Cool stuff!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by UniverseBecoming, Sep 11, 2013.

1. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Yep! I'm highly interested in how this will come out so I'll keep you posted. :D

Silvergence_Karen likes this.
  2. kragor
    kragor Member
    Cool Stuff here :)

3. draw
    draw Well-Known Member
    The old defunct Quirky is being rebranded as "Giddy" but as a platform for corporations to crowd-source ideas and solutions to their problems. This might be a good opportunity for all our smart 3D design engineers, artists, and visionaries to leverage the 3D printing skills and knowledge they have acquired using Shapeways.

https://www.giddy.io/

4. UniverseBecoming
    Yes! Very cool! I got the app and looked around. They are hoping to have a website version by the first quarter of this year. There are some extremely talented designers on there! That's for sure! :D

This similar to CAD Crowd and somewhat similar to GrabCAD's challenges.

5. UniverseBecoming
    So amazing! Seeing this makes me think about how I am actually living in the future! :D

Too cool! :cool:

6. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    More printed house stuff, now with a Planet of the Apes motif.

[​IMG]

In The Netherlands, a company called Van Wijnen is working with the city of Eindhoven to build the world's first community of 3D-printed houses. The planned community will have five houses, all printed with concrete. Each subsequent house will build on the ones that came before; the first house will be relatively simple, just one story. The fifth house will be two stories and incorporate what the team has previously learned.

At the beginning, the houses will be printed offsite and brought to their final location in the Meerhoven district of Eindhoven. The aim is to make the futuristic-looking houses a work of art in and of themselves, so the final community looks like a sort of sculpture garden.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/06/08/3d-printed-house-concrete-the-netherlands-van-wijnen/

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  7. MrNibbles
    Sculpted head of mystery biblical king found in Israel

[​IMG]
    https://apnews.com/dd3713cc12f24a4090d1a34b650bdd5f
    I wasn't aware of faience before but starting as a paste it might be good for use with 3D printed molds. Apparently some folks are trying to use it in 3D printer applications as well. I think I'll ask for a small kiln for my birthday. :)

8. UniverseBecoming
    Cool! :D

One thing I'm leery about concerning 3D printed houses done in concrete is no one to the best of my knowledge has figured out a way to do steel reinforcing. I imagine myself sitting next to a wall that weighs tons and it falls on me and squashes me like a grape! HAHA! :D

9. MrNibbles
    They can put reinforcing fibers in the concrete mix that helps a bit. The ability to create organic internal wall reinforcements as well as overall rounded shapes helps to avoid the stress points found in typical brick and mortar wall structures. But if you insist on having reinforcements in your wall it can be done by filling the hollow spaces of the print with poured concrete and steel rebar or other stiff stuff like fiberglass rope, etc. It may not pass standards as a "pure" 3d printed house but it's still quicker than using forms or laying bricks (unless that's done by a robot).

[​IMG]

I'd be more worried by 3d printed floors and roof structures. Odds are they will continue to be wood or steel structure inside a 3d printed shell of walls. Plus the walls could be tied to the internal framing structure in tall structures to hold them in place. I'd pay to have a small cottage printed on the prairie tomorrow!

10. MrNibbles
  11. UniverseBecoming
  12. MrNib
    MrNib Well-Known Member
    I need to build a partnership with Gillette to sell 3D printed razors and pens! I wonder what coating they use on their Form printed handles. They say it's a clear coat used in sports equipment. Obviously something extremely water resistant that can handle wet environments, no pun intended.

13. UniverseBecoming
    Cool! :D

As for the clearcoat, I'd guess something like polyurethane.