Home » Community » 3D modeler needed » Anime CLAMP X sword in 1/3 scale
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Anime CLAMP X sword in 1/3 scale [message #47043] Mon, 16 April 2012 03:48 UTC Go to next message
avatar mosaicwolf  is currently offline mosaicwolf
Go to all my models
Hi there,

I am totally new to Shapeways, but I am hoping it can help make a much-wanted special item into a reality. I'm a doll collector, and I need two copies of a very unique and unusual sword that is depicted in the manga (comic) X by the artist group CLAMP. It will be 1/3 scale with a total length of about 52cm. I guess first of all I need to know if it's possible. Secondly, I need to commission someone to render it in a way that Shapeways can digest.

Here is the sword as depicted in the manga:

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/1929/113441-129112-sacr ed-sword_large.JPG

http://static.zerochan.net/full/16/32/376616.jpg

And here is a truly amazing tutorial of how someone fabricated a full-sized version for cosplay that has excellent views of the details:

http://blindsquirrelprops.blogspot.com/2008/04/x1999-shinken -swords.html

I would be fully prepared to pay someone a reasonable fee for their time to help with this project. Would anyone out there be interested in taking it on?

Thanks!
Re: Anime CLAMP X sword in 1/3 scale [message #47044 is a reply to message #47043 ] Mon, 16 April 2012 04:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Two problems:
1) Shapeways is not allowed to produce weapons (NL government export restrictions).. I believe the current limit is 10cm for a knife-like object.
2) The only printer they currently have of producing something 52cm long is Stainless Steel. But at that length, ANY material is going to be very expensive due to the volume of material.

One possibility is to produce sections of the item that would have to be assembled during post processing.
Another possibility might be to make a mold for the sword, rather than the sword itself. (But, that'll be even MORE expensive)

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Anime CLAMP X sword in 1/3 scale [message #47048 is a reply to message #47043 ] Mon, 16 April 2012 06:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi,

I would be quite interested in working with you to make the swords. As Stony points out Shapeways do have restrictions on weapon type models, but I'm sure with the help of Customer Services we can find a way to create them.

I'll email CS first and then PM you with plans for a way forward.

Paul
Re: Anime CLAMP X sword in 1/3 scale [message #47111 is a reply to message #47048 ] Tue, 17 April 2012 15:58 UTC Go to previous message
avatar mosaicwolf  is currently offline mosaicwolf
Go to all my models
Thank you guys. Definitely, I'm open to any ideas, and honestly I think creating it in pieces that are later assembled is probably wise in any case.

Paul, please let me know what you find out. I definitely appreciate it. Smile

Previous Topic:Contest to model my character
Next Topic:In need of a 5.98mm sphere. Any takers?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.