Designing dice for dice snobs

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by gumball, Aug 30, 2010.

1. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    Nice... so some one else ordered them.
    I guess there is a market for uniquely designed dices. cool.

Cheers,
    Dizingof

2. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
  3. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    Shapers.. here are 2 new more dices :

1. Fractal Dice.

Fractal dice.29.jpg

2. Gravity well Dice

now that all dices ideas are out of my system i'll move on ;)

Cheers,
    Dizingof

4. euphy
    euphy Member
    gumball I don't think that's snobbery, that's just wanting a reasonable die. It's a bit like the ebay sellers who take a picture of a photo of a expensive watch, and then send the buyer the photo that they have bought. Bit different here because we have the chance to do a 3D view and check all the sides, but I would have hoped that a designer of dice would know the basic rules. Bit odd.

Besides, that the 3d viewer doesn't seem to work for me. Not bitter.

SN

5. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
  6. gumball
    gumball Member
    Gah!!!! Too many dice, not enough Paypal income!

Wow, I'm going to have a hard time choosing come the 17th.....

7. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    :laughing:

I seem to have a ton of new dice designs waiting to be modeled.. I'm adding approx 2 dices per day to my shop :eek:

Check out this new one , part of a line of sliced dices to be uploaded soon.

Tetrahedron Sliced Dice

Tetrahedron Dice.64.jpg

Btw, i was asked by one collector to allow not just the metal materials.. as cost of metal is a factor - so all plastic materials are also available.
    (This way you can decide better what to re-order in metal)

Also, a designer's markup fee is the same no matter what material used.

-Enjoy !

Dizingof

8. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    To come back to the initial idea that opposite faces should always sum up to the maximum value plus one, I completely agree with this. Furthermore, for aesthetical reasons, and when possible (for a D6 for instance), I think that the numbers that have an 'orientation' (like arabic or roman numbers and unlike pips) should be always directed so that none has the same orientation (difficult to explain, see one of my D6 for a picture): since you cannot orient them all in the same direction, it is more "balanced" to orient none of them in the same direction. Does that make sense? :)

Another remark about the well balanced dice: I have always thought that a D12 (dodechadron) - this time with opposite faces having the same value - is more reliable than a D6 (cube), for the following reasons:
    - it rolls better since its shape is closer from a sphere
    - when you are on one number you can go to any other number with a slight rotation: any number has all the other numbers as neighbours
    - if there is a risk that the die is loaded then, since opposite faces have the same value, the effect is not as efficient (you make a face with a certain number more likely and the opposite face with the same number less likely).
    Perhaps an idea for a new member in the dice family? :D

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  9. Sounds like a similar idea to that employed by eM-4 on one of their dice; because normal tetrahedral D4s aren't very ergonomic, they produce a D8 with the numbers 1-4 repeated twice.

Andy

10. Shuggster
    Shuggster Member
    nice dice Dizi, would have thought you'd have exhausted all your ideas for them with the number you've done :)

11. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    Thanks

I'm puzzled my self.. they just keep coming ;)

The latest:

Octahedron Dice

Octahedron Dice.74.jpg

Hope you guys like them - please rate.

Cheers,
    Dizingof

12. photosfromrob
    photosfromrob Member
    Aren't dice supposed to lie flat on their faces? these won't.

13. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    These are collectible/designer items.
    The numbers are 1.5-2mm thick so they barely affect how the dice lie on a face.

Shapers, guess what this is?... ;)

Torus D6 Dice.125.jpg

Cheers,
    Dizingof

14. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Maybe we should start a new thread for all your idea's Dizingof?

15. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    Be my guest buddy, i hope i didn't spam this one :D
    Seems relevant to me..

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  16. I'm gonna guess it's a differently-shaped D6, kinda like eM-4's crystal polydice.

Andy

17. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    Guess again.

Picture is clickable..

18. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I'm not seeing relevance to Designing dice for dice snobs. Now if you were asking about particular dice snobbery rules, and used an image as a question, then sure. But so far just looks like a bunch of ads.

19. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member

They are not "bunch of ads".. they are designs showcased for the opener of this thread.

New dies are what gumball is looking for.

"Snobbery" is hardly the main issue on this thread.
    It's a "side note"..

20. GHP
    GHP Member
    Hi, this is a new die I designed with a stylized petal design extending from the centre to the corners:

[​IMG]

https://www.shapeways.com/model/153064/petal_die.html?gid=ug2 8511

It has 1mm wall thicknesses. Does it look sturdy enough? I think it should be fine in plastic, but I'm not sure how it will hold up during printing in stainless steel, especially the numbers. They're attached at the top and bottom only.

Also, it is appealing to dice collectors? I'm considering whether to do the same sort of thing with different numbers of sides.

Thanks,
    Gillian Posey.

(Note, opposite sides do add up to seven, and I decided to follow Magic's example in orienting the numbers!)