3d bikini

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mctrivia, Jun 6, 2011.

1. mctrivia
    mctrivia Well-Known Member
    Has anyone noticed that shapeways is offering 3d bikinis? Interesting idea but a little expensive.

2. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    Look at it this way... it's a very cool buzz item that will surely bring traffic...

3. bitstoatoms
    bitstoatoms Member
    Hey Guys,

We are really excited about the bikini as it is the first item of clothing ever available for sale.

And expensive, when was the last time you bought a bespoke bikini?

;)

4. mctrivia
    True if they had more sizes and I had more money I would probably buy one for my wife. It is a really cool product.

5. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    I do hope the default option is for polished WSF :rolleyes:

6. 37612_deleted
    37612_deleted Member
    How about a Mankini option?. :confused

7. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    lol

Are you sure?? did you take a second to consider how your "body hair" could be tangled in between the woven WSF structure? :D

8. jeff
    jeff Member
    very cool indeed. we need local 3D scanners in communities so people can go get scanned and send that scan to shapeways and get their bespoke clothing. These items by continuum are very promising (mainly the programing behind them- thanks for sharing that info!).

What's being sold right now isn't really bespoke, you just choose between sizes like you would for a normal bikini in a store, so I don't really see the advantage of this being 3D printed in polyamide versus traditional mfg & materials.

That being said I'm happy Continuum has gone this far and worked w/ shapeways to make it available. It shows the potential future, which is awesome. And it will make some headlines, turn some heads (especially guys), & bring attention to the industry & traffic to shapeways which is great! I doubt it will be that successful in terms of sales, but hopefully this doesn't deter Continuum from a very interesting future.

for me the only tight fitting items on me are my shoes, so bespoke sandals would be seriously interesting.... especially with a custom footbed based on a scan of my foot... hmm someone should do that.

9. 37612_deleted
    37612_deleted Member
    @ Dizingof,

Umm...You are right, I didn't think of that. This idea could get expensive when
    I factor in the cost of a "Crack, back 'n' sack" as well.

I think I'll stick to rolled-up trousers, socks with sandals and a knotted hanky
    for the summer. Winning combo!.

And I wonder why I'm still single?. Answers on a post card, please.

10. Vandil
    Vandil Member
    Beans and Franks! Beans and Franks!!! :laughing:

l'm glad people are pushing the envelope with different uses for 3d printing, even if I'm not in the market for a 3d printed banana hammock.

11. pete
    pete Shapeways Employee CEO
    Yup - like the shoe idea....!

12. mctrivia
    i had custom made shoe inserts for a while. They had me walk along a platform that measured the impact forces as I walked. They then built a custom insert out of carbon fiber to correct my walk.

13. 9694_deleted
    9694_deleted Member
    I agree with Pete. "Digi-fabric" shoes/insoles would be really exciting!

14. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I want a digi-fabric super hero's mask

15. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    When is printed rubber coming online for rubber chain maille bikinis?

16. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Any chance of the 3D printed air becoming available for bikinis? :rolleyes:

17. 48132_deleted
    48132_deleted Member
    Err, uhm, it was a little hard not to notice! :rolleyes: I clicked on my Shapeways link, looked away for a second, then looked back at the monitor and thought a spam window had popped up or something. Pretty wild, definitely caught me off guard.

18. 9694_deleted
    9694_deleted Member
    Yeah, the bikini-clad girl on our front page has been a shocker to some of our repeat visitors....

19. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    I made a bracelet in Frosted Detail and it was very flexible. Could totally make a mask out of that material!

Glenn