Need someone to teach me how to turn 2-D art into 3-D

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 368651_deleted, Jun 6, 2013.

1. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Sorry, I was away from the forum and my computer for a few days and didn't see this till just now.

Nether Meshlab nor Netfabb can do the deformations you want. I whipped up the deformation for you so you can get an idea, but we need to talk about what Shapeways material you want to print this in; so that the design rules can be followed for that particular material. Also, you didn't specify a radius for the bend, so that too would need to be discussed.

Attached Files:

2. Wow, that looks very close to the curve I want.
    The actual badge that I make are curved to fit onto
    bicycle head tubes that are 1.25-1.5" in diameter, but they do not go
    around the entire tube. Attached is an example of the badge on a
    1.5" diameter tube.

I want to print the file in steel.

Scott Mayeda

3. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    I can make two models for you that have the two different radii that you need. However, there's a problem. To have this printed in stainless steel it will need quite a bit of editing. Take a look at the design rules for stainless steel here. The minimum thickness for the whole base needs to be 3 mm, you're currently at about 0.533 mm. Also, take a look at your engravings, they need to be 1 mm deep by a minimum of 1 mm wide, yet there are engravings in your design that are as small as 0.3 mm. Although,0.3 mm engravings will work for sterling silver, it won't work for stainless steel. What will happen is the engravings will be mostly filled up with material.

You can try to see if Shapeways will print it in stainless with those engravings that you have, but if they do, you might be disappointed by the results. Before seeing if they will even do it though it'll need to have the thickness increased to 3 mm.