new model page

Discussion in 'Bug Reporting' started by stop4stuff, Sep 16, 2011.

1. aegidian
    aegidian Member
    @Josh Levine

You have chosen to release this page design without testing it with us designers first.

You have chosen to release this page design on a Friday, again, when most of Shapeways support will be unable to respond to criticism of the design that comes in over the weekend.

In my opinion, those are two very poor decisions.

Did you not chose to read the criticisms made when you inflicted the previous iteration of this design on us all?

2. virtox
    virtox Active Member Moderator
    @lensman: what browser/os combo are you using?

I cannot reproduce it, as soon as I hit "OK" it saves the info, switching to off or navigating away has no influence for me (firefox/win7)

The previous edit box was actually a rich text edit box.
    The new one only shows the source.

3. mctrivia
    mctrivia Well-Known Member

Yep shapeways has a history of releasing things full of bugs. They also have a history of making changes that look nice but don't work.

The good news is it looks like they are finally figuring out to limit ajax usage to when needed.

Shapeways set up beta.shapeways.com and put proposed new formats up there until you get the bugs fixed then switch over to the main site. Never ever put up untested code on the main page. This is code practice rule 1 and those breaking this rule really should be fired.

Also get use to using
    Code:
    <? echo SUBDOMAIN; ?>shapeways.com
    define SUBDOMAIN in a seperate file that never changes(don't forget to add the period on the end. This way if you need the domain it will always show correct. Use the power of PHP to prevent mistakes.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  4. 3401_deleted
    3401_deleted Well-Known Member
    Please don't copy Facebook. The descriptions aren't boring OMG comments, they are an important part of the product page.

Full text MUST be shown by default without any other user action.

5. stop4stuff... some of the issues you convey are fixed if you open a second account - serverside data got messed up :twisted: :rolleyes: :confused

AAAAARRRRRGGGGGG!!!! (says stop4stuff) ;)

6. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    This sounds like repeating the above points, but some general notes anyway: New interface seems to require a lot of clicking, just to check (= read) things, click, to change them, click and some more clicks, maybe to scroll (materials list), maybe to open or activate (currency selector)... and other parts are "guess what you can edit" or what you can write (no drop down clue in country selector, type a single letter, nothing happens). Well, probably the web trend, when it started links were underlined, selectors were fixed to OS type, etc, as years passed, the obsession with "clean" or cutting down texts got rid of the visual clues or option to say things... but in the end noise is going up, both in visual and in interaction sense. Maybe so much clicking is fine in a phone or make people feel more involved, others use full control in big screens, and just want things done fast.

One example, just count how many frame inside frame in the edit item page: side grey, then white, then thick blue line that connects to the shapeways header, white again, blue box, white box with rounded corners, followed by a blue box with inner shadow that has a white zone that you can scroll up and down to check the images. View mode has some less, but has to crop the images so a dark (?) control bar fits.

mctrivia: SW is beta, check the header pink dot. They should open alpha. ^_^

7. TreadshotA1
    TreadshotA1 Member
    Have to reply, I hate the new model page for all the reasons everyone else has already said.

To peat the ones I hate the most:

1) Edit Page is still NOT set as the default. That's a huge pain.
    2) the new Upload page requires a drop down menu to choose scale. Go back to the Radio Buttons please, they are so much better. One less click, and they just look better.
    3) where is the button to models to Shop Categories?
    4) the select material box looks ugly. It's a huge banner, like someone said "our webpage lacks something, let's just put a sticky note on it", and looks like a speech bubble from a bad comic strip.
    5) the whole pages loads and runs slower. Much slower. Too many graphics, probably. I'm running i5 with 8GB ram, and it's still slow.

I'm sorry SW, but I hate this new page. Ive come across the tests (which usually lasted about a day or two) before, and I always hated them. I hate it even more now. A lot more. Mainly because this could end up being the norm. Sorry, just my 2 cents.

EDIT: I'm running Firefox on Windows 7, and also Safari on the iPad. Slow to load on both, looks ugly on both.

8. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member

Deleting a model is gone

Deleting the whole shop doesn't work.

9. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    Shop Catergories? Do you mean the two selectors under Keywords? That one seems to be of the few that is direct and non themed, click drop down and pick an entry, you are allowed 2, so 2 selectors.

10. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    Yep, no more way to delete a model... :(
    You tried that??? Did you bet it would not work or did you really intend to delete your shop? :eek:

Am I the only one to have the "My Shop Material" list going out of its window (Windows7 / IE9)

11. mctrivia
    mctrivia Well-Known Member
    All the time. Have to turn my screen to landscape to use. Sucks.

12. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    I dont bet - only the URL of the shop was deleted - all designs remain. not erased.

13. Do you see the little cube icon above your shop logo ?

L.jpg

Really good hidden, because the buttons are in the line of the model title... -.-"

Dislikes:

The right column is waaaay to wide.

Informations about the designer + avatar + shop logo in the left column. I think you should leave them in the right column.

Two profile pics ? (avatar & shop logo)
    Does anyone use two different images for that ?

The structure of the columns...
    The buttons to change between photo view and 3d view are within the line for the headline, the shop logo falls in the description text (which means we waste a lot of space below the shop logo), a bunch of wasted space in the right column...

And something seems wrong with the pricing option.
    Due to VAT, shouldn't the US price be an other than the price for a country within europe?

Actually I like changes...
    But this reminds me to the "good ideas" about layout which MySpace had in october 2010...

14. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    On many of my models .. the 3d icon is missing. Why isn't the 3dView icon in the toolbar with "Play, Fullscreen", etc?

15. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    I'm replying to the last post, coz I've had enough today!

Most of my issues were related to serverside corruption... these are now fixed and I shall edit my OP list in the morning.

Sorry for any typos.

Cheers,
    Paul

16. stop4stuff
    And after all the nonsense today,

I'm replying to myself to ask SW. Why have I got an email telling me I responded to myself on a thread on the forum???

ttfn
    :rolleyes:

17. virtox
    Because you also replied with your new account, which was probably notified when you posted with the original ;)

Have another one, sleep well ;)

18. stop4stuff
    erm... nope replied with my regular stop4stuff account (just like now)

[edit]
    oh I got ya,,, damn... 2x email replies on some stuff, Doh!

19. virtox
    To all people with save/edit problems, can you check again if things work better now that the site cache was cleared?

20. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    I did actually include my browser and o/s in my message. I was making the edit at work and the change wasn't showing up. When I got home the change had taken... BUT I'm still getting HTML code in the model description box when editing. THIS is what I see:

-------------
    Green Lantern Ring 9.5<br><br>This is modelled with an inside diameter of 19.9mm which should shrink down to a US Size 9.5 during printing.&nbsp;<br>Note that the photographed ring is my finished, post-processed ring. You will receive a stainless steel print with no crystal; they are easily obtained over the Internet should you wish.<br>
    ------------

Like someone else said here it seems like this new release was put out before testing...

Glenn