Accept Bitcoins!

Discussion in 'Shapeways Shops' started by mdahlgren, Apr 27, 2013.

1. TrainThingz
    TrainThingz Member
    :laughing:

David Hannum would have loved you.

Go peddle your bitcoins somewhere else... I've got things to make.

2. Innovo
    Innovo Member
    Well, of course they do, especially those made out of silver and gold! Exactly the point I was making...

3. SavIsSavvy
    SavIsSavvy Member
    Just chiming in here to answer the original question... Currently Shapeways does not have plans to integrate Bitcoins into our ecommerce platform. Quite the lively discussion here, however! As always, we welcome your input. :)

4. knahrvorn
    knahrvorn Member
    Now, almost a year and a half after this statement, has the situation changed?

With bitcoin payment processors it is possible to make a system where users can pay in bitcoin or fiat of their choice and sellers can receive payment in fiat or bitcoin of their choice. So for instance, a seller chooses to pay in bitcoin, but the seller receives his payment in USD. Or a buyer pays in USD and the seller receives his payment in bitcoin. The conversion is not handled directly by shapeways, but by the payment processor.

With big players such as Microsoft and Dell now accepting bitcoin, perhaps the time has come?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  5. knahrvorn
    knahrvorn Member
    By the way, it seems that your competition started accepting bitcoin.

Edit: Removed name of competition and URL. Didn't mean for it to be offensive, just a FYI.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  6. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    I see your interest as a designer of bitcoin-themed gadgets, but your "one and a half year later", bitcoin is still a fringe currency, perhaps with a few interesting technical concepts behind it. And naming shapeways' competitors on the forum is not going to help your cause at all.