I'm quickly loosing my faith in Shapeways

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PopeDesign, Oct 3, 2013.

1. etyrnal
    etyrnal Member
    maybe there could be a system, and a couple of flags for a feedback loop...

Meaning, if, after a model is submitted to Sw, and they find it to be 'iffy', there could be a mechanism where a designer can acknowledge the limitation for the intent of seeing a test print to determine if it would be acceptable through an website acknowledgement form or tick-box. This would be indicated as a flag in the model's metadata (overide). Then once the print has been sent to the user, the user can verify the quality is acceptable through an website acknowledgement form or tick-box, and this "Designer-verified Successful Print + Satisfactory Quality" flag could go into that specific model version's meta-data, then for future prints, it could be "passed automatically" for printing.

There would be some obvious exceptions where Sw would override things that are OBVIOUS... but something along these lines can happen.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    That is a good suggestion, but off topic for this thread. If you'd like to add that to the preventing rejections discussion, or post in the suggestions section that is fine (Do a search, your idea sounds familiar), but any further off topic discussions on this thread will be removed.

3. PopeDesign
    PopeDesign Well-Known Member
  4. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    That is probably the old gripe of inspection stopping at first error instead of providing a complete list of problems. (The database/order confusions on the other hand would make me very nervous if I were in charge of running that beast :eek: )

5. MitchellJetten
    MitchellJetten Shapeways Employee CS Team
    Alright, that is just plain stupid and lack of investigation.
    I'll have a look into that email and make sure the Agent involved will be educated :)

6. " The customer who bought the model that was not supposed to be for sale by order of Shapeways had contacted me and sent a copy of the email he got when the order was rejected. For some reason Shapeways thought he made the models because they instructed him on how to fix models...."

This is actually my bad. A bit of my humanity showing. I simply grabbed the wrong chunk of information (buyer vs designer) when trying to reach out to Popedesign. Thanks to Mitchell for letting me know and holding me accountable for that one.

My apologies for the confusion on that. It is not a systematic issue. It was solely my mistake. A mistake I promise to work hard not to repeat. I assume I can have Popedesign and Mitchell hold me accountable on that.

7. PopeDesign
    PopeDesign Well-Known Member
    Thomas,

Apologies more then accepted and not even needed. I know your actions were of 100% good intentions. I know you've helped me out with other issues in the past and you've been nothing but 100% professional and have always promptly responded to all emails and quickly resolved any and all issues (please do take note of that Shapeways management). So I really hope you don't get in trouble as I'm not interested in nor do I want to get anyone in trouble. That's the last thing I want to see.

I just want to see consistency in model checks and rules. But as you can see by this thread, everything bad that could happen has happened to these two models from rejection of models that have printed a number of times to inconsistent model checks to orders that should have never happened and now models that are not allowed to be for sale even tough they have never been checked or rejected... None of that's good for Shapeways, myself and most importantly the customer. I don't think its human error nor do I think heads should roll. But obviously there are some serious flaws in the system. I'd just like to see them fixed.

Best regards,

-Jon

8. 7943_deleted
    7943_deleted Member
    Aww AmLach, that's nice to hear that Pete and Shapeways is such an inspiration to you
    :) :) :)

We have some good news coming for rejections too, feel free to read all about it in my post here

9. Neo
    Neo Member
    At this point I am done with Shapeways. I am sorry guys. It seems that no model I made before can be printed eventhough some have been printed up to 10 times before. Some errors I really do not get. For instance, minimum wall thickness for Sandstone is 2mm and I got a rejection for a wall that was 2.7 mm. This I really don't get. There are some more issues that I won't go into right now, but fact is that this service is too unreliable to be offering these printed objects to clients.. So my business here seems to be concluded for the most part. Unfortunately since the service used to be great...

10. Youknowwho4eva
    Neo, I'm not seeing any posts from you regarding your issues. Please feel free to reach out for help. We have a lot of helpful community members that can help you understand rejections, and work around them. Our community team also keeps an eye out and has direct communication with service to help resolve issues.

11. Neo
    Neo Member
    That's because I don't want to rely on forums because the back and forth posting takes way too much time. I'm a pretty busy guy and I want to utilize my scarce spare time for what I like to do, 3d modeling. I usually deal with the customers service and that used to be enough in the past. However since shapeways is using in house printing for the full color sandstone printing things have gotten worse.

These used to be printed just fine but I am worried to make reprints of them. The one on the left can't be printed anymore because it's only successful 65% of the time. I also had a print that was rejected because it was only successful 96% of the time. That last one I really didn't understand. How is 96% bad?

[​IMG]

12. Youknowwho4eva
    Very awesome looking models. My guess on the one that is only successful 65% is the cape? And I'm requesting more info on the 96% successful model.

13. Neo
    Neo Member
    Oh I have to correct myself. It said 86%.. It wasn't an order I made myself. A client of mine does his own orders but the models are mine. It's a model called Imp.

And thank you for the compliment. :)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013