Dipping my toe...and a few questions about the process

Discussion in 'Newcomers Lounge' started by 159173_deleted, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Hi All,

First foray into 3D printing, mainly looking to get my own pieces printed. But I am a 3D Modeler and Graphic Designer by training and trade.

I recently have been looking into doing more 3D printing work and have begun with a personal project to build an entire Iron Man suit from 3D printed pieces. So far I've only produced the helmet, which was printed as a favor by the Rapid Prototyping department at the company I work for. I can't afford to print everything through them, and they can't break their own schedule to fit my personal project in all the time.

FinalPaintedHelmet.jpg

I created an instructable for it:
    https://www.instructables.com/id/3D-Printing-an-Ironman-Helme t/
    and ended up getting a good response so I entered it into the contest they have going to win a 3D printer. (Please vote if you visit and like :D) The contest got me interested in producing pieces for sale as well.

Seems odd to be posting it on the forum of a 3D printing company, but I'm just looking for info. This is the final product I'm looking to create. The pieces for this were printed on a zCorp 510, I believe with the zp150 material.

Am I able to print pieces for myself through Shapeways or solely for sale to the community?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  2. PatrickHughes
    PatrickHughes Member
    That looks awesome.

To answer your question you can upload a model for private printing.

If you decide to offer (or make available) to the public you have that option as well.

I'm new here myself so by no means an expert on the workings of Shapways.