Cool stuff!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by UniverseBecoming, Sep 11, 2013.

1. draw
    draw Well-Known Member
    Beam me up!

2. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
  3. MrNib
    MrNib Well-Known Member
    If Shapeways offered this process they would have to charge $1500 minimum for that model.

4. MrNib
    MrNib Well-Known Member

A Swiss company called Sintratec is planning to release the world's first sintering 3D printer for the desktop. Sintering, which is the process of building a 3D object by shooting lasers at a layer of nylon powder, is one of the best ways to make high resolution objects that are completely solid.

The company is planning to launch the product on Indiegogo soon and will charge $4,000 for the machine. It's a surprisingly handsome machine and looks like it will produce some nice prints.

http://techcrunch.com/2014/11/13/sintratec-is-going-to-build -the-first-sintering-desktop-3d-printer/

5. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    Looked familiar... old news (mentioned in other thread?)... in one of the demos you can see how they do a tool half sintered. "Manifold", but zones of the interior are loose dust, unsintered.

Lots of PR, but as the Ice1/Ice9, still just prototypes. The Ices by Norge systems are a bit more of money, but also bigger models. It seems SLS is a "thousands" field.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  6. MrNib
    MrNib Well-Known Member
    First 3D printed part in space. A nameplate for the printer.

[​IMG]

<a href="http://www.universetoday.com/116709/heres-the-first-3-d-part-printed-in-space-where-will-that-take-us-next/" target="_blank"></a>

7. UniverseBecoming
    Cool! :D

8. numarul7
    numarul7 Well-Known Member
  9. Daphne
    Daphne Well-Known Member
    I actually was there at Euromold and saw those guys :) Didn't really pay much attention to it since I was looking for other things. There were a lot of machines, and from the outside you don't know how awesome it can be. But nice work, I hope they keep on improving.

10. UniverseBecoming
    Coolness! *wants* :D

11. numarul7
    So next material on Shapeways that will disappear ... like ceramic disappeared this year ... is ?

12. Daphne
    Daphne Well-Known Member
    Materials don't just disappear from Shapeways. Ceramics is replaced with porcelain (although maybe the timing is not great). If your supplier doesn't deliver anymore, there aren't that many options. At least continuing is not one of them. I think Shapeways is doing a great job at trying new materials all the time. (although I might be a bit biased now since I'm currently an intern).
    But if I would guess (really, just a guess, no intern knowledge or whetever) I would guess elasto plastic is a material to go. When it started I ordered a key sleeve in it. Now, after more than a year, I can say that I have never seen a material age so ugly. The material turned a dark grainy yellow. It's not a product material, more a prototype.

But to keep on topic: at Euromold I saw one of those objet printers from Stratasys with the multiple materials. The specs on internet look amazing. The models in real life were different. The different kind of materials do not attach that well to each other. Small details, like tekst or small layers could easily be pelled off. After a week of honderds of people touching all the models, the wear was visible. But one kind of model is still amazing, and that is the transparant soft material around the yellow hard material, making it possible to create a skeleton look in body part form. Things like this:
    [​IMG]
    I held a foot, and it felt amazing. It felt like a real foot. And since the transparant material contains the skeleton, you cannot peal it off.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  13. numarul7
    Oh WOW! That looks like a training type of mannequin for medics , this things must land in to the biology museums ASAP!

Looks so real!

One of those and some led lights in the eyes ... blink blink blink Halloween 2015 O.O

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  14. UniverseBecoming
    I ran into this free 3D modeling software. The download link is here. I downloaded it and took a quick look. I didn't need to enter my physical address or phone number just the email, name, country and state was all that was needed.

What's cool about it is it does SubD modeling and some NURBS. It's a solid modeler, but it doesn't import or export solid files, just STL, which is about all that is needed for 3D printing.

15. numarul7
  16. Daphne
    Daphne Well-Known Member
    If you like desktop SLS priners, maybe this is interesting:
    http://blueprinter.dk/?page_id=854
    They don't call it SLS because they some something else to sinter/melt the material. I'm not sure what the price is, but I heard someone say around 20.000 euro.

17. numarul7
    Some say on older article on 3ders €9,995 and 49 E recharge. I guess in 2015 there will come others too! Big competition!

I agree that the SLS it is a bit risky to handle compared to this one. No need of protective glasses and stuff.

18. UniverseBecoming
    Cool finds! Thanks for posting! :D

19. UniverseBecoming
    Nice writeup by Michael Weinberg on how to copyright 3D printing related designs. It's cool because he explains it in simple form, I love simple!

I came across this on DIY 3D Printing, which is one of the 3D printing information outlets that I like to read.

20. Here are some cool stuffs made by our team-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]