new model page

Discussion in 'Bug Reporting' started by stop4stuff, Sep 16, 2011.

1. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member

If a designer has more than one image, there are next/previous image buttons on over the image itself, but note, you will find many models than only have the standard Shapeways render, so there will be no option to see another image.

The 3D view is currently broken, but will be looked into.

Materials are a choice for the designer, if a design will not work in a certain material, the designer will (should) not make the design available in that material.

& Welcome to Shapeways :)

2. mctrivia
    mctrivia Well-Known Member
    Flipped my screen around to landscape and found that the price in US dollars is available. Just not default and impossible to set to US dollars when in portrait(see image on previous page)

3. I agree to that it might be not easy to find, especially for new members... but there is a link.
    Just click on the shop logo.

L.jpg

;)

4. ceramicwombat
    ceramicwombat Member
    The new interface steals attention from what should be the focus of each product page, the model itself. The photos are awkwardly cropped and the additional graphic elements are unnecessary. The basic template for the product page should have taken a step toward simplicity rather than zazz. Shapeways should supply ergonomic, streamlined tools. We, the artists, will supply the zazz.

Add me as a voice requesting the reversion to the previous style of product page.

5. stop4stuff
    Which model is that and does the 3D viewer work for you?

6. That's your "Check Rope" ring.
    But the link back to the shop's main page is on every model page.

Yesterday, the 3d view worked (if I allow the scripts from shapeways.com and java.net) in Firefox.
    I got an error message in Opera, but that might depend on my browser settings.
    At the moment it seems like the 3d view is completely disabled.

7. aegidian
    aegidian Member
    These are the design changes I'd like to see - after the the bugs have been fixed.

Design notes on the 'customer' model page:
    [​IMG]

Design notes on the 'edit' model page:
    [​IMG]

8. 71054_deleted
    71054_deleted Member
    Thanks for adding the download bugs to your list stop4stuff! I'm so disappointed I can't access my files.

Anyone else wondering why they decided to introduce this on a Friday??

9. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    To have a maximum of feedbacks before they go back to work on Monday?

:twisted:

10. afrodri
    afrodri Member
    Adding my voice to this (though I think others have said this as well):

What happened to the convenient "add all materials" to the available materials? It is really annoying having to click each material.

Is it just me, or is there no way to put models into store categories? I have several dozen models, each at different scales, so the current interface makes it pretty much impossible for people to find what they want. This is a CRITICAL feature for me.

The page view counter is missing as well

11. stop4stuff
    Cheers afrodri :)
    points already added... but if you think of or spot any more jump in and shout ;)

12. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Shapeways: I fully agreee that the descriptions should not be limited in size. We're trying to sell products here, and the images and descriptions are our major marketing tools.

I myself don't care for the blue triangle to the left of "Add to Cart".

I'm running IE9 on Win7 I have YET to see a single icon anywhere for 3dView - even on pages that others see it. Note: 3d view worked fine for me till Thursday.

Community: Let's keep it civil here. Now is not the time to rant about changes made on a Thursday night.. Now is the time to get it fixed, then deal with how to handle changes better NEXT time.

13. stop4stuff
    Stony,
    Interactive 3D for IE users is excluded in the coding - see my opening post, item #3 - for all other browser users it is broken anyway.

I think the community are being civil considering the fact that this has been dumped on us with no changes possible before Monday.

14. 67207_deleted
    67207_deleted Member
    I think most of the issues have been stated already.

The new layout is an absolute no-go especially the overview is totally lost!

Just change it back. Why fix things that ain´t broken.

15. 35653_deleted
    35653_deleted Member
    As most of the issues have been covered already, I just want to add one more vote for reverting the model page to the way it was before, as well as letting us test these changes before they are made permanent!

16. bluelinegecko
    bluelinegecko Well-Known Member
    I like some things about the new interface, though I prefer the old one for some things too.

But lets face it...With this many blatantly obvious bugs, how many people at Shapeways REALLY thought this was READY to be released again? They should have caught a large majority of these testing on their own systems before it was released. And this is the 2nd time in a few weeks they did that.

I love shapeways, but seriously guys you need to do better. Either a Beta server or select a group of volunteers to beta their pages for you. It's obvious this needed more work and wasn't quite ready.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  17. Gosric
    Gosric Member
    My gods it is a bad layout, was there actually anything wrong with it before. Change can be a good thing, but definitely not this time.
    I am convinced this will hurt sales of my stuff. Page layout is the first selling tool we have. Change it back.

18. afrodri
    afrodri Member
    Yes, I've already had (would be) customer complaints about the new layout. I'm going to suspend my advertizing until this is sorted out. There is no point pursuing new customers if they are just going to become frustrated at the layout.

19. woody64
    woody64 Well-Known Member
    And it happened once more:

1) @ana: can you please clarify why this once more happens on Friday. I think it was discussed heavily during the last weeks.
    The current stuff restricts designers from working and buyers from buying.
    At least it's annoying that such a change has been once more made leaving the shapeway's users alone for the weekend.

2) For me the design is ugly (maybe that's my personal taste), but even worse it's much more fuzzy then before.

3) Somebody summarized the list of testing step. It's not understandable why this principle isn't followed?

4) Ever thought to split buying interface from editing interface. Wouldn't that make life easier. Since editing from designers point of view is a complete other work flow then buying from customers.

5) Why not leave the old interface and build up two new ones: one for buying one for editing properties.

6) Usability ? Things easy to reach ? All functionality available ? Grouping of items ???? Saving changes ?? ............

7) Communication and interaction with the community. (would have been achieved very easily with 3)

:( :( :( :(

20. TreadshotA1
    TreadshotA1 Member

Firefox is set to "Enable Javascript: On".

The pane that's supposed to come up never shows up at all on Firefox.

*Just tried it before posting this. Still does not work. I've tried it without a Popup blocker, still does nothing.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011