Inverted Normals nowhere to be found in Dragon Necklace.

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by 5839_deleted, Apr 18, 2009.

1. 5839_deleted
    5839_deleted Member
    Well, I tried again and simplified the model, but still wouldn't go through. So I'm just going to see if I can find this Accutrans thing and run the tests myself, then try to change the original model. If that won't work... I dunno'. Kinda' feeling like there are some illogical restrictions that shouldn't be there at this point.

2. 5839_deleted
    5839_deleted Member
    Odd. Okay, so I've been modelling in Cinema 4D which supports something called N Gons. Basically a polygon calculated with more than 4 points, a sort of emulation of triangles. So, there's a function to automatically triangulate all polygons, as well as remove N Gons. So I remove N Gons first, which create some polygons/triangles where needed, then triangulated the mesh (no four-sided polygons left, only triangles).

So I download AccuTrans and check for watertightness and it claims that there are holes in the mesh, due to some edges sharing 3 or more polygons. According to my investigation, this is impossible. XD Like, it's just bald-faced lying to me about my model.

Any idea how to fix this? Sorry if I'm getting too burdensome. I'm just thoroughly confused.

3. Whystler
    Whystler Member
    Hey MLC,

Could you post that example that you tried?

Accutrans is good. It has always been 100% effective for me. Maybe something happened in the conversion between filetypes?

-Whystler

4. 5839_deleted
    5839_deleted Member
    3ds directly exported from Cinema4D that resulted in the watertight check 'holes' error.

Attached Files:

5. Whystler
    Whystler Member
    Hey MLC,

Yup, definately holes. I didn't even have to put them in accutrans to find out.

I'll tell you how I found out ...

In max, you can actually calculate the volume of your piece by look at the left hand window. At the top of this window, there is a tab with a hammer on it. Click it. Then you will get a number of options in that side window. One of them is measure. Click it.

This sometimes takes a few seconds to generate. But look in this window now, and you will see that it tells you the surface area, volume, centre of mass, dimensions etc.

Look at the volume. If there is a * (star) after the number that tells you the volume, then you know there are holes. What max is telling you is that it can only guess at the volume because there is an opening somewher ein your model.

-Whystler

6. 5839_deleted
    5839_deleted Member
    So ODD. Must be something happening between file conversion, because I ignored reversed faces, and inspected the entire mesh without any incident, holes, etc. I'll see if I can do up the holes that are represented in max, then export it from there since Cinema 4D's exporter must have issues with these programs.

On one hand, it's nice to know what the problem is. On the other hand, it's too bad there's little indication as to how or why it's happened.

7. ArMOO
    ArMOO Member
    Murderslastcrow,

If you download stl I can take a look to if needed.
    I can't open a ds file.

greetings AO

8. RalphVdB
    RalphVdB Well-Known Member CS Team
    Hi murderslastcrow and all other community members who tried to help murderslastcrow :cool:

I took a look at your model:Dragon Necklace. First of all: what a great model!

The reason why you've got the error message about the inverted normals is: because it simply has a lot of inverted normals and bad edges. See screenshot modelbefore

So, i went on a quest to get the model fixed for you
    :nod:

We, at Shapeways, use Magics to check the models. After using the fix wizard your model became printable :) See screenshot modelafter

I tested it, and uploaded it. It works fine!
    Have fun with it and..... go order it ! :nod:

Cheers,

Ralph

Attached Files: