Are "expected arrival dates" a good idea?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LincolnK, Aug 15, 2011.

1. 29913_deleted
    29913_deleted Member
    I don't think it's a good idea either I ordered my stuff on the 2nd August had a delivery date of 16th August and it finally went into production yesterday which means it won't turn up until September.

It seems there was a problem with the machine but I found that out eight days after my order was due via the form, it would be nice if they let you know by email when this happens. Although these models aren't urgent they have thrown out my production schedule as they are masters for getting molds made.

I prefer Ponokos way in that they don't give you a date but you can log into your account and see how far your order is along in it's production ie they actually update it after each step through the chain.

Clair

2. RalphVdB
    RalphVdB Well-Known Member CS Team
    Hi Guys,

thanks for this discussion and your feedback on this. Shapeways is well aware of the fact that due to some backlog the expected delivery date isn't correct.

At this moment this ETA is static. Our IT department is working hard to make this variable, which means that as soon as we know that there is some delay , this date gets automatically adjusted in your My Orders Page.

For the time being there is this page in which you all can check the status on materials:

https://www.shapeways.com/materials/material-status

We feel your pain and we are really working hard on ramping up production and also introducing new features for more accurate ETA's

For all of you out there whose orders haven't been delivered on time, so sorry for all the inconvenience we have caused. Please accept our humble apologies on this.

All the best,

Ralph van den Borst, Shapeways Customer Service manager

@Kevinladas: I Have sent you a PM, Customer Service loves to help you out with this one!

3. 97361_deleted
    97361_deleted Member
    Shapeways customer service has contacted me and is making a good effort to remedy the situation.

4. This thread's a bit of a bummer..

I've been wondering why my 1st Shapeways order, which still says I should expect delivery today, says "in production." :(

This could have been communicated better. A clear note saying "crap - we're running behind" would have been much nicer.

5. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
  6. I've got grey robust, black detail, dark grey s&f, sandstone and a sampler pack. Both the gray and sandstone show 2.5 weeks behind.

Dunno how they organize the sampler - hopefully that's not something they print on-demand and have a bit of stock built up..

I'm not in a hurry to get this stuff but it would have been nice to know there was a delay. Bit of a let-down that could have been avoided with an email..

7. LincolnK
    LincolnK Member
    Sorry to hear about your delay. The worst one for me was more than one and a half months after I was supposed to get the item.

What you mentioned about getting an e-mail is the whole point of why I started this thread.

Even if nothing can be done to speed things up, I feel people's perceived value of SW can be strengthened by not promising a date that isn't likely to happen.

Lincoln

8. My most recent order for WSF has been sitting on "accepted" as the status since I placed my order and it's supposed to be delivered on this coming Monday(a holiday here in the states) and even though I sent a message asking about it it's now a weekend so I won't hear about it until Monday at the earliest!

I think "expected" could be replaced with "estimated" and they could just make it so our orders show a log of every change to the status and when it happened/why as opposed to just changing and not saying when it changed.

That said, I think a "guaranteed done by date" is an important thing because otherwise they have an open ended "you'll get it someday" guarantee. But if you can't keep to a specific date then just have a general sweeping "Orders of this type usually take (however long a particular material takes). Updates will be made as available!" and then just make updates as they become available.

9. Silverbeam
    Silverbeam Well-Known Member

I agree, I haven't had an order be "on time" since before 2011.....

10. Shapeways delivery times seem to have gone out the window. It use to take a week to 10 days. I just placed an order and they are talking Nov 4th or 25 days out. That puts a real crimp in my time line. I need RPs as quickly as possable and the time lines were good before the price increases.

Dave

11. CGD
    CGD Member
    One of my customer ordered stuff from my Shapeways shop. The "Expected delivery date" was and still is Oct 4. Now it is Oct 11 and nothing shipped.

Why am I concerned? Because the customer wants to "launch" those products in an exhibition event later this month. What happens if the items are arrived late? There will be no "launch". He won't get any sales and decreased future orders; I in turn will get decreased or none future orders from him; and in turn Shapeways get less or none orders from him.

What is worst, customers' money is already paid to Shapeways. Shapeways does not ship the items, customer won't have things to sell and hence no turnover. No turnover, no money to reinvest.

It is good to have an expected delivery date. But it won't make any sense if the date is not met. Okay, if the date is one or two dates off, if customer service advises us the reason and update the date, we can understand and most important of all, make contingency plans.

12. My first order about a month ago was on time, I think(2 full weeks from order to arrival).

My previous order I think got ignored for a while before finally being canceled after my CS inquiry. I was issued a coupon today for the value of said order after my CS inquiry but it had an expiration date of today. After a 10 day delay in someone determining the fate of my previous order they give me a coupon that expires the same day it's issued? I'm just fortunate I had things I wanted to order anyway or I'd be dealing with trying to get my almost $200 back.

But again, my first order went off without a hitch and the item turned out great. I'll be intrigued to see if "8 working days" holds true for my current order. By my math and the 8 working days note on my order I should receive my item by by the middle of next week- by the orders math I should receive it exactly 2 weeks from now- I'm guessing it will turn out someplace between the two.

13. mctrivia
    mctrivia Well-Known Member
    are you sure the cupon does not expire 1 year from today? I have on a few times had a short mental lapse and thought it expired right away when it said clearly 2012 on it.

I think expected delivery dates are a very important thing. However you should take how long you expect it to take and add 2 days for unforceens. The customer will be more at ease if it comes a day or 2 early then if there is a deadline and it comes right on time or worse late.

UPS often tells me it is expected on a serten date. Not once has it ever arrived on the date they said.

14. B1lancer
    B1lancer Member
    I had a delay on FUD of a month, despite the material page saying they were only 2 weeks behind. Luckly I got the order a week before I needed it for an compo.

Surely the delivery date should be 10 days + delay = Delivery Date.

A delivery date is pointless if it doesn't take into account delays on materials.

Regards,

Jack

15. mctrivia
    it should be

10 days + delay + margin = Delivery Date.

margin=2day

16. Cut and pasted from the e-mail: Valid Till: 10th October 2011

17. mctrivia
    send them an email. they will fix it.

18. Oh, it's not a huge deal. Fortunately I had a couple of items I was planning to order anyway so I used the entire thing on those. It was just a shock when I opened the e-mail to copy the code into the order page and I noticed it said 2011!

19. Silverbeam
    Silverbeam Well-Known Member
    Yeah the coupon dates are invalid.

I have never had one expire on me... I just used one that was supposed to expire 6 months ago....

I also love that they don't even tell you that they are late.

Instead of changing the prices and adding shipping don't you think that shape ways should have fixed this first?

I mean if only they hired ONE person to deal with customers and delays, that would be a big help, or set up an automatic email that if the expected deliver date has passed and the order is still in production to send an email to contact them for more info with an apology, that would be nice.

I mean SOMETHING! anything. If there was anyone besides shapeways that had these prices I would have left ages ago.

I am starting a new career business of miniature ball jointed dolls and My first experimental doll has been due since September 30th. (it was in wsf a "on time" material.

I need to get this doll to see if it works and if I can have a future career or not. This is very important to me! I have been building up lots of followers and beta testers.

no one can proceed with their businesses like this. Forget price changes and making confusing web interfaces , get this fixed first!

20. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Wow that is late, have you contacted shapeways about it? As for all your points, very valid, and are heading in that direction (as far as the communication goes, don't know about the one person to handle it all)