Updating Default Material Not Reflected By Shop

Discussion in 'Bug Reporting' started by VBits, Apr 26, 2023.

1. VBits
    VBits Member
    Due to the recent price increases on smooth and smoothest fine detail plastic, I edited the csv file to price and activate all of my designs to use the Grey Fine Detail Plastic material. However, when setting the default material column to 'yes' just for the single Gray Fine Detail Plastic row doesn't carry through to my actual shop. On my shop, smooth fine detail plastic is still the default, and thus my store page shows higher prices. Even when editing the page manually through the browser, my shop doesn't reflect the changes. I assume this is a bug on Shapeways side, and should be fixed ASAP so many shops who put in the work to activate the cheaper grey plastic don't lose out on sales.

2. coelian276
    coelian276 Well-Known Member
    Since yesterday, no item that i changed the default material from Smooth Fine Detail to Grey Fine Detail is showing this in the Shop. There are still the renders and the prices for Smooth Fine Detail. Even if i update the model, for example change the amount of a ship in one file from two to one, the render does update to the new amount, but remains Smooth Fine Detail.

I'm also experiencing a lot of other graphic glitches and stuff. What's going on?

3. barkingdigger
    barkingdigger Well-Known Member
    I had similar faults with the CSV and reported it, along with the squirrelly maths that somehow took whole-number values and made them show as random amounts of cents. But after a number of weeks with sporadic "we're looking at your file" messages I finally got the dreaded "we can't find anything wrong" and if they're giving up there's no point in me battering my head. There's bugs in the code, but it looks like they either haven't the skill or the will to fix them...

4. coelian276
    Great, the problem with the shop images seems to be solved. But now i cake changes to an item. Every time i add a shop section or change the default material and hit "save changes", the site reloads, but without the changes.

5. MadBikeSkills
    MadBikeSkills Well-Known Member
    I believe this is all related to the recent "Server Upgrade" that Shapeways did. They broke a whole lot of stuff. As far as I can tell any if not all pre-existing item (as in product predates the "Server Upgrade") appears to be in some form of limbo. No edits can be made whatsoever.

I am not going to resort to recreating new products for each of my store items. If I am forced to do that I will like move all my business to another vendor. I am not the longest customer of Shapeways as I have only been on this site going on eight years. You would think they would have this stuff figured out by now.

6. MitchellJetten
    MitchellJetten Shapeways Employee CS Team
    Product Edit page issues should have been resolved.
    Our apologies for the inconvenience and long wait.

7. coelian276
    Here we go again. Many of the items in my shop that i already changed to Grey Fine Detail as the default material went back to show the renders for Smooth Fine Detail again. When editing the item, both, Grey and Smooth Fine Detail are set as the "Default Material" besides the preview pictures, although only Grey has it marked in the material list, wile only Smooth Fine Detail is set as the "Default Image".
    Wrong Previews.jpg

I have sent this to support already. Anyone else has the same problem?

8. coelian276
    If i hit "GENERATE RENDERS" on the items that are not shown correctly, a second preview picture for Smooth Fine Detail appears. If i then sort the list, in a way that the one tagged as "Default Material" is below the actual default (Grey Fine Detail in this case), it shows correctly in the shop. However, the image carousel still shows the render for Smooth Fine Detail when selecting Grey Fine Detail on the item page.
    Wrong Previews 2.jpg
    Wrong Previews 3.jpg

9. coelian276
    Half a year later and this problem hasn't been solved, jet. Some items (for example http://shpws.me/Tr2o) still show the renders for Smooth Fine Detail. I also see those blue renders in other shops, so it's not only me.

10. MadBikeSkills
    MadBikeSkills Well-Known Member
    It's a coding thing and Shapeways web devs couldn't find it and, honestly, I think they stopped looking for the issue. If I have gone to Shapeways too often with Chrome open I cannot save anything on the edit product page. And I mean nothing. It always reverts back to the pre-edited version. But, If I use Edge, Firefox, etc. I can edit the pages. Again it is only since I do not use any of the other browsers on a daily basis. If I switch my behavior to use Edge daily then it breaks on Shapeways site also.

[Opinion] It is 100% the way they either handle cookies or the cookie itself, because if you delete all the cookies for the Shapeways site (and I mean all of them, because I don't have the time to go through the cookies one at a time to figure out which one is fubarred) You can edit the product pages again, for a little while.