Designer For Hire Program UPDATE!

Discussion in '3D Design Requests' started by Lauren, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Ontogenie
    Ontogenie Well-Known Member
    Perhaps my little test was too early in the development of the new version of Designers for Hire and they've now opened up the playing field to all designers. I would encourage you to try it out for yourself, though.

2. lawrencekramer2014
    lawrencekramer2014 Well-Known Member
    I tried to check it out today (20180731), (King Protea flower, Protea cynaroides pendant jewelry in precious metal, idea only. thought that might go to Ontogenie) and got to a checkout screen requiring $500.00 payment up front.
    Was this the way it always worked?

3. jordanbanks
    jordanbanks Well-Known Member
    I agree we have all worked very hard to make a name for ourselves.

4. Is this confirmed as completely gone now?

5. Zandoria
    Zandoria Active Member
    I don’t know the status, but I have quoted on a few items since they made the changes, so I assume that they are just project managing everything.

6. Thanks Will, I hope so I was getting some good projects.

7. Dotsan
    Dotsan Well-Known Member
    It seems that Shapeways are offering an exclusive design away from the community. I have experienced a massive decline in requests for my services. I was asked if I would be interested in coming on board as an exclusive Shapeways designer but was rejected because I was outside the USA. Not every client can afford the new exclusive rates, for these clients could there be another option to direct them back to the forum where there is room to engage, explore, learn, compete and grow for everyone or are the days of democratisation at Shapeways over?

Ontogenie and Zandoria like this.
  8. HenryAlfredo
    HenryAlfredo Member
    Interested in any updates on this as well. The forum seems really dead.

9. Ontogenie
    Ontogenie Well-Known Member
    I just now saw this post. Wow, $500? I've never asked for that much up front. I'm actually not signed up as a designer for hire any more. The whole process just seemed a little too opaque for my comfort, but I'm glad to hear that other people are getting some work.

10. jordanbanks
    jordanbanks Well-Known Member
    It looks like they are, if you go to upload and hit I dont have a design it sends you to the design company. This is sad because not only did alot of us get our start here on Shapeways but companies like most only care about the money and not the customers like some of us smaller designers do.:(

After all we fought for on Shapeways:(

11. Zandoria
    Zandoria Active Member
    3D838316-7022-4C96-8916-1B5AD16A9110.jpeg I don’t know what they are doing now...I quoted about 6 projects, and it was a pain to deal with.
    Everything when through a project manager who seemed unfamiliar with 3D printing, no back and forth with the customer—which meant more revisions, rather than clear communication...
    I eventually just stopped quoting.

With SLA printers being under $300, I feel like Shapeways has made a lot of choices that have hurt it...I regularly print highly detailed miniatures in resin, which if uploaded to Shapeways get flagged as “unprintable “—they’re algorithms must be playing it “safe”...
    I think serious hobbyists are starting to print for themselves...

12. patokali
    patokali Well-Known Member
    :) Hey, fellas...somebody know if there are other places like shapeways for work with?

I worked with shapeways for two projects a few months ago, everything was good, but they decide no can't pay me via paypal anymore for some reason, so...they decide no work with me anymore. :(

Anyways, if somebody knows something just let me know, I appreciated. ;)

Regards.

13. Last edited: Jun 4, 2020