How do you create mathematical models?

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by 394883_deleted, Jan 13, 2015.

1. ramboblender
    ramboblender Member
    Just joined to say that i like your tutorials @ Luxxeon

All Blender, a lot of Ctrl+z cause blenders bridge tool fails like a boss, but I manage it to make it work.

Thanks for sharing your workflow.

My Thingy

Untitled.png

2. As long as the dodecs are watertight and spaced sufficiently, they SHOULD print
    without the bridging.

I just uploaded my finished product (without the bridging) to Shapeways and it
    passed initial analysis for printing.

To the point. I've attached a blend file with three layers of process.

Solid_a, Solid_b, and Solid_c

They've all three been taken down to the delete faces part of the process.

On Solid_a, I selected the inner edges MANUALLY. Nothing else seemed
    to work. I then setup a vertex group.

Solid_b, once I'd selected the inner edges, I then copied and scaled using
    Shift-D to Copy and s to scale. After which I've joined them using Ctrl-J (in Object Mode).

Notice in Solid_b, the Edge Selection remains intact.

Next, I cheated. I used the "Loop Tools" addon. If I just use Ctrl-E Bridge Loop
    in edit mode, it screws them all up. They should bridge DOWN. Instead some
    really unintended things happen.

More on the Loop Tools addon here:

Quick Tip Loop Tools (I'm using it with Blender 2.75):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jnuj7BfTnVc

and the download (and info from the Author is here):

https://sites.google.com/site/bartiuscrouch/looptools#TOC-Ge neral-information

They show up on the left hand Transform menu as well as in the Specials menu
    brought up with the "w" key. (as shown below:

loop_tools.png

Solid_c shows the edges already bridged using Loop Tools.
    At this point you can apply the solidify and subsurface modifiers
    (which will increase the size considerably).

I uploaded it, after that, to shapeways and it passed initial
    printabliity analysis.

From looking at it, it doesn't look like the end result was
    quite what luxxeon achieved in 3dsMax, but, as far as
    Shapeways is concerned, I think it's about ensuring that
    the model is watertight and of sufficient thickness.

Whether they're loose nested or connected (even if not
    all) and of sufficient thickness, that seems to work for
    printability.

Anyways, take a look, let me know how well it does
    (or doesn't) work for you.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  3. Luxxeon3D
    Luxxeon3D Well-Known Member
    Thank you, Ramboblender. This is a great result. The object looks perfect.

I was considering doing a tutorial of this for Blender, but I'm not sure I found the most efficient workflow for it yet. What approach did you take here to create the bridging? You're right; some of the bridging operations I tried in Blender so far were not totally successful. While I was able to bridge all the necessary selections, there were some problems. Some of the bridged faces were twisted, or incorrectly attached. It required a lot of manual repair. I'm sure there's a better way, I just haven't found it yet.

Unkerjay, I like the option of disjointed concentric objects, but I'm determined to figure out the bridging option in Blender. While it's possible to print it with unconnected parts, I assume the inner-most objects will be moving around within the larger outer object. I've seen some prints done like that before, but I don't know if the result requires some post work, like trimming or sanding the inner parts so they can move freely.

While vertex grouping seems to work for bridging, which option do you recommend? As mentioned, the Bridge Edge Loops option seems to give unpredictable results, as well as the Bridge in Loop Tools. I'll have to experiment more.

Great job, guys!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  4. ramboblender
    ramboblender Member
    Thanks Luxxeon.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  5. Having a couple of "Duh" (or is it "Doh!") moments here.

Just as you can adjust (tweak) the settings for Scale, Inset, Extrude.

I was thinking about whether or not you can adjust the settings
    for Bridge under Loop Tools.

Turns out you can, but even given that, I would have NEVER
    (not in a reasonable amount of time relative to this model),
    have come up with Ramboblender's method / methodology.

It looks downright simple IF you know where to look and what
    to do when you get there.

Wow.

Thanx for the enlightenment.

Again.

