Need Help With Google Anlytics Ga4 Setup

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PunchyTheDog, Dec 19, 2022.

1. PunchyTheDog
    PunchyTheDog Member
    Does anyone know how to setup their Shapeways shop with the new Google Analytics 4 (GA4) tag?

I've been using Google analytics for many years and I enjoy the insights they provide. I've been getting emails saying Google they will be moving on to their new Google Analytics 4 platform and shutting down their old one. With the change, you get a new Measurement ID to use with your store. Unfortunately, when I try to add the new ID to my store, it does not match the same format that the shop settings page requires. The old Measurement ID is formatted like this: UA-XXXXXX-X. The new ID is formatted like this: G-XXXXXXXXXX.

Does anyone have a solution?

2. kv3d
    kv3d Member
    Also I need solution for GA4 setup.

3. kv3d
    kv3d Member
    But it does not work in Shapeways.... response is this
    "Place your analytics code here. For example: UA-XXXXXX-X" does not accept G-XXXXXXX

4. hendie
    hendie Member
    DId you ever get this resolved? I am having the same issue. Everything appears to be okay on the Google Analytics end, but I just keep getting a message about no data collected.
    Anyone have any idea what's going on and how to fix it?

5. kv3d
    kv3d Member
    Hi,
    partly solved. I could enter the new format tag into shop settings.
    But dates not flowing to google analytics!

I contacted Shapeways again for this...

PunchyTheDog likes this.
  6. PunchyTheDog
    PunchyTheDog Member
    I looked at my site settings page today and I was able to update to the new Google Analytics Measurement ID starting with the letter G. I saved and refreshed and the new ID is saved in my shop settings. Please try again fellow shop owners.

I'll wait a few days to see if I am actually getting any data.

7. kv3d
    kv3d Member
    Yes you can set it up, but do you get data into analytics? I'm not getting any data. I was in contact with shapeways support, they are working on it with google to get data flowing

8. dabsan
    dabsan Member
    I have set mine up too but no data flowing yet, hope support get this working soon as I really enjoy using Google Analytics.

9. hendie
    hendie Member
    interesting - still no data flowing according to Google so I went back to check my shop settings. Well, it appears that Shapeways have deleted the Measurement ID ( the G-Code number) and deactivated the Google Analytics inputbox. I cannot enter anything at all in the textbox.
    I know I've had the new code in there for the past several weeks as I've been checking it regularly, and now it's no longer there

Are other users seeing the same behaviour?

10. dabsan
    dabsan Member
    In the settings it now says :-
    Google Analytics Unavailable at the moment from Google Analytic's newest version. We are working on this!
    I am hoping they can get this very useful service working again soon.

11. Skarabajo
    Skarabajo Member
    It is very frustrating. Particularly because Google announced this in advance (October 2020). Shapeways definitely had the chance to work on this.

On September 27th, 2023, I received the following message from Shapeways after requesting an update on this.

12. bwterrainforge
    bwterrainforge Well-Known Member
    Yeah I find this bad as you set up gtm (google tag manager) add you id and do the analytics set up. The later was the hardest for my store. Unless they have some weird manual if statement to figure how to send info =S

Also Im not understanding the needing to work with google.

Funny thing, my 9 to 5 job was a fortune 500 and we didn't have an option to talk with google. We were pointed to the sdk and have told a nice day.

Also as you mentioned this was given a really long update announcement period. In fact even after I set everything up and confirmed metrics on the new system I got weekly reminders to update.

13. CyberSmithy
    CyberSmithy Active Member
    Is this problem fixed by now?

14. bwterrainforge
    bwterrainforge Well-Known Member
    I still see this on my settings page

Google Analytics Unavailable at the moment from Google Analytic's newest version. We are working on this!

15. CyberSmithy
    CyberSmithy Active Member
    Thats sad ... hello @Shapeways - if you need help with backend dev, just to add place to contain GA4 code within accounts profile, then https://codelight.eu/ will help with this,probably just for a small fee for it ... small company, professional backend dev service.