Cool stuff!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by UniverseBecoming, Sep 11, 2013.

1. numarul7
    numarul7 Well-Known Member
    It is WebGL powered a hacker can get your cad file and run with it. :)

2. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    No one ever sees your 3D file unless you make it public. In order to steal files one would need to hack into the target account. WebGL is only used for the person operating the account and those who are allowed to collaborate, not the public, unless made public within settings.

Or are you thinking of a different way that I'm not thinking of?

3. numarul7
    WebGL it is Hackable , very Hackable ... it is one of it is inherent security problem. That is why Shapeways use the Offline around table render , none of your file can be accessed , it can only steal a simple render.

Yet maybe in future WebGL gets more flaws killed and then we will have a secure version.

4. UniverseBecoming
    True! :D

But, my account user name on Lagoa is James Kincaid. Can you steal any of my files through OpenGL? :D

5. numarul7
    I can`t but I know that there are hackers that can do it , they reported they can , good they work for state and are not outlaws.

6. UniverseBecoming
    Yeah, but my point is, there's no way for a hacker to do it either since my files do not show up on the site through OpenGL. The only way a hacker can get my files is by hacking my password since my files don't show up in any format to the public. :)

7. UniverseBecoming
    See, here is my public profile on there. There's nothing there because I have everything set to private.

I'll see what happens if I make something to be viewable by the public.

8. UniverseBecoming
    Ok, I made one of the files public, but just the rendered image shows up. I couldn't even find a way to let people download the stp file. :)

9. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Take my word for it. If you make a WebGL model public, and it displays within a user's browser, then they have the geometry of your file.
    No, the average person could not figure how to ferret the data out of the browser's cache, but I've done such things many times. If you want more info, look up the "curl" utility or the "wget" command on linux.

Note: I only use my skills for good. <grin> It's the same as picking a lock. I know how to pick locks, but with a billion locks out there, why bother? I only pick a lock when the owner has trapped themselves outside and is asking for help.

10. UniverseBecoming
    True true true. However! :D

Are you guys sure you know what the site is that I posted about? HAHA! :D Have you checked it out? It's a cloud rendering service.

Here's how it works. I upload a 3D file to the cloud. I then see the file in my browser via WebGL. NO ONE ELSE can see this in their browser. JUST ME! :D

I then assign textures and lights and environments to my scene and then render it. The site then coughs up a nice pretty rendered image of my model, which I then download the image and use it in whatever manor I want.

The cool part about it is free. You get 5 GB of cloud storage and 2 hours of rendering time per month for free. You can also collaborate on projects with your buddies. The site is perfect for those who don't need to do a lot of rendering.

I found this site while looking for rendering software for jewelry. Lagoa is not that great yet for doing metals, it's ok, but for jewelry you need extremely good metal rendering capability. So I thought, hmmm, I'm sure those that don't need to render jewelry would find the site interesting for their renderings. :)

11. numarul7
  12. UniverseBecoming
    Yes, very cool!

Shapeways should get this for full color plastic if they can't get the 3D Systems machine to work! :D

13. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Though if I read it correctly it still does not solve their problem of having only a very limited range of colors available at the same time.

14. numarul7
    It is about printing more materials in one piece ... think about the "mosquito killer" thing with elastic part and sturdy handle. That option alone will be AWESOME!

15. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    That is not exactly a new feature as far as I know, their connex machines have been marketed with the ability to mix and "create" material flavors for some time and I guess it is awesome for some values of awe only if it is not more widely used.

16. UniverseBecoming
    They are getting close enough to full color I think. Here's one of the palettes from their color brochure.

colors.jpg

What would really be nice is a Connex4 or Connex5 though to really get awesome coloring.

As for multi materials, I think the problem has always been that Shapeways cannot come up with a good file format solution. At least that's what I heard in the forum before.

17. UniverseBecoming
    Here's a better view of the yellow, magenta and cyan palette. There is no true black, but I think it would be usable for now.
    [​IMG]

18. MrNib
    MrNib Well-Known Member
  19. numarul7
    Next year we will see more cars like this , easy to manufacture compared to other robots + metal cutting + paid workers and stuff ... it only needs a little of sanding and it is pristine :D

20. Daphne
    Daphne Well-Known Member
    Finally, JewelDistrict offers their stone setting service. And quite affordable too!