Fairy Wings

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by TurtlesAreCool, May 12, 2012.

1. One of my next projects is a fairy for a friend. I'm looking for new techniques to help with this project. In particular, I'd like to use a texture to generate holes in a mesh, or use a texture to generate the mesh entirely. In particular, I'm thinking of the fairy wings, which should be light and wispy in appearance. Rather than do the mesh by hand, I'd like to draw a texture and use that to create a plane of the same shape, including holes. Then, I can solidify that flat mesh in Blender.

Does anyone know of a program that would allow me to do this? I suspect that Meshlab may be able to do this, but I'm still looking for the correct documentation.

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  2. Eeppium
    Eeppium Member
    Hi.
    You can draw or use an image of a wing to create the outlines and then open that image in some vector program, like inkscape.
    then trace the bitmap to vector form and save it.
    now goto your 3d program and import the .svg file and transform it into a mesh.
    If the imported vector has holes inverted in random places, try increasing the resolution abit.

I´ve tried that using Gimp, inkscape and blender and it came out nicely, just make sure the traceable image is black and white and has thick enough lines for the tracing procedure.

hope this helps =)

3. Thanks. I'll see what I can do.

Looks like that technique is a one-way trip. Ideally, I'd find something similar to the texture displacement technique which is now a fast friend. I change my mind sometimes, so easy tweaks are a boon.. :D