3D CAD software

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Orangery, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Orangery
    Orangery Member
    Dizingof- Yes similar to the D8 rounded die but mine would be solid. From the picture it looks like the die could land on a 'gap' (no number).

Magic - Thanks for the info. I was hoping I could make it work by just pressing a few buttons! :cry: I will need to read your post a few times before I try it out.

2. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    Sorry, I didn't want to confuse you. Just read the last paragraph :)
    - Find a plug-in to draw Archimedean solids.
    - Draw a dodecahedron and an icosahedron with same center and same radius (give tham the same orientation as in a soccer ball).
    - Then draw a sphere of the same center and ajust the radius so that the circles do not overlap.
    - Select all three solids and make the intersection (contextual menu)
    - Remove the useless portions of spheres.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  3. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    It doesn't. the numbers weight land the dice on a number.

basically you are looking for something like this:
    https://www.shapeways.com/model/154177/organic_rhombicosidode cahedron_d12_dice.html?gid=ug28396

but with all circles be even is size.

4. Orangery
    Orangery Member
    Dizingof - Yes, this is more like it. Question though, It seems that you can only order items in white, black, green and red although most of your dice are in bronze (nice), silver and Gold.

Magic - Okay I'll ignore the maths bit, thanks.

5. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    You don't see the metal ordering options for the dies? look again

Almost all my dies are printable with all materials except glass and gray FDM plastic.
    I made sure the wall thickness rule apply to metals and lot's of the orders are in metal (see real photos on dies pages)
    like these in antique bronze:

https://www.shapeways.com/model/152049/fractal_dice.html?gid= ug28396

https://www.shapeways.com/model/151849/octahedral_dice.html?g id=ug28396

For rendering purposes i prefer the metal colors.

So your dice... how many numbers on it? i.e: D24? D50? etc..

6. Orangery
    Orangery Member
    Yes, I see the metals now... more money but they look really cool.

D32's because they are meant for a fictional football league game. There would be around eight dice in total displaying zeros, ones, twos etc. I've worked it all out and the results seem pretty realistic. I have a computerised version somewhere which I could upload to MediaFire if you were interested. It uses fourteen sided virtual die within the program to predict results. It is quite pointless really but it is the sort of thing I used to play as a kid (with specially labelled six sided die).

7. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    Here is what I mean:
    soccer.jpg
    The intersection of a dodecahdron (in red) with an icosahedron (in blue) of same diameter is not a regular "soccer ball" (the result is in purple): the hexagons are not regular.
    But when you intersect it with a sphere (in green) of proper diameter (83,9 in my case with diameter of polyhedra being 100) you (hopefully) obtain the result (in gold) that you wanted, with circles of equal diameters.
    I hope it is clearer now! :)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  8. Orangery
    Orangery Member
    That's brilliant! It looks better than I had imagined. Unfortunately I am unable to open the file you sent via PM. It says something like 'Invalid Public Key Security Object File' - file is invalid for use as the following : Certificate Trust List. I have no idea what that means.

9. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    It is an STL file (a kind of format that is used to upload models to Shapeways). The STL extension is also used by windows for security certificate (so if you double-click it Windows will get confused). I though it could be imported into Sketchup, but this is not the case.
    I am sending you another PM...

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011