Release October 26th, 2011

Discussion in 'Official Announcements' started by pete, Oct 26, 2011.

1. mctrivia
    mctrivia Well-Known Member
    actually internet explorer is starting to get pretty good at following standards with IE9.

Google crome is the only browser to pass Acid 3, but IE9 and Firefox both get a score of 100%(which is not a pass because they get a few errors in running the test)

Browser compliance for HTML5(source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_browsers\)
    Google Chrome 341/450
    Mozilla Firefox 313/450
    Apple Safari 293/450
    Opera 286/450
    Internet Explorer 141/450

well they aren't doing so well in HTML5 so far but they are usually behind. Personally Firefox is my favorite.

2. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    @pete i have no clue about blender - found it to be more annoying then zbrush..

I'm certain there are renderes for blender with textures options that produce realistic images - Bart surely knows about them.

3. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Pete et al,

I'm not particularly fussed about my own experience with 3D view and ther IE anomalies, but the ~18% of visitors to my model pages might be... so being blase about browser choice is not a good show is it?

Paul

4. pete
    pete Shapeways Employee CEO
    @TurtlesAreCool thanks for the pointer! I'll have a look-see!

@stop4stuff you did notice my "joke" reference?
    We did test the 3D viewer on IE7/8/9 and as said on the test models, we had no problems. On certain other models you guys have found there are, so we are fixing ok?

In general we do test extensively on Chrome (Win/Linux/Apple), Firefox (Win/Linux/Apple), Safari, IE 7/8/9, Opera, but also on iPad iOS3/4/5, also iPhone and Android etc so you can see balancing quality and speed is quite tedious.

Pete

5. woody64
    woody64 Well-Known Member
    The viewer now also works on my Ubuntu system, that's great. So I also assume it works on many customer systems now, which had also problems before that's also great.

@dizingof: I like the idea of the gif, how do you create this?

What would be nice to have the possibility to get a snapshot of the item from another angle for use as default image.
    The snapshot should result in the same colors and feeling of the default one to have it easily mixed with the real default images.
    Since the uploaded stl is maybe more orientated to printing it may not be suitable for viewing.

6. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Is there any reason that the 3d View is available on some models and not on others?

I only see the 3d icon on about 15 of my models. It's missing from the rest. Doesn't seem to be by upload date or such.

7. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member

You can use your renderer if it has this option then use any free gif maker to bind the frames to one gif.

8. pete
    pete Shapeways Employee CEO
    @stonysmith
    We are rendering all models for use with the 3D viewer this will take some time (weeks....) as we are rendering over 150,000 models!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  9. erckgillis
    erckgillis Member
  10. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    I didn't realize that it was a separate process. NO WORRIES.. take as much time as you need.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  11. woody64
    woody64 Well-Known Member
    Would be great to have a possibility to do that also manually by designer request:
    - Would give us the possibility to add the most needed/popular ones
    - Would also overcome your cpu limitations

Maybe you remember the changed default image, which are still not updated for all (I think you have stopped it due to cpu costs).
    Looks still ugly on the pages and the only way to deal with it from designer side is to upload the 3d file once more.

Woody64