Ideally what new 3D printing materials would you like over the coming months?

Discussion in 'Bug Reporting' started by joris, Nov 26, 2009.

1. 20077_deleted
    20077_deleted Member
    Is there any chance that you could bring back the white glaze? I missed the oportunity to order a couple of items I wanted in it. Certain art pieces would look much better with a nice glossy coating than with the normal dull grainy finish of most other materials.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  2. aurifex
    aurifex Member
    type of resin used in jewelry prototyping and walls 0.5mm :D

and very cheap of course!...

3. locodan
    locodan Member
    Bronze with a good to fair machinability rating so live steam cylinders could honed and tapped for heads and mounts. My second choice would be wax so I can do my own casting of the cylinder and other live steam parts.

4. TreadshotA1
    TreadshotA1 Member
    Bring back White Glaze. I need that. Also would help if there was a black version of the same thing. Black Glaze!

5. Quesera
    Quesera Member
    A mould out of flexible silicone material, usable for food and so high-low temperature resistant would be great!

It should be flexible enough to easily remove the content once cooled, baked....and strong enough to keep in shape without support.

Why? Because there definately is a considerable market for custom made shapes with this material.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  6. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Only problem with that is it will be a long time before Shapeways says it is usable in food. Now, if you printed the inverse shape in stainless, and wrap it in the in soft bakeable material. Then again Shapeways wouldn't suggest using any printed model in this way.

7. SDabbs
    SDabbs Member
    silicone, or any type of flexible rubber.

8. 29460_deleted
    29460_deleted Member
    Black Strong and Flexible, Definitely! The puzzle I'm working on is dying to be printed in black! :eek:

9. TomZ
    TomZ Member
    It's out there already!

10. __DF__
    __DF__ Member
    Wax!

I think wax is a very important material to include. Wax can give the opportunity of transfer the model into any kind of metal used in a foundry.

I would also suggest titanium and aluminum, but I am afraid this going to get very expensive for existing models.

11. 27337_deleted
    27337_deleted Member
    Re: Quesera's food safe suggestion -
    One very easy way to make Food safe moulds would be:

1: Buy some food-grade Silicone Putty. (u can google for it)

2: Make a "positive" at Shapeways from White Detail (whatever material is most cleanable and least porous I guess)

3: Clean, Smooth and Polish your positive. Perhaps seal with a food-safe lacquer.

4: Make a mould from your positive wuth silicone putty.

5: Eat your Chrysler building shaped cupcakes or whatever.

I guess the food safe silicone will come into contact with the non-food safe shaeways print one time.
    You could run your Silicone moulds through the dishwasher before castiing positives to be safe.

I there must be some kind of food hygeine standards you can look up and probably modify this process to conform to it.

12. ibec
    ibec Member
    How about cheap material like cardboard (karton) and polystyrene (piepschuim)? That would even lower the barrier for more prototyping and printing. And the already mentioned wood (something similar to MDF).

13. settinger
    settinger Member
    The only way to print in cardboard would be to use an LOM machine, like the MCOR Matrix or the Solido machines. I'd really like to see the MCOR Matrix on here, because from what I understand, it would make prototyping a lot cheaper!

14. huan80
    huan80 Member
    I would love to have access to Stainless Steel, Antique bronzed and polished for my own designs. What are the chances that you will offer that soon?

15. 15630_deleted
    15630_deleted Member
    Although I haven't tried any of the other materials, I really like the feel (plus the price, detail and stability) of WSF. Therefore I hope for:

Multi-colored Strong Flexible

Yeah, WSF plus textures... that would be awesome!!!

Another idea:

Chocolate

Yep, very cool for edible personalized presents. Yummy!

16. virtox
    virtox Active Member Moderator
    Although I'm still dreaming of full-color SF :p

More realisitically, I would be very interested in materials like

- Carbonide
    - White or any-color glaze

At least for a (second) round of trials

And materials like

- Ceramics
    - Wood
    - Glass/transparent plastic

At the right price this would be an almost guaranteed hit.

And I would love access to the creator metal

- Stainless Steel, Antique bronzed and polished

But for now I'm happily waiting for my Alumide order :)

17. 21872_deleted
    21872_deleted Member
    waxxxxxx!

18. Salokannel
    Salokannel Member

Well, of course it's about price but as materials
    GOLD & TITANIUM
    would be very interesting...
    Both are perfect for small jewellry and
    in Shapeways there's a lot of them.

19. 20757_deleted
    20757_deleted Member
    WAXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX!

20. 3864_deleted
    3864_deleted Member
    Vero Gray, which I assume you guys would call Gray Detail. It has better mechanical properties than any of the other Vero materials, it's light enough that it can be painted over without showing through (unlike Black) and dark enough that it can actually be photographed to show detail (unlike White).

I'd also like to see Objet jobs run on High Resolution rather than High Speed. And I'd like to see wall thicknesses come down to ~0.5mm, which I prove is possible on a regular basis. You just can't man-handle the parts when cleaning them.