Home » Support » Bug Reporting » New Categories!
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
New Categories! [message #46742] Tue, 10 April 2012 17:09 UTC Go to next message
avatar carine  is currently offline carine
Go to all my models
I work here
Hi everyone!

We're working on revamping our categories so that public models are easier to find, increasing visibility for all your creative gems. We're trying to solve for a couple key issues:

- Discoverability: making sure people can find what they are looking for, and stumble upon inspiring designs along the way
- Comprehensiveness: ensuring that all products have a "home" (i.e., where do 3d printed glasses go in our current category structure?)
- Clarity: providing you all a clear understanding of how search and browsing work on Shapeways, including the differences between categories and tags

So with that in mind, we've conducted research on best practices, analyzed our data to see where categories need some more love, and have spoken to some of you already to get your input. Below is a working draft of our updated categories, which we'll implement in the next few weeks.

What do you think? Is anything missing? Any questions?

PLEASE NOTE: Categories are the indisputable "what" that defines a product, and they are mutually exclusive or at least have one primary purpose. Tags will still be used to share other attributes, like the occasion (e.g., holidays, gifts), suggested recipient (e.g., for him, for her, for mom), and qualities (e.g., geeky, whimsical). We'll also closely monitor tags, so if lots of you are creating certain types of products and there is no appropriate category, we can add that over time.

Thanks!

1. Gadgets
- Cases
- Accessories
- Keychains & Key Fobs
- Desk Toys
- Robotics
- Music
2. For your home
- Accessories
- Dining
- Lighting
- Furniture
3. Jewelry
- Bracelets
- Cufflinks
- Earrings
- Necklaces
- Pendants
- Rings
4. Fashion
- Glasses
- Belts
- Bags & Purses
- Wallets
- Buttons
5. Miniatures
- Figurines
- Vehicles
- SciFi
- Memorabilia (formerly fan art)
6. Maker / DIY
- Spare Parts
- Mechanical Parts
- Tools
7. Games
- Board Games
- Dice
- Puzzles
- Toys
8. Art
- Mathematical Art
- Sculptures

[Updated on: Thu, 31 May 2012 00:53 UTC] by Moderator

Re: New Categories! [message #46771 is a reply to message #46742 ] Tue, 10 April 2012 21:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith is currently online stonysmith
Go to my shop
Totally self-motivated, but... how about some sub-categories for Miniatures to indicate the scale of an item?
1:32
1:48
1:87
1:160
1:220

etc.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: New Categories! [message #46772 is a reply to message #46742 ] Tue, 10 April 2012 22:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Same as with motivation, mine is;

Recently uploaded (all of the models, like it used to be - great for inspiration on those dry days)

Re: New Categories! [message #46821 is a reply to message #46772 ] Wed, 11 April 2012 19:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Dragoman  is currently offline Dragoman
Go to my shop
There's an overlapping category that links miniatures and games. People have created a lot of models for role-playing games and tabletop wargames (Warriors, Spaceships, tanks, robots etc.) for such games as Warhammer, Battletech, Flames of War etc..

I suggest to add wargames & RPG's to the games category.

Also, railroad models should be an extra category for the miniatures. These would include not just the railroad themselves, but also houses, accessories, signals etc.

If you create a scale category, include the standard railroad scale names (Z scale, B scale, TT scale, H0 (H-Zero) scale...)

Greetings
Karl Heinz
Re: New Categories! [message #46823 is a reply to message #46821 ] Wed, 11 April 2012 19:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MitchellJetten is currently online MitchellJetten
Go to all my models
I work here
Trains Carine! Trains!

Kind regards,

Mitchell Jetten
Customer Service Coordinator
Shapeways
Re: New Categories! [message #46827 is a reply to message #46823 ] Wed, 11 April 2012 20:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
Mitchell Jetten wrote on Wed, 11 April 2012 19:53

Trains Carine! Trains!

Miniature Vehicles Wink

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com
Re: New Categories! [message #46828 is a reply to message #46827 ] Wed, 11 April 2012 20:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
How about,

Miniatures
- genre
- genre sublevels

genre to include vehicles, trains, gaming etc
genre sublevels to include scale and diorama setting (railway, street, countryside, warzone, era etc) and allow two choices on sub-genre as there are overlaps

Re: New Categories! [message #46835 is a reply to message #46823 ] Wed, 11 April 2012 21:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Mitchell Jetten wrote on Wed, 11 April 2012 19:53

Trains Carine! Trains!

I didn't want to seem selfish, but since Jettuh started it...

Trains Carine! Trains!
Trains Carine! Trains!

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: New Categories! [message #46836 is a reply to message #46835 ] Wed, 11 April 2012 22:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar BillBedford  is currently offline BillBedford
Go to my shop
No not 'trains', but Railways, some time we have to urge to produce buffers stops or bridges or station buildings.......

Bill Bedford
Re: New Categories! [message #46839 is a reply to message #46742 ] Thu, 12 April 2012 00:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I work here
Thanks for all the feedback! Super helpful...

So hearing a couple things:
(1) TRAINS!!!!! (or Railways / railroad)
(2) Scale
(3) More genres / category layers
(4) Wargames and other game types

We are still working to finalize, but wanted to share our latest thinking:

Regarding (1), definitely hear you on this one, and after digging into the #s a bit more, it would be hard to ignore the sheer volume of trains and railroad related products on the site. So, we will most likely keep trains (or railways/railroad...naming TBD) a separate category from miniatures.

