Building a Biplane in Full Colour

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by jamioflan, Apr 19, 2013.

1. jamioflan
    jamioflan Member
    Thank you very much for all your help. I've e-mailed Shapeways asking them whether it will print correctly, and so hopefully I will have one in my hands pretty soon :D

2. Cheers. :) When you hear back from them, please post back here - I'm interested to learn what's happening.

3. jamioflan
    jamioflan Member
  4. jamioflan
    jamioflan Member
  5. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    I vaguely remember reading a post where (I think it was bartv) said that if you include multiple textures then the SW software will Boolean them together. I guess if this is the case then it is possible that the join operation does not actually match what is desired. Better if possible to create a single, correct, texture then the chances of confusion are minimised.

6. jamioflan
    jamioflan Member
    Finally, it looks right in both the snapshot and full 3D views! Thank you everyone so much for your help :D

7. I'm late, but here's a tutorial I wrote for combining textures in Sketchup(direct PDF download, my tutorial is in the middle of the magazine).

You could also combine them in Photoshop simply.

How'd you get it working?

8. jamioflan
    jamioflan Member
    I combined the textures myself and then did a lot of moving textures around in SketchUp.

9. Did you combine the textures in Sketchup or photo editing software?

10. jamioflan
    jamioflan Member
    In Paint.NET

11. Gotcha, thanks :) Looks good now!

12. jamioflan
    jamioflan Member
    The first prototype model is here :D

[​IMG]

The struts are a little too thick for the holes, so I'll widen the holes a little in the next version.
    Also, there were a few struts missing, so I think I'll add a few extra on the model (it's understandable that not all of them make it through production)

As for this prototype, I would like to try and assemble it, despite its flaws, so I was wondering what kind of glue works best with the full colour sandstone. Also, I think cutting open the holes more or thinning the struts might be quite difficult, so would just filling the holes with glue and sticking the struts on top work?

13. Only one week from ordering to you receiving the plane?!? That's awesome!

I know Stony advised ordering the parts separately, but I can't help but think it would save everybody involved so much work if it was assembled in Sketchup. Perhaps adding a couple diagonal braces would make it strong enough?
    [​IMG]

14. jamioflan
    jamioflan Member
    I guess I could try printing one in one piece, but there's only so many prototypes I can do before it starts getting a little too expensive for me.

Since this is a Minecraft style biplane, diagonal pieces might not quite look right, so I'd like to avoid them if possible

15. jamioflan
    jamioflan Member
    This is starting to look a little overkill, but would this work?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

16. I don't see why not!

17. jamioflan
    jamioflan Member
    It was much slower this time, but I finally have the second (and quite possibly final) prototype!
    It printed successfully and looks great, but it seems that in being packed up for transport it has received some marks from the bubble wrap.
    Has anyone else had problems like this before?

[​IMG]

18. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    That's a bit odd.. it looks like the model was placed into the bubble wrap when it was still wet, or.. the bubble wrap got VERY hot during shipment.

19. jamioflan
    jamioflan Member
    It may well have been still wet.
    I ordered another model with it that was a set of about 20 little flat pieces each 2mm thick and quite a few of them were stuck together in the bag.

20. jamioflan
    jamioflan Member
    I sent a message to Shapeways about it and they are sending me a new biplane (they agreed that it was probably still wet when packaged)

But, given that the model was otherwise a success, I have put it up for sale and am starting on my next model.
    However, the model I want to print contains a small open top box and several flat 2mm thick pieces alongside it, but whenever I upload it, the preview only shows the box. Why might this be?

https://www.shapeways.com/model/1226541/

Attached Files: