order was received.

Also if the designer has sold enough products that their combined markup exceeds 35.00 USD, an email will be sent out around the 15th of the month saying you have been sent a payment.

Then after that the emails are spotty. If the print tech feels the model will fail they will send a please help us fix email to the email on file. If the email goes un answered, SW will cancel that item from the order and will block the item from being ordered again.

If an item wasn't printed with the current material specs it will be listed as "Success Rate: First To try" once the print is completed SW will send an email to the designer stating it was successful and products will now have no success rate label. Also SW will not send an email to the designer about the success of the print on orders afterwards.

I have had products that I turned off because a material might not be a caliber I feel is good enough . For example Versatile Plastic shows it will print gaming miniatures but honestly the quality is horrible. So I went trough turned off the material. Then every so often Ill see a sale come through for one of these products will see a product was reactivated and then need to reach out to the customer suggesting they cancel that item and order it in an approved material all while I go through and turn the material back off.

Also If there has been a change to the materials like we went through with Fine Detail all products/models get reset to First to Try.

Now for example you for follow a designer to keep up to date on new products and if the designer wanted could post about sales or other topics. Yet for years now this feature has been broken and nothing is sent to possible customers.

Now as for communicating with designers, Each shop has the ability to add social media links, and an intro blurb that allows links to emails or websites. And then each product is given a contact designer link which will send an email to the email on file. Lastly SW lets designs offer customization and the designer can choose Custom Requests and another email can be generated for customer work vs questions.

Now what does this all mean for contacting a designer. All it means is SW has one email to use to get ahold of a designer. Also they have a paypal email to send payments to. The problem is SW wont go the extra distance to share anything besides here is a contact form. If the designer decides its not worth the effort but hey I still get a check maybe each month. Its a set it an forget it model.

So what can you do? All you can do is check the social media links if they are shared. Maybe google the persons account/shop name.

Good luck on your search