Blender Pricing Script

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by 16672_deleted, Mar 25, 2009.

1. 16672_deleted
    16672_deleted Member
    Sorry, don't know what went wrong, but I recreated it and uploaded again, hope this one works.

2. 16893_deleted
    16893_deleted Member
    still seems like a bad zip. I can't copy the file to my directory (or any directory)

Can you just post a vanilla file without zipping?

Cheers

John Gomm

3. 16672_deleted
    16672_deleted Member
    I wonder if there's something wrong with the file - I know winzip has been giving me trouble lately. I changed it to just the .py. I'm not sure why I didn't just attach that file to begin with.

4. 16893_deleted
    16893_deleted Member
    Thanks. The pricing results work as expected on my system now. Yay!
    My display is a bit small to best use the new window layout, so I need to minimize the information section etc to see the last panel, but I realize that this is an altruistic project and you are not going to endlessly rewrite it to respond to cosmetic comments.

Thanks again

John

5. 16672_deleted
    16672_deleted Member
    It's a little easier to reformat in its current form - but the information section is minimized by default after the first time you run it. I've been debating how best to make it smaller overall, maybe just cram the lines closer together.

6. 16672_deleted
    16672_deleted Member
    Updated to v0.6, notes in OP

7. 351_deleted
    351_deleted Member
    would a builtin currency converter be a lot to ask for?

to ¤ and £ would be usefull

8. 16672_deleted
    16672_deleted Member
    I'd like to, but with shifting values you'd practically have to put in the conversion rate every time anyway, may as well use a calculator imho.

I may just be dense in this regard, not generally needing to convert currency for myself; is my logic off?

9. 16893_deleted
    16893_deleted Member
    Seems to me that the currency fluctuations would indeed make this impractical. I suggest setting a target price, use the web to convert that from roubles or whatever and then use the plugin to find an affordable scale. However, if shapeways has a fixed cost of x euros per cm3 then that could be put into the (forthcoming?) custom price box maybe.

Just my two cents on an already very useful app

10. Heiner2
    Heiner2 Member
    Boy oh boy,
    i am German and i have a german installation of Windows Vista. Does anybody in which directory do i have to put the script?
    I tried to locate the C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender
    in the german windows version i manage to get to
    C:\Users\username\ ...
    then i dont know where to ...
    any other german users which know where to put that *.py file?
    Thanks
    Heiner

11. iguffick
    iguffick Member
    Heiner,

I suspect your problem is that when you get to the C:\Users\username directory, you cannot see the AppData directory?

If that is the problem you are having, it is because the AppData directory is a hidden system directory that is not normally shown by File Explorer.
    There are two solutions, you could change the view properties to display hidden and system files.
    Or you could simply type C:\Users\username\AppData into the address bar of File Manager.
    You would then be able to see the remaining directory choices of 'Roaming' -> 'Blender Foundation' -> 'Blender'.

I hope that helps.

Regards,
    Ian.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
  12. Heiner2
    Heiner2 Member
    Thanks for the trick, that solved the problem, and the script is in place now, and it works. How well i will see as soon as i have enough time for a more in depth test.
    Again
    Thanks
    Heiner

13. 23918_deleted
    23918_deleted Member
    Great!
    When I finally figured out where to put it on my Apple OS10.5,
    it worked instantly,
    without restarts or nothing...
    thanks so much for the manifold check!!!

14. 16672_deleted
    16672_deleted Member
    Updated to v0.7, notes in OP

15. Tommy_2Tall
    Tommy_2Tall Member
    Hi!

I've been using your script for some time now and it is G.R.E.A.T.! :D

I just thought of something while reading this thread..
    Would it be a lot of work to include density/weight as a separate section?
    If you enter an estimate density for each material you could calculate the weight for each object.

Oh.. and since the latest update (1.5$ startup on WSF) I've had a minor issue;
    when I start the script for the first time (during a Blender session) the black detail AND WSF buttons are both selected.
    Any files I can clean/modify to fix that issue?

16. 16672_deleted
    16672_deleted Member
    I considered this, just wasn't worth the effort at the time. I'll probably put it in the next vers.

No, I got sloppy when writing the updated arrays/registry entries. I'll fix it someday soon.

17. EricFinley
    EricFinley Member
    For reference:

I've contacted Loonsbury and (with his blessing) have been working on integrating my Wall Thickness script into the framework of his excellent Volume/Cost/Manifold script. I'm calling the merged script "Shapeways Tools" for now, and am still working out the bugs in the Wall Thickness portion of the script, but I have in the meanwhile fixed the registry issues and cleaned things up a bit from where Loonsbury left it - as he says, there are clear signs of someone who was done with this for now, and didn't quite finish polishing it before he went home. ;)

I hope to be able to post the updated script within a matter of a couple of weeks, and turn the community loose on it at that point.

If anyone wants to either experiment and/or go looking at MSDSes and so forth for the material densities, then I could easily add in a Mass output together with the volume display, while I'm in there working with it. Just PM me the numbers, and please let me know whether you got those from literature or experimentally. It's not something that I'd care about much for my own work, but I can see how it would be a valuable addition to the program for some.

18. EricFinley
    EricFinley Member
    Note - the script I describe in the post above this one is finished, and has been posted to the 3D Design forum here. You can go straight to that thread with this link. Enjoy!

19. bschlagel
    bschlagel Member
    Hi - just curious if this is still in development at all. I can't get the script to work on either installation of Blender I have running on OSX (2.63 and 2.60)—and when I run the script I get the following error message:

File "/shapeways_volume.py", line 127
    print "Error loading registry data; likely due to new version, updating registry entry."
    SyntaxError: invalid syntax
    Python script fail, look in the console for now...

This is when I open the script in the text editor and run it just on the default blender cube. Would really appreciate any ideas for how to get this to work! Perhaps I need to run it on a different version of Blender, or tweak some setting? Thanks in advance for your help, and for building this!

20. Looks like this script (now a few years old) no longer works with the newer (2.5+) Blender software.
    (need confirmation).