Mass Markup Tool Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 65166_deleted, Sep 21, 2011.

1. mctrivia
    mctrivia Well-Known Member
    yep. you picked about the worst possible layout you could. SO for my shop I will have 9351 lines(374*25+1). And have to write a ridiculously complicated formula to read the material id and volume. The formula is going to be like a page long :( Oh well I can write it but it will not be fun. Especially if I ever have to change it.

SO are we actually going to be able to have the same model both public and private of different materials? 543211 is public in Silver Glossy but Private in Silver.

Please tell me I can upload based on sale price. The formula is going to be just rediculous if I also have to compute the base cost to reduce.

Please tell me materials not currently for sale will be listed. Will not be very useful if you do not include every single material. For example if you add a new material, you should set that to not available for safety reasons. But I will want to go through and make available some through CSV. Which means you must have all 30(or however many materials there are) for every single model. Weather or available in that material or not. Which means we need a way like entering -1 into sales/markup to signal it is not available.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  2. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Nancy, you might want to have a quiet word with 'The Coders' wrt Private & For Sale models... tis a rrpita trying to get the 'special hashtag' for such a model - otherwise... what does CSV mean?

3. mctrivia
    CSV: Coma Seperated Values

It is a generic input format for spreadsheet programs

4. mctrivia
    Can we at least get a notes field where we can type in a 4 digit number. Please. It would be very beneficial to automation with this layout. Just store it in your database and only ever read/write it from the CSV sheet.

5. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    What's the purpose of such a number?

6. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    I suppose this file is done to set up markup based on Shapeways price, not on volume and material.
    Something like:
    - if Shapeways price is comprised between $0 and $10 add 20% and round to the next multiple of $2 and remove 1 cent.
    - If it is more than $10 add 15% and round up to the next multiple of $5 and remove 10 cent.

Such a formula should be easy to write...

7. stonysmith
    Nancy, overall, it looks good. I assume "Price" is the retail price that a customer sees?

Can you consider one thing? Please provide us with a fixed URL to a second CSV file with the prices per material_id. This file would be static.. based upon the current prices in effect.

8. mctrivia
    notes are to let me write formulas based on it. i would use to make product groups.

1=normal die
    2= specialty die
    4=set
    8=...

someone else may use for something different. just a note on how to price. each shop can use as they like. i said 4 digit number to simplify for shapeways and limit database size.

9. mctrivia
    you are write a simple round up pricing would be easy on this. mine will be doable but not easy. will probably write a program to generate..

10. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    Oops! I assumed it was the price excluding markup and VAT (Shapeways' price).
    Nancy?

11. stonysmith
    Ah, I get it.

For my shop, I would keep such info in a second sheet (table) organized simply by model_id.... easy to bring in via a VLOOKUP function.

12. mctrivia
    if i must i can look up how to use that function.

just did. can you get table from external file?

13. stonysmith
    Yes, you can. It works a little easier if the external file is XLS format..

The calculations you described above as being arduous - really should simple, and not be any trouble. As soon as the main CSV file is ready Wednesday, I'm sure that several people will be offering pre-built spreadsheets with all kinds of fancy tricks.

14. 65166_deleted
    65166_deleted Member
    The price columns are meant to be BASE price (price pre markup, pre VAT). It also saves you the trouble of calculating what your base price is based on old handling fee, new handling fee, density discount and so on--this is so you can focus on what margins you want. Hope that clears things up.

Thanks,

15. mctrivia
    yes vlookup should simplify my calculations greatly. i thought i was going to need 150 if statements 6 per material

16. mctrivia
    so we will have to subtract this from sales price to enter in markup field? and will you give me all 9351 lines for my shop?

17. stonysmith
    Different people will process it different ways. I myself will simply take the Price (Cost) and multiply it by 20% for the Markup. Others who want a fixed sales price will need to subtract the Cost from the CustomerPrice to determine the markup.

That's the beauty of this.. you can handle it many different ways.

Yes, expect 9351 lines, unless Nancy throws in a new material for October. Then it'd be 9376. <grin>

18. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    I'm getting a bit lost here.

Q1) Is this tool a stand alone bit of software that anyone can use?
    Q2) Will the 'tool' have an entry that will allow me to put in a % markup for all my models?

Cheers,
    Paul

19. mctrivia
    this will export a file that can be read by excel. You can then use all the power of excel to set your price. You can then upload the result to make perminent.

To set a 20% markup to everything. You would type in I2

=$I2*1.2

then cut and past that to all values in I. Then copy all values in I and past value only over top of it.

20. tebee
    tebee Well-Known Member
    This is the great advantage of having this in CSV.

We can import that CSV into a spreadsheet, apply whatever formulas we want on it, then export the results to a new CSV and upload this back and change all our mark-ups rather than having to do each one individually.

That's 9351 numbers it's saved you keying in :)