6. ramboblender
    ramboblender Member
    Yes my methodology is based on 'KISS' :).
    Happy that you find it helpful Unkerjay.

7. ramboblender
    ramboblender Member
    The Blender version.
    Surprisingly very easy to make.
    OGL Render.
    Cheers.
    fantasy.png

Last one for today and for a while

torus.png

So long my friends.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  8. Luxxeon3D
    Excellent work, ramboblender! I was going to work out tutorials for those in Blender, but never got the chance. Plus, there wasn't anyone who asked. ;) You did an outstanding job there, and they look exactly as they should. I may still do the Blender version of the nested dodecahedron, but you covered it so well, there isn't much need.

9. ramboblender
    ramboblender Member
    @ Luxxeon thanks mate.

You know I edited that post for a reason ( was a mistake )

So please mate do the tutorials.
    Ok I managed to do it but there are others who like to learn this staff and you the right pick for the job :).
    If you picked something from me and use it in the tutorial It'll make my day but that's about it, I don't care to be mentioned since I just pas the time with this staff.
    Sharing is caring so do the damn tutorial :)
    Waiting...

10. Luxxeon3D
    Thanks again, Ramboblender. I'll put together a tutorial for the nested dodecahedron soon, then I'll see bout doing some of the others too. You did a fantastic job on the last two. Personally, I thought the hexagon shapes in the last one would have proved more difficult in Blender, but you did a remarkable job with that one too.

11. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Epic thread deserves to be made "sticky"...

12. Luxxeon3D
    Just a little update on the Blender version of the Nested Dodecahedron tutorial. After many, many attempts to reproduce the shape using the Bridge tool in the Loop Tools addon, it seems the function itself is not suited for these kinds of bridging operations. It produces topological errors, and issues with the mesh that take a considerable amount of cleanup to solve. Ultimately, there are other ways around this, including creating the shape a different way, using extrude instead. However, the results are not exactly the same as the 3dsmax version, and tend to take longer.

The problem with the Bridge tool in Blender's Loop Tools addon is that it sometimes incorrectly calculates the interpolation between arbitrary shapes on certain types of topology, and produces folded, or twisted, geometry that can not be fixed through parameter changes alone. You can manually correct this issue by editing the bridge later, but that takes time on an object like this, and defeats the pupose. The Bridge Edge Loop system was never intended to be used with multiple selection faces, and complex connections, which is why the Loop Tools Bridge was created.

Ramboblender, if you have a secret technique for getting clean, properly connected bridges in this object, please let me know. This seems to be a known problem in Blender, though, as there are plenty of examples of it throughout the community.

After researching this issue with Blender's Bridge tools, I came across an interesting tool in development, which I don't believe has been released yet, but would appear to solve the algorithm issues with the current bridge operation in Blender. For those of you who may be interested, have a look at Red Triangle's work on a new bridge tool:

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:RedTriangle/Bridge

Scroll down to the bottom of the page to see the example differences. This is the result we need, to make proper bridge connections on an object like the nested dodecahedron. Unfortunately, I don't think this has been released yet. So I need to figure out a different approach, unless there's something obvious that I'm missing to trick the current bridge function into working properly, or another addon that fixes this problem. Any feedback or insight is appreciated.

13. ramboblender
    ramboblender Member
    You are right Blender is not like 3ds Max select-click-done,
    Blender has to use a couple more clicks :)

Yep that bridge never made it. it's from two years ago. sad! (I thought it was merged but it seems not)

I have the solution for this particular case, we don't bridge faces but edges instead since is failing to bridge in multiple directions at once in face mode.
    I'll send a message in youtube with the video link.

Not sure if you got the message but the video is there if you search my name, I named the video Nested Dodecahedron same as you.
    I'll leave it up for e few days.
    If the bridge tool doesn't work for you then maybe just forget about it :).

I thought you already saw the first video I put up (in the post that I edited) , I guess you've missed it .

Good Luck.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  14. Ramboblender, Luxxeon, I think you're BOTH on to something.

