Common ivy leaf - feedback appreciated

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by 124128_deleted, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Sounds like you are on the right path - things are looking good. Another comment - if this is a cabinet handle, you might want to make sure that you have gentle rounds on the edges, particularly the points of the leaf. The "beard" of my dragon that I just printed in stainless is surprisingly sharp.

2. duann
    duann Member
    That is a nice idea,
    Please keep us updated, looking forward to seeing the final images.

Cheers

3. Shef_
    Shef_ Member
    There is a measuring addon for blender that will measure the distance between two vertices, it will keep you from going back and forth from blender to the other program.

4. Thanks. :) I am planning to add a solidify modifier later, so I will keep that in mind.

I promise. Nice to see so many helpful people here.

Yes, I found a tool called mesure panel. I didn't get it to work in Blender 2.61 even if I download the latest script and manually install it. Got it to work when I downloaded 2.55 though. Thanks for the tip.

5. It has been a while since my last post, and that's because I haven't had so much time to work on it.

I have tried some methods to add thickness to the leaf and it turned out that the Solidify modifier didn't work well so I ended up with just making a duplicate of the mesh and flipped the normals for the bottom. After some tinkering I came up with what shows in the image below. I thought that the leaf will be 5 cm from top to bottom and the thickness is now about 3-4 mm and some detail is between 1-2 mm. Time to think about the stem and/or branch or whatever that will make it pop out of the door. (Because this is going to be a kitchen door knob.)

WIP07.png

6. bradykineticcuriosities
    bradykineticcuriosities Well-Known Member
    This is impressive - it's been really interesting to watch your progress.

What material are you planning on using?

7. Thank you!

I have thought about using the Stainless Steel material, maybe with the Antique Bronze infusion. Today I started to think about how well it would go with cheramics, and what I have to add for that to be possible. Just a thought. :D

8. bradykineticcuriosities
    bradykineticcuriosities Well-Known Member
    Good choices...antique bronze would look fantastic (would probably need some surface treatment), and the white ceramic definitely has an appeal as well.

This is somewhat going outside shapeways, but have you thought about using a detailed print to start casting with another company? I'm imagining this in pewter with some dark painted accents on the veins... :D

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  9. Yes, I think those materials will be a good choice. :)

I have thought about making castings and so on. Especially because I am about to start my own company. Do you know or recommend such company? :twisted:

10. Last edited: Apr 26, 2012