new model page

Discussion in 'Bug Reporting' started by stop4stuff, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    I looked the new page from a custumer point of view, and it is not bad at all (Windows Vista / IE8).
    Once the description is expanded the design is very clear:
    - I see the picture
    - I choose the material
    - I "add to cart" or "personalize"

Beside to the description that should always be expanded, just two extra things:
    - when there is only one material available, do not allow to show the select material "list" because it is really not obvious to understand if the only available material is selected or not.
    - the personalize page is still following the old design, this is very confusing.

2. Dexter
    Dexter Member
    The 3D Java applet throws an exception on my pc. Firefox 6.0.2. on Ubuntu with the Java plugin 1.6.0_26 :

exception: Found unsigned entry in resource: http://download.java.net/media/jogl/builds/archive/jsr-231-1 .x-webstart-current/jogl.jar.
    com.sun.deploy.net.JARSigningException: Found unsigned entry in resource: http://download.java.net/media/jogl/builds/archive/jsr-231-1 .x-webstart-current/jogl.jar
    at com.sun.javaws.security.SigningInfo.getCommonCodeSignersForJ ar(SigningInfo.java:411)
    at com.sun.javaws.security.SigningInfo.check(SigningInfo.java:2 76)
    at com.sun.javaws.LaunchDownload.checkSignedResourcesHelper(Lau nchDownload.java:1741)
    at com.sun.javaws.LaunchDownload.checkSignedResources(LaunchDow nload.java:1508)
    at sun.plugin2.applet.JNLP2Manager.prepareLaunchFile(JNLP2Manag er.java:1161)
    at sun.plugin2.applet.JNLP2Manager.loadJarFiles(JNLP2Manager.ja va:473)
    at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager$AppletExecutionRunnable.ru n(Plugin2Manager.java:1496)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
    Exception: com.sun.deploy.net.JARSigningException: Found unsigned entry in resource: http://download.java.net/media/jogl/builds/archive/jsr-231-1 .x-webstart-current/jogl.jar

3. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    3D view is broken for IE, Firefox and Chrome at least - noted in point 3 in op.

4. cbfasi
    cbfasi Member
    https://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=6411&a mp;prevloaded=1&&start=0

1) Would prefer edit page to default set as 'on'.
    Definately agreed. Its most annoying.
    Normally when a designer clicks to this page they want to edit..

14) Crappy and unnecessary image cropping.
    This may mean designers have to do extra work to show an images that shows all of the model..
    It has provided no benifit.

20) No obvious way to delete a model.
    This used to be on click, now I got no idea..

27) Materials selector on edit page is now a jumble. The convenient remove all materials button has gone and so has the materials grouping.
    Major backwards move unless the model is printable in all products, makes the designer spend much more time just setting it up right. When it used to relatively easy and swift.

32) Compulsorary reason for model update is not necessary and adds to workflow.
    This ought to be optional, not forced.

34) Currency on the model page should be what the logged-in user has chosen as their currency.
    Very much agreed

In my honest opinion these changes are changes that have not be clearly thought about. It seems like a few people had ideas without really looking at what the benifit is. If there is not benifit to a change why change, after all your not making changes just for the sake of it.. or are you..

These ideas need fully thinking, and although done in a bad way, at least your getting feedback about them from your users.

Next time get us to test and evaluate, I am sure you will get a better release result.

5. 69292_deleted
    69292_deleted Member
    My biggest issue is not being able to delete models. I've looked seemingly everywhere. How could such a critical function go overlooked?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  6. AlanHudson
    AlanHudson Shapeways Employee Dev Team
    I'm looking into this problem. It's happening for all users right now. Something changed at Sun/Oracle that we depend on, tracking down what.

7. Automaster
    Automaster Member
    Okay, it's Monday and after 2pm eastern time, surely some work has been done by now. It is critical that you fix the 3D viewer. That's the only way I will know 100% for sure that my NEWLY uploaded models are ready to print. Please fix this if nothing else TODAY!

By the same token, I know technology stuff is never as simple as it seems. I just hope that someone is doing something[/] to correct these changes so we can all get back to business as usual. Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  8. AlanHudson
    We're working on it. I don't have an expected release time yet.

9. AlanHudson
    I should make it clear that I'm just working on the 3D model viewer problems in this thread. I'm not speaking about the rest of the model page issues raised.

I have a fix for the 3d model viewer problem and hope to have it out in today's push. It's in testing currently.

10. afrodri
    afrodri Member
    By "It" do you mean all of the issues mentioned so far, or the 3D viewer, or deleting models?

Is the plan to try and fix the current version of the interface, or just to revert to the old (i.e. functional) interface?

