If you want, we can convert your files for you

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by bartv, Apr 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bartv
    bartv Member
    Any specific errors? If you want, you can mail your file to bart@shapeways.com and I'll have a look.

2. ChrisDraven
    ChrisDraven Member
    What format would you prefer I send you this in?

CHeers

3. bartv
    bartv Member
    STL would be great.

4. ChrisDraven
    ChrisDraven Member
    Thanks I have sent it to you.

5. bartv
    bartv Member
    I just sent you a 'fixed' file - it was too large for our printers (and the message in the email wasn't clear, I'll talk to our product people about that).

Bart

6. ChrisDraven
    ChrisDraven Member
    Thank you for that what size is best?

7. bartv
    bartv Member
    Best for what? That's a hard question to answer - it depends on two things: the material determines the minimum and maximum printable size, and of course the bigger your print, the more expensive it becomes.

You can find all pricing and size information in our materials section:

https://www.shapeways.com/materials

Cheers,

Bart

8. I've created a model in AutoCAD that I want to print in color. The colors are correct in the AutoCAD DWG file. I can export in DXF, ACIS (.sat), or STL. How do I generate the [X3D ...?] file needed for color printing?

I can bring the STL into Blender, but lose the color info. I've tried to read about how to color it in Blender - but everything is in terms or radiosity and stuff I have no real background or investment in. Nowhere can I find where I can simply assign a color to a surface.

It would be so much easier if I could preserve the color info from AutoCAD. Is there some way to do that? If you want me to email the file to you (without final detailing), which file type do you want?

I've been told I can download Zprint conversion software free from http://zprint-software.software.informer.com/, but it looks to me like the free stuff on that website are other programs. About Zprint it says:
    Anyway, I don't trust Software Informer. Is there somewhere else I can download Zprint?

THANKS!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  9. ChrisDraven
    ChrisDraven Member
    I will give it a shot for you I will even have a look at the model and see if I can fix it for you as well will get back to you in an hour or so as out at the moment .

10. Thanks. I just attached DWG and STL files to service@shapeways.com.
    I can save it to Rhino if that's helpful.
    The problem is it's four objects with four different colors. If I use Union to unite them I lose the color distinction.
    Can my VMRL out of Rhino be four objects, or does it have to be a single object?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  11. JoeDrache:
    Are you still having trouble with your STL files? Shall I try loading one into AutoCAD?
    Would you be willing to convert my DXF or ACIS to VRML, 3DX or Collada in return?
    Is 3ds a version of Collada?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  12. I want to map a texture onto a phone cover. I have the file set up and in my viewport the textures are where I want them. I didn't unwrap as it's a simple planar uwv mapping. When I render to texture everything looks fine until I put it in a zip file with the WRL file and it fails on SW upload. This is the 8th time I've tried to upload a model for Full colour Sandstone. :confused

If I send you the Max 2010 file and textures can you export it to VRML for me?

Paul

13. bartv
    bartv Member
    Hey Paul,

I don't have a copy of Max, but if you could mail me the .zip file I may be able to see what's going on. My address is bart@shapeways.com.

Cheers,

Bart

14. Thank you I'll do that now. It's driving me crazy :eek:

Paul

15. To any Max users out there this is what I did.

mapped the image directly to the object using planar uww mapping then collapsed to editable poly, then applied a seperate
    material for the police box sign and collapsed all again. Opened the render to texture dialogue box and set to atomatic unwrap, chose
    diffuse as my target slot and hit render. After mapping I got this result from the bake. It's what I wanted

It all went wrong on export?????!!!!

Paul

Attached Files:

16. XXXE
    XXXE Member
    Hey dude, can you convert jcd Jewel cad file to STL?

Regards B L

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.