Ramboblender, you are just VERY good at understanding Blender
    well enough to figure out a way to translate from 3DSMax to Blender
    that WORKS. Hands down.

Luxxeon, you';re good at explaining the problems and shortcomings
    of Blender as well as, figuring out how to get from 3DSMax to Blender.

I think Blender is an EXCEPTIONALLY versatile tool, architechture,
    math art, character modeling, particle simulations, animation, Video Engine,
    Nodes, addons and MORE that ANY ONE area can consume QUITE
    a bit of time in the exploration.

Personally, I think there's room for right click mods. Seems like the
    mouse right click is under utilized as well as list options for say
    materials or groups that allow for MANAGEMENT to be distinguished
    from just the Outline list which doesn't allow for easy deletion of Materials
    or Groups WITHOUT having to save and reopen the file.

But... I digress.

Blender, is a GREAT tool for the price.

There may be other tools that are better in some or many ways, but,
    not for FREE.

nuff said.

15. Here's my latest contribution.

A Torus Knot Pendant (Outlined).

It's a combo of Openscad, Inkscape, and
    Blender.

Started with Openscape, here:

https://kitwallace.co.uk/3d/knot.xq

and ultimately converted it to an SVG
    (in part, using the Freestyle option in Blender)

and then into Inkscape and back, as an imported
    Curve, thickened using Bezier Circles then joined
    and exported as an STL into Shapeways.

It's passed muster for MOST materials.

Also available here:

Thingiverse
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:932646

along with a few of my other models
    (if you're interested)

My files are attached:

3_twist_knot__5a_PNG.png

Enjoy.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  16. Luxxeon3D
    Ramboblender, you definitely have a far better understanding of the Blender tools than I do. I'm very impressed. I'd been modeling for 15 years now, but only using Blender for the past 6 months. I still have a lot to learn about the differences in the tools, and techniques between Blender and my native 3dsmax application.

I took a look at your video. Great work. However, I was still not able to reproduce the clean, quality bridges you have shown are possible in your video. I feel as if I must be missing a crucial step in the process. I noticed you using the Circle command in Loop Tools, which does seem to help. I'll experiment more.

In your opinion, do you feel there is an advantage to assigning unique materials to make selection sets, compared to using Freestyle Face Marks?

17. Luxxeon3D
    Making progress here, thanks to the example video Ramboblender made. I selected all the necessary faces that require bridging, and marked them as Freestyle Face Selections, so that they could be selected, hidden, or isolated easily at any time. Then, using the techniques of selecting edges, and bridging, I got the appropriate result, finally.

Thanks to Ramboblender for the direction here. I think I have enough information to create a tutorial. Once I complete the video, I'll absolutely credit you for the guidance and information.

freestyle_faces.jpg

18. Luxxeon3D
    Here's the final result. I have to say, this was somewhat more challenging than I expected. Thanks again for the guidance, Ramboblender.
    freestyle_faces2.jpg

19. ramboblender
    ramboblender Member
    Freestyle never interested me so no clue there.

Please NO need to credit me, like I said just happy if you make the tutorial so people can learn.

Now if you want to translate to blender the Twist Fantasy and the Twisted Torus I have two videos to show you how I achieved to make those in blender.

By watching your tutorials somehow I come up with workarounds in blender ( can't explain how ) like the squeeze modifier I just discovered how to do it in blender when watching the Twisted Fantasy tutorial. So thanks for for that

So please do the tutorial and make it your own.

20. Luxxeon3D
    Hi, guys. Here's the full tutorial for the Nested Dodecahedron in Blender. Thanks again must go out to Rambo Blender for all his help in solving the bridging issues, and making the 3dsmax workflow translation to Blender possible. Hope this is useful.

Model A Nested Dodecahedron Object In Blender 2.75
    https://youtu.be/7uuna3-wiuQ

PS: Great job on that curve knot design, Unkerjay! I'm sorry I didn't comment sooner. It looks great in the preview, and should make a really interesting print!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015