Problem: in Blender i get a smooth object but in shapeways i get blocks..

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by janis, Jun 18, 2014.

1. janis
    janis Member
    Hi

Something goes wrong ...

In blender it's smooth but when i upload to shapeways i get flat/block version..

What do i do wrong?

For the smooth i used "Shading: Smooth"

gr.

Attached Files:

2. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Turn off all visual effects, 3D printers can't see and they only print the underlaying structure of the model.
    I don't know Blender so can't really say how to subdivide and smooth surfaces in the software, but it should be possible.
    Hopefully someone more knowledgeable with Blender will help you out.

Paul

3. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    Like Paul says, when you upload to SW you are uploading the mesh of the Model. Blender (like other programs) has all sorts of ways to make your Model look nicer that do not affect the mesh and these are no use to you.

What you are looking for is a Modifier called Subsurf or Subdivision Surface - this actually adds more geometry to your Model AND smooths it. For any Edges that you do not want smoothed, set the Crease Weight to 1.0

You can also add more geometry yourself using options such as Loop Cut and Slide or Knife if the SubSurf is not working exactly how you want.

SubSurf can be difficult to get to grips with, as how it works is completely dependant on how you have created your mesh, but it is also a very powerful/useful tool and so worth playing around with.

4. Keymaker
    Keymaker Well-Known Member
    i downloaded your blend file and you have basically two problems.

1. normals are inverted (fix: in edit mode select all and pres ctrl+n)
    2. never use smooth shading with models for 3d printing. Use flat shading to see how it will be printed.

If you want to smooth model, you simply need to add enough geometry. Usually with subsurf as AmLachDesigns wrote...

5. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    Shading: Flat (previously called Solid) so you see what printers create. Then follow the other tips about adding more polygons by hand or modifiers.