Flatness: Tan Fine Detail Plastic

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LMR_Fan, Feb 9, 2024.

1. LMR_Fan
    LMR_Fan Member
    First time posting, so excuse foibles or mistakes.

My prints are coming back wrapped. The material selected was Tan fine detail plastic.

It is fundamentally a rectangular block 24 mm × 62 mm × 1.6 mm. The curvature occurs over the long axis.

Now clearly, I didn't design it this way, but hey ho, maybe there is a spec I missed?

I would appreciate just a pinch of guidance here. Am I just too close to the limit of material? Can I substitute a different material that retains the designed flatness?

Thanks in advance for any reply.

2. SemperVaporo
    SemperVaporo Well-Known Member
    I hear ya. I have several very small items I like to print and they "over pack" them. The item is basically the shape of a "jack" from a child's toy "Ball and jacks" game... 6 points, one out in each direction. The points are long and thin... they do meet the specs for thickness but when they get packed, they put the part in a FLAT plastic bag. Then they force that bag into a same sized FLAT plastic "bubble" bag (the small 1/4-inch air bubbles). The part is thus squeezed along two axes which pinches 4 of the long points such that they curve toward each other in pairs so instead of a Plus shape ("+") they end up in a tall thin "X" shape. (Picture a compass where the N and E arms point the same way and the W and S arms point the opposite way.)

Each item in my order is packed in their own double bags and those are then put in a cardboard box lined around the sides and bottom with the large air-pillow packing material, but there is barely room for all of them. And then more of the air-pillow stuff is crammed over top all the bags and the box flaps pressed down and taped shut.

Being crammed in that way, there is no way for the items to move. I suppose if they were hard glass this might be acceptable for being tossed from the delivery truck to my porch, but being a soft flexible plastic, any heat during shipping is enough to cause the plastic to take on the bent shape permanently.

I have complained about this and ShapeWays reprinted two of the ten I ordered. They came packed the exact same way and bent just as badly.

Then through communication with ShapeWays, I was told to heat a cup of water to (oh dear, um...) 130 degrees F (I think!) and drop the parts into it. I did so, heating the water in the microwave and dropped the worse one in the cup.

BINGO! The points straightened out almost perfectly in just a few seconds!

ASTOUNDING!

No prying, no bending the part the opposite direction trying to bend them back to the proper shape!

It worked!

I don't know if this "tan" material will do the same, but it might be worth a try... at least until the people doing the packing use a better method... I understand the use of the inner-most plastic bag as a way to identify the part in the order, but the bubble wrap bag is total overkill for a small PLASTIC flexible part. And the excess of the large-air-pillow material is way too much.

I honestly think the parts I have printed could just be LOOSELY wrapped in some soft tissue paper and put in a box to rattle around in shipping.

To that end: One of the items I ordered had actually broke in two in the packing, so it was a loss anyway. So I put it loose (no bags, no air pillows, no tissue) in the box, and taped it shut. I then used my cane like a golf club to propel the box from my porch to the sidewalk about 30-ft away. Then I picked it up and "drop-kicked" it (like a "Punt" in American Football) back to the porch (took several tries! But I am proud that I didn't fall down in the fun). The box was not in too good of shape but the part was not damaged beyond the state it was in when I got it.

Try the hot water trick to see if it works for you... since I can't remember right now the temperature they told me, start at 130° and if it doesn't work, up the temperature 5° or 10° at a time and try again. I would not go over 160°.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2024
  3. barkingdigger
    barkingdigger Well-Known Member
    Long thin resin items are always at risk of warping - the same happens with injection-moulded plastic parts if they aren't well supported while they cool down from moulding. You can apply heat as Semper says - I just boil a kettle, pour it in a mug, and dunk.