George Ioannidis

Gioann

Followers
Following
Gioann's
Gioann commented on Earth & Moon to scale by Gioann
December 6, 2016
Earth & Moon to scale
Gioann @jim_mcghee_23 Will upload and send you a link in a few hours!
Gioann commented on Jupiter by Gioann
July 6, 2016
Jupiter
Gioann @Gregory3 Hello. This is definitely an extremely interesting detail, which I will soon be updating the model to incorporate. I didn't think it would be possible to do any sort of "topography" on the gas giants, but the effect is not only significant, but in fact, significant enough to be noticeable without even the slightest exaggeration!
Gioann @ThistlePainting It can be made up to 200mm precisely! The upper bound caused by Shapeway's printers, printing volume. Send me a private message for which models you'd be interested and I can make upload & give you private links to them.
Gioann @mini_ninja2315 Hey mini_ninja. Sorry for the late reply, only now happened to see your message. In any case. Thanks! ^^
Gioann commented on Earth's Schwarzschild Radius by Gioann
May 7, 2016
Earth's Schwarzschild Radius
Gioann @tmetler Nice idea. I was thinking of a black hole concept so much, it didn't occur me, to have it actually look like a tiny Earth. Which is funny because I do actually offer a 2cm Earth, which is almost that size. I have now added such a "Earth scaled according to its own Schwarzchild radius" (17.7mm) here: https://www.shapeways.com/product/9ZJFWTCTQ/earth-s-schwarzschild-radius-scaled-earth?key=16049997fefc321c55b043e0820ef86f
Gioann commented on Oceanic Mars by Gioann
December 22, 2015
Oceanic Mars
Gioann @Gregory3 I agree about the clouds. I will soon be splitting some of the cloud-having models to "with" and "without" cloud versions.
Gioann commented on Mars by Gioann
December 22, 2015
Mars
Gioann @Gregory3 Much like the Moon (see Moon reply), Mars is too smooth to scale. That said, Mars does contain one detail that would be fairly perceptible, which is Olympus Mons with an elevation difference of almost 20km to the basin on its west. However, even that, on a 200mm sphere, would only be a mere 0.6mm tall. This is actually fairly stunning considering that we are talking about a "to scale" detail and one would both be able to feel and see that. However, in the end of the day it would still mean that even on the largest printable Mars globe (200mm), the end effect would be a smooth globe all around, minus a small 0.6mm tall bump on it. Mons Olympus is also not a particularly "pointy" volcano either (it is in fact as wide as France), so the bump's gradient would be fairly underwhelming as well.
Gioann commented on The Moon by Gioann
December 22, 2015
The Moon
Gioann @Gregory3 I've thought of that, however, truth is that most of these objects (Earth/Mars/Moon specifically) are too smooth to scale to be noticeable over the normal roughness of the model. For example. One of the most noticeable elevation difference in the model as it stands seems to be inbetween the basin of Korolev crater and a high point of the surrounding rim, going from 2.6km to 8.4km. On the 50mm sphere "to scale" that would be a 0.083mm difference, aka, far below this method's of 3d printing's resolution. Even on the 200mm sphere (largest possible) it would be 0.33mm of difference. Shapeways claims that the "minimum embossed detail is 0.4mm", I happen to know that Z-corp's projet printers are advertised as going down to 0.1mm, yet, either way its right at the edge of the printer's own capabilities. And this would be one of the largest details, on the largest globe. Most details are far below that.
Next
Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.