Cease and Desist, Copyrights - What do you want to know? (updated!)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by baltimore, Jun 12, 2011.

1. tebee
    tebee Well-Known Member
    I have to say the super 8 cube looks more like your Fractal Cube Pendant than the OP's cube.

So does that mean you are going to send them a cease and desist for the movie?

Seriously though don't see how they can stop anyone producing anything that looks somehow vaguely like their prop - after a few more movies there will be no more shapes left for the rest of us to use at this rate.

2. baltimore
    baltimore Member
    I think they're mainly upset since it was on shapeways for sale. Granted I made no sales since I got the email so quickly, but that's what they're most upset about, if I had to guess.

The cube you just posted maybe was a concept version? The one in the film doesn't look like that at all.

3. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member

its from that spanish link

4. tebee
    tebee Well-Known Member
    So are we all going to have to go and see Super 8 now to find out what the cube really looks like?

Maybe this was all a cunning ploy by Paramount........

5. jeff
    jeff Member
    i really enjoyed the flick. brought me back to the classic films like ET & Goonies.

6. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
  7. 91221_deleted
    91221_deleted Member
  8. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
  9. tebee
    tebee Well-Known Member
    And to further muddy the waters there is now a Public Domain licensed version on the thingverse

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:9744

So now what happens if we all download this and get it printed at Shapeways???

Are the lawyers coming after all of us?

10. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
  11. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    Not if it's private and printed only for yourself...

Now if only I can get my factory in China up and running with this as quick as possible :twisted:

Glenn

12. tebee
    tebee Well-Known Member
    Well it's a PD design so you can go and download it and take it to your factory in China - not that they would care anyway.

Of course getting the finished product back into the US might be interesting but you could probably corner the Pacific market.

But now the STL file is out what's to stop people distributing it further - maybe even put in on the Pirate bay?

13. baltimore
    baltimore Member
  14. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    @ baltimore I saw the movie yesterday .. what can i say ..Spielberg has lost it.

I conclude that you were a pond in a PR ploy to boost sales of a stupid prop that had barely 5 minutes of total screen exposure..

I doubt any kid who saw the movie even noticed it.. to realy want one..

Those lawyers that sent you this Cease and Desist must be laughing their asses off ! :D

15. baltimore
    baltimore Member
    It can't be that because if I hadn't submitted the article to boingboing, no one would have picked up the story. I like the theory though!

Another untrue theory going around on some of the comments I've seen posted is that I don't even exist and that the entire thing of me even making the item was a lie and a ploy to get more interest in the movie =)

16. lensman
    You must be real - you're a Stormtrooper !!

Glenn

17. Innovo
    Innovo Member
    I guess this is the answer to this thread....

18. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    haha well he got my 5 stars.. and a free offer to hollow it out .. its too expensive

19. lensman
    Perhaps he's jealous and wants a letter from Paramount too!

Glenn

20. tebee
    tebee Well-Known Member
    Maybe we should all make one - see how many cease and desists we can get them to send out :twisted: