Big Part Of Model Disappearing?

Discussion in 'Newcomers Lounge' started by Cutlass_Digital, Sep 19, 2023.

1. Hello.

To my understanding, parts of the model disappear when they are too small. However, a HUGE segment of my tank keeps disappearing. What am I doing wrong?

I uploaded the image and stl file but it isnt showing anywhere, so idk if this thread will show them but here goes nothing

Attached Files:

• l1.stl

File size:
      679.1 KB
      Views:
    • mod.png

mod.png

File size:
      198.2 KB
      Views:
    • l1.stl

File size:
      679.1 KB
      Views:
    • mod.png

mod.png

File size:
      198.2 KB
      Views:
  2. coelian276
    coelian276 Well-Known Member
    This model has a lot of problems. First of all, there are two tanks. One shape inside and then something that looks like an offset of that around it. But that offset is partly merged with the inner shape and because almost all faces are oriented with the inside facing outward and only few are correct, Shapeways sees the main hull as a cavity without an outer shell.

Tank.jpg
    The lower tank is the geometry inside the upper one. Grey faces are oriented correctly, the pink ones are inverted. Red lines are spots where more than 2 faces connect in the same spot, which isn't allowed in STL. The main hull of the lower tank is partly connected with the hull of the upper one, that's why it is missing on the lower geometry.

MitchellJetten likes this.