Rhodium or Silver

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arcathorn, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Arcathorn
    Arcathorn Member
    This might seem like a silly question...but what im wondering is why you would choose Rhodium plated as opposed to silver?

The price difference is about the same and it would seem to me that a core of silver is still prefereable to a plated brass. Am I the only one confused on this? Why would you choose that over Silver?

I am very glad to see the other choices I am just curious to the thought process behind this?

2. PennyCharmer
    PennyCharmer Member
    I'm still learning about.. well.. everything.. but my understanding is that Rhodium is both a more expensive metal than silver and also a whiter metal than silver. So, you might choose to use Rhodium over silver for the status or for the aesthetic.

3. Daphne
    Daphne Well-Known Member
    There is indeed a small difference in appearance. I ordered a rhodium coated ring once from a competitor, and it was a bit brighter. But the coating were off within 3 weeks on the inside. So only silver for me.

4. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Rhodium will not tarnish under normal conditions.

5. J999
    J999 Member
    The best way is Sterling Silver + Rhodium plated, but Shapeways doesn't offer this soluton and It's a real pity.
    Anyway I prefer to spend my money for a noble metal like Silver and not with Brass + Rhodium Plated (0.5 micron).
    In my opinion

6. jardar
    jardar Member
    0.5 µm plating wears off, silver tarnishes. Regarding looks - not necessarily such a big difference:

[​IMG]

One on the left is premium silver, middle is rhodium plated (it arrived today!) and on the right... ten pence, nickel plated. :)

7. J999
    J999 Member
    Rhodium plated, in my opinion is useless with the brass. The ideal is silver with rhodium plating.

8. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    You stated as much before, but it might help to know your reasoning. Is it because you want the item to be valuable (and hence expensive for the buyer), or to avoid a stark contrast when the plating wears off in places ? (The latter would probably be an issue with rings, but probably less so with a brooch or even some kind of sculpture or window decoration that is seldom touched)

9. J999
    J999 Member
    If they cost the same, I think it is preferable to have the silver.
    With the brass rhodium, if the object is subjected to wear, the risk is that the color can emerge, once the finish of Rhodium is consumed.

At the same cost I find no valid reasons to prefer the brass rhodium.
    The rhodium-plated finish can be done anytime and costs 20 euro