11. bartv
    bartv Member
    Hi all,

Oh my! I havent' been able to touch base with our development team about this yet, but I feel truly bad about this one. I'll get on top of this and get back to you with more information as soon as I can (which may be a little slower than I may like as I'm heading for London in two days to work at TENT).

In the mean time, do keep posting your feedback, by all means.

Bart

12. Bathsheba
    Bathsheba Well-Known Member
    Shop sections are still missing from the new interface.

PLEASE ADD THIS FEATURE BACK ASAP!

I have designs up that are topical, that belong to a major media corporation, that I cannot give them a widget for until this is fixed.

Thanks...

13. AlanHudson
    The 3D viewer has been restored. Sorry for the problems.

14. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    I still don't see the icon on any page that I visit.
    I'm using Win7/IE9 .. it was working last week.

15. 9694_deleted
    9694_deleted Member
    Hey all,

Following your feedback the dev team made a few fixes.

- You can now delete models through your MyDesigns page
    - Not for sale items now have their prices hidden
    - We've restored the option for a user to remove their own comment

There were many things about this release that weren't up to par. Please know that there are more fixes on the way.

Many of you guys had questions and confusion about why we released when we did. I hope I can help shed some light on things. This release was scheduled for Wednesday, which then got pushed to Thursday. The process took our dev team until late into the night, which meant many of you woke up to it on Friday morning (right when I was heading off to Maker Faire NY...). While it may have seemed that we pushed this out on Friday and then left it, Josh and the product team actually monitored your feedback all weekend, and even implemented some changes over the weekend that they recognized were truly critical. We were doing everything we could to ensure we didn't just leave you hanging.

This particular UI change was targeted to make the experience easier for shoppers and first-time designers. While opinions vary, I think some of you already noted that you think the UI looks good from a shopper's view. We want to bring more shoppers to your shops, and hopefully after fixes, this will end up paying off .

Even though we botched a lot of things on this release, we're moving into a phase where changes are going to be made often, and I'm confident that we're going to get good at it quickly.

I really thank you for your patience and your feedback. I'm keeping my eye on this thread closely so I can continue to address your thoughts and reactions.

16. mctrivia
    mctrivia Well-Known Member
    I don't know if you are intentionally vague but your post says nothing about actually trying to prevent screw ups like this from happening,

I would like to here someone say the words "We will implement a update checklist to prevent this from happening again and here are the steps..."

You really do need to implement a site update checklist like the one I posted earlier. This should never have happened the first time. let alone the fact this is the second or third time this year. Testing is important.

Making changes effects everyone so keep us in the loop before you make them.

That said this will be a good step forward for the customer. For the designer it is currently a few steps backwards with the only good thing being that it is easier to see markups in every material as well as to change the markup in every material.

17. 71054_deleted
    71054_deleted Member
    Any information when the download issue will be fixed? I need to download my own model.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  18. fakebusker83
    fakebusker83 Member
    There have been may points brought up over the weekend, and I'm not sure if the points I'm bringing up has been mentioned before. If they are I apologise.

The image upload function is pretty bad. There is no feedback to let me know if the image is loading or if it is going to be uploaded successfully. A page refresh doesn't work all the time in showing the newly uploaded image.

The order the materials are arranged in on the right column feels random. It frustrates me to keep scrolling up and down to find all the coloured Strong Flexibles, for example. If the materials can be grouped to their families (much like how the old layout does) and separated by dividers, it will be much easier to work with.

This one has been mentioned before, and I want to say it again. Needing to click 'more' to read the product description is needlessly distracting.

However, I'd like to say that I really like how I can easily edit the markup fees on the main page without needing to go to product inventory. Kudos to that.

I also like how images can be viewed full-screen. We just need to be able to upload large enough images to make this feature worth it.

19. aegidian
    aegidian Member
    Thanks for those fixes, looking forward to seeing those other fixes ASAP so I can get back to modelling and creating content for you. I still can't do that until the truncated description and shop sections are fixed.

Well that sucked deeply. And yet it was a repeat of the situation you had before and promised wouldn't happen again.

I really want to know what you are going to do to avoid this situation in future. Because despite your 'best' efforts, a lot of people felt that they were left without support and with (what is still) a non-functional, inferior UI.

Good, because this debacle came very close to me losing my enthusiasm for Shapeways. There are alternatives.

20. unellenu
    unellenu Member
    I'm mostly OK with the new page just had a look at it today (aside from my usual response to any change which is not ever generally positive). At least there is not so much scrolling down the page neccessary as before.
    My only thing that I'm quite unhappy :( about is the way that all my squarish images are now zoomed in and cropped (with the new aspect ratio) . As I have over 200 models currently on Shapeways (some hidden some showing) it is too much time for me to resize every one.
    I'd prefer my images to have white strips down the side rather than be cropped so much that the product is only half visible.

Janelle.