Regarding the other facets you're hoping to surface, like scale or more specific categories -- these are prime input for tags, scale in particular. If we start to see certain tags emerging in high volume, we'll then consider them to be raised to a category level. So, for example, if airplanes becomes as big as trains in size, that could definitely become it's own category over time.

Our goal is to make sure your products are discoverable, so thanks again for the input, and I'll definitely keep you guys in the loop when we have a final list.
Re: New Categories! [message #46842 is a reply to message #46839 ] Thu, 12 April 2012 01:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Carine, I'll try to put more tags onto my models, but it'd be extremely helpful if there were some mass-add function for tags. Doing them one at a time is going to take a while.

I still think that for the entire category of Miniatures (and any of it's sub categories), it's very important to have a "scale" field that is "recommended" if not manditory.

Re: New Categories! [message #46864 is a reply to message #46842 ] Thu, 12 April 2012 15:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I work here
Thanks Stony -- super helpful feedback. We'll definitely keep this in mind!
Re: New Categories! [message #46874 is a reply to message #46864 ] Thu, 12 April 2012 18:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Here's the suggestion where people can vote on it:
http://feedback.shapeways.com/forums/111989-shapeways-feedba ck/suggestions/2437259-scale-factor-notation-for-miniatures

Re: New Categories! [message #47716 is a reply to message #46742 ] Tue, 01 May 2012 21:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ChristianA  is currently offline ChristianA
Go to my shop
I work here
Hey everyone!

TOMORROW we will be modifying the categories. The final list of categories are as follows:

1. Gadgets
- Cases
- Accessories
- Keychains & Key Fobs
- Desk Toys
- Robotics
- Music

2. For your home
- Accessories
- Dining
- Lighting
- Furniture

3. Jewelry
- Bracelets
- Cufflinks
- Earrings
- Necklaces
- Pendants
- Rings

4. Fashion
- Glasses
- Belts
- Bags & Purses
- Wallets
- Buttons

5. Miniatures
- Figurines
- Model Trains
- Vehicles
- SciFi
- Memorabilia

6. Maker / DIY
- Spare Parts
- Mechanical Parts
- Tools

7. Games
- Board Games
- Dice
- Puzzles
- Toys

8. Art
- Mathematical Art
- Sculptures

If you had a model that was in a category that is no longer available, don't fret. We'll make sure it is associated with the most relevant category. Below is a list of the previous categories and the new category they are moving in to. Take a look at our migrations:

Art >> Religious Art --> Art
Art >> Fan Art --> Miniatures >> Memorabilia
Hobby >> Robotics --> Gadgets >> Robotics
Hobby >> Musical Instruments --> Gadgets >> Music
Hobby >> Figurings/Character --> Miniatures >> Figurines
Hobby >> SciFi --> Miniatures >> SciFi
Hobby >> Model Trains --> Miniatures >> Model Trains
Hobby >>Mechanical Parts -- >Maker/DIY >> Mechanical Parts
Home Decor --> For Your Home
Home Decor >> Decorative --> For Your Home >> Accessories
Home Decor >> Table Settings --> For Your Home >> Dining
Home Decor >> Lighting --> For Your Home >> Lighting
Home Decor >> Pictures --> For Your Home
Jewelry >> Braile --> Jewelry
Jewelry >> Buttons --> Fashion >> Buttons
Jewelry >> Pendants/Charms/Beads --> Jewelry >> Pendants

If you had Seasonal selected as a category, please note that those categories have been removed from the category selection. To make sure your models are still easily discovered on Shapeways, please be sure to edit your model and select an appropriate category. Remember, you can still tag your model with an appropriate seasonal tag!
Re: New Categories! [message #47829 is a reply to message #46828 ] Thu, 03 May 2012 16:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar monxmood  is currently offline monxmood
Go to my shop
Why is MUSIC under GADGETS? Is this what the world is coming to? I have been perfecting the design of my wholetone panpipes to be on a par with the most expensive luthier-made Romanian instruments. These are concert-ready instruments and should not be downgraded to gadgets. Check out this video if you don't believe me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WG7NAeGq4ge
I have also several upcoming designs for keyboards and I see other designers have brought out shakuhachis (Japanese flutes). So a bit of respect please, for a noble art.
Re: New Categories! [message #47892 is a reply to message #47829 ] Fri, 04 May 2012 16:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar nataliak  is currently offline nataliak
Go to my shop
I work here
Hi monxmood,

I agree that Music should actually be it's own category, but at the moment we do not have enough instruments like yours to warrant a whole category. A lot of the music related objects on shapeways are gadgets and tools related to music and instruments, which is why we placed music there.

While gadgets isn't the future of where music belongs, for now I would suggest using tags (like musical instrument, panpipes, etc) to appropriately distinguish your panpipes from the other items in the music category.

I hope that helps!
Best,
Natalia

Shapeways Community Manager
Re: New Categories! [message #47896 is a reply to message #47829 ] Fri, 04 May 2012 18:18 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
I watched your video monxmood, you have awesome talent - your instruments deserve their proper recognition as Art!

Previous Topic:3ds to WRL (incl. full color)
Next Topic:CSV price bug

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.