Printing to full color plastic / sandstone from sketchup.

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by 652082_deleted, Nov 24, 2014.

1. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Such warping of the texture will happen when there are errors in the underlying geometry - shapeways' site software will try to fix problems, but this can lead to addition or removal of vertices that is not reflected in the texture mapping. I do not know sketchup, but I read here that it is quite easy to add unwanted vertices and faces just by drawing across an existing face. Perhaps go back to the untextured geometry, and make sure that you see edges, faces, lines only where you expect them ?

2. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
    Your model is not manifold, you have faces missing.

I exported the file as an stl into Netfabb repaired it then imported it back into Sketchup.

Cleaned all the extra lines with CleanUp³ http://bit.ly/1rvY91i

The model is now manifold if you try your textures on this it should upload OK.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  3. I downloaded your attachment, there were 2 models in that .skp file. On was all white and one with colors. Im assuming that I was supposed to use the colored one, which had some spots where it was missing a wall. What do I do?

Untitled2.png

4. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
    The coloured model is your original as it was opened.

I have not touched it, except to export as stl and import back from Netfabb.

The white model is the one that is manifold from Netfabb. The idea was to use your textures on this.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  5. Sparkshot
    Sparkshot Well-Known Member
    Can anyone explain HOW to do full colour in Sketchup so everything works on Shapeways?

I've asked several times in a few threads but never get anything other than a vauge answer saying you need them zipped up with seperate textures but this doesn't actually explain how to do it.

Any basic tutorials???

6. Sparkshot
    Sparkshot Well-Known Member
    Almost a year later and all I can hear is distant dog barks, leaves blowing across the road and birds tweeting.

Does ANYONE know?? I've still been looking online for a tutorial using full colour from Sketchup.

Surely there must be someone who's wrote a basic tutorial. Shapeways staff perhaps?

The sooner someone can comprehensively answer the question the sooner WE can potentially make some money with the option. I've got plenty of things I want to do with it and am sick of being in the dark quite frankly. I know I can be a whingy git but at the moment I don't think there's anything else can do.

Can't be done unless you know what you are doing. Also Shapeways released the option but no help regarding how which makes little sense.

?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2023
  7. lucieant
    lucieant Member
    i dont care about the details and being realistic because its not, i just want a newer version with that gap filled in with more about a small world cup