Designing dice for dice snobs

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by gumball, Aug 30, 2010.

1. mctrivia
    mctrivia Well-Known Member
  2. That's quite cool. I take it there's some way of definitively telling which "side" it's landed on?

Andy

3. mctrivia
    yes

rt.JPG

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  4. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
  5. mctrivia
    thanks glad you like. got d4 and d8 up now. i can make 10,12 and 20 but it would start to get hard to read so i will make if requested only

6. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
  7. berky93
    berky93 Member
    you need to leave a hold to drain the excess powder or else the weight wont function.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  8. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    Hit the "View in 3D" link in any dice page to see the hole..

9. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Still a wip, too many polygons & not quite lined up right.

I call this D6.

"Chained"

[​IMG]

[edit] Update.

Success!

"Chained Die D6" is now printable :)

[​IMG]

Each side is 2.7 cm with approx 12mm tall numbers and 1mm dia wire making up the chains and rings.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  10. mctrivia
  11. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    Nice !

Will it not land on the opposite hemispheres? the empty ones?

12. mctrivia
    the inner channel is mostly a cylinder. the weight will always go to the opposite side of one of the numbers. i will try printing one out on my home printer today. may not work since my printer is a FDM printer not laser sintering

13. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    cool... let us know with some pics please :)
    love to hear more on that printer, is that a rep rap?

14. mctrivia
    i am going to build a reprap soon. currently using a makerbot

15. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
  16. mctrivia
    i just removed so people cant order until i am sure it will work

17. clsn
    clsn Well-Known Member
    The other day I sort of cut to the chase with dice-designing. I've been making several dice I've been calling "open", that are hollow, made of struts, with each face having a solid plate the same shape as the face but *tilted* and sunken a little, and the label embossed there. So there's the Open d12 and the Open *Rhombic* d12 (yeah, I know that's two d12s, and d12s aren't the most useful dice anyway, but they both looked nice!), and the Open d8. But when I did the d6, I went all the way and made it Co-Creator, so people can give me whatever they want on its faces and I'll put them there. It looks pretty cool in its default state too. So at least as far as labeling the sides, the Open Customizable d6 is pretty much as far as it goes, since it can be anything.

I could also offer a solid full-color sandstone cube with *ANY* picture you want on the faces, but that seems too easy (though I did make one with nice rounded edges...)

Bringing this thread back to its original purpose, I note that although the default form of the Open d6 *does* have opposing faces adding to 7 and 1,2,3 going counterclockwise, since it is to be made to order I cannot be responsible for customers who order strange nonstandard labellings, and I apologize in advance to any dice snobs who may get offended at that. :)

We should probably have someplace special to post new creations instead of clogging this thread with ads, I think.

18. gumball
    gumball Member
    Hey, I'm not offended... I just won't have one of "those dice" in my collection! :D

19. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
  20. clsn
    clsn Well-Known Member
    Just thought that paragraph might have been overlooked.