Destroyer - Full color figurine

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by 28396_deleted, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    After Googling it up seriously i see it is a character from a game called WoW . (never played it - i guess i'm too old :D )

Obviously it wont be for sale - still, i will keep on exploring and learning this interesting area of UV mapping and full color printing.

2. 67587_deleted
    67587_deleted Member
    Wow, this is really impressive. I really want to be able to make something like this as well one day!

Hehe. WoW is not my favourite game of all time, but hey, why not ;)

3. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    Finally ..!

After extensive R&D i now have a work flow and techniques to model in Sketchup with primitives (also known as cube modeling)
    then use Texture projection and finally some magic.. ;) transferring the model into an organic shape with the texture intact ! (for the most part - minor 0.2-0.5mm artifacts)

Proof of concept - Cube Modeling - Texture Projection and transferring to organic shape with Sketchup

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I suspect the spikes, thou over 3mm in the base, could fail this for printing as their pointy head are less then 3mm but if not i'll have to chop them and send to print.

(Of course not for sale)

Cheers

4. 59012_deleted
    59012_deleted Member
    This is VERY encouraging to me. My biggest issues with the process here at Shapeways are 1) my lack of 3D modeling skill and 2) the lack of detail (physical roughness) of the end products. Now, I'm okay at 3D, but I've been a professional illustrator and graphics guy for decades... this makes it appear as though I could design and texture miniatures that would be quite passable. Still, I would really like a smoother surface in the end.

Great work!

5. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    Thanks

Well you can get a smooth full color textured print if you spray the model with clear acrylic or epoxy spray.

I sent the Mammoth model to print yesterday - very excited to see how it will turn out.

I hope the wax shapeways use wont kill the shades and brightness of the model.

Cheers

6. 59012_deleted
    59012_deleted Member
    I'll be watching in rapt anticipation, too! It's always nice when someone enjoys doing your research for you at their own expense! (In other words, I'm glad you've got the time, talent, and capital to do something I would like to do!)

7. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    In time you'll see we all actually do that ;)

Here is another model made with same techniques.

You start with cubes (primitives) modeling then apply a projected texture on either large selected areas or on an individual face:

tiger block modeling .jpg

The end result is an organic shape with the texture (for the most parts) in place, with no need for that texture-unwrapping process which i find as too time consuming and definitely not an easy on a high poly organic shape.

Tiger

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers

8. Jettuh
    Jettuh Well-Known Member
    Cool thats King Bangalash from WoW!! :D

but is that allowed? you wont get problems by using their stuff?

9. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    King Bangalash has fins... this is a fictional tiger

white.jpg

:)

10. Jettuh
    Jettuh Well-Known Member
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  11. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    @Jettuh

A. if you don't do research, push boundaries and evolve you'll get stuck with trains

B. don't be sorry - be happy :D

12. Jettuh
    Jettuh Well-Known Member
    i keep evolving ;)
    trains are a booming market,, because of this way no mass production (expensive) is needed!

So i do enough research! on how to get complete trains running!

-

it's just that you are using a model that is from someone else (can't say you are not allowed!)
    then you remove the teeth,,,
    go to upload and press yes on " This design is my own work *"

and then sell it

can't say illigal,, but i'm not sure if this is the right way to do stuff!

13. Kaetemi
    Kaetemi Member
    Dizingoffff

Downloading models and cutting out some pieces is not extensive research, certainly doesn't push boundaries, and won't get anyone anywhere at all.
    Furthermore, it is an insult towards those designers who actually sculpt their sculptures themselves, as well as towards the authors whose work you blatantly rip off.
    And lastly, it's plain illegal to A) commercially exploit a copyrighted work without authorization, and B) to use trademarks and designs without permission.

14. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    Kaetmoosh

I'm sick and tired of you guys picking on me on very post where i blob on my latest research and on new modeling methods.

It's been said a million times yet you still eat your heart out again and again - using Sketchup repository models for a base to a new thing is MOST WELCOME by the public license and by Shapeways.

You don't like it ? write a complaint to shapeways.

As for copyright infringements claims, next time i need a lawyer i'll be sure to contact you... please pm me your law firm card.

Bottom line -leave it to Shapeways legal department to sort out what is done right or wrong and how to correct it.

So i suggest you guys cheel.

If you don't have nothing better to do pass out on my threads it will do good to your health.

Subject closed.

15. Eeppium
    Eeppium Member
    I totally agree with Kaetemi and i think its obvious you did not model these yourself.

there is a program that allows users to view models from the game and edit them to some extent. there is also a export function so they can be edited in a 3d-program including textures. This program has been made for people that make machinima videos with them mainly.

link:
    http://www.wowmodelviewer.org/index.php?option=com_frontpage &Itemid=1

16. Kaetemi
    Kaetemi Member
    Dizingof
    You seem to be missing the point.
    A lot of items on there are uploaded in the google warehouse by people without the authorization of the copyright owner. You yourself are pretty much required to do some quick research to see if the models you make use of have been rightfully uploaded there. It's not ok to just assume that it's ok to use just because someone happens to have uploaded it there, especially not if you can find in ten seconds who the actual copyright owner is.
    Secondly, it is only common sense to ask the author for permission, to verify the intentions of his upload, not everyone considers that someone may exploit their models for 3d printing, and give some rightful attribution to your sources, which practically did 99% of the work.

17. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    Go play with your dolls.

18. Kaetemi
    Kaetemi Member
    I'll do that.

19. Jettuh
    Jettuh Well-Known Member
    you really don't care that your earning money for the work from somebody else?

but the thing that makes me the most sad,, is that present the models here on the forum like these are made by yourself...

20. virtox
    virtox Active Member Moderator
    I don't get it?

Here's a mammoth from WoW
    [​IMG]

(Note: the minute difference are apparently based on game progress/weaponry/customisation in the game?)

The model from Google as linked by Jettuh:

meshlab.jpg

And a screenshot from the game WoW:
    [​IMG]

Taking an existing low-poly model created by some-one else, smooth it with keeping textures intact, is not exactly box -modeling..

The silly thing is, had you presented this as "Hey I downloaded/found this cool model in the repository, I smoothed it and made it printable."
    You probably wouldn't have offended so many people.

However, it is still not allowed to use copyrighted material, even when someone else decided to upload it to a public domain repository.
    It's your responsibility to R&D if a model is public domain or not.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.