9 Little pendants/charms in Silver, Silver Glossy and FUD

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by CharGyse, Mar 13, 2012.

Which charm would you like to see printed in silver the most?

1. Design#1 - Four Petal Flower

2. Design#2 - Sixteen Petals

3. Design#3 - Suspended Coin

4. Design#4 - Eight Petals Crossed

5. Design#5 - Four Petal Flow

6. Design#6 - Four Fountains

7. Design#7 - Four Petals Bound

8. Design#8 - Eight Petal Caught

9. Design#9 - Eight Petal Floating

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. CharGyse
    CharGyse Member
    Hey everyone. I've just finished uploading the last of the designs I've come up with so far. Here's a picture of them (I've put them all into one image to save on loading times):

Image_Designs_FirstNice_20120313.jpg

I've figured out that to get all of these nine printed out in all of the materials I have made them available in (so I can take photos of them), it would cost me about $878...

That's $384 for Silver, $429 for Glossy Silver, and $65 for the Frosted Ultra Detail.

I've also figured out that if one of them gets purchased 6 times, it will pay for the print of itself that I have to buy to take the photo of it (this goes for all of them).

I will probably be able to fork out for all the FUD versions before any sales are made - but I'd like to buy one design in Silver at some point to let me see, feel and show the difference, so I was wondering which design is most popular?

I do intend to eventually acquire photos of all of them in at least FUD and Silver...

Here are their individual links:

Design#1 - Design#2 - Design#3
    Design#4 - Design#5 - Design#6
    Design#7 - Design#8 - Design#9

2. CharGyse
    CharGyse Member
    Oh!! I just realised I can stick the group together into one model and lower the costs considerably, since they will only have one handling fee for all of them instead of 9 separate handling fees.

Grouped together as they are in a set of 9 would cost me $144 for the Silver, $149 for the Glossy Silver and $24.89 for the FUD, as opposed to $384 for Silver, $429 for Glossy Silver, and $65 for FUD.

I realise I'd have to join the Silver ones together though to take advantage of that idea... I'm not sure how I could do so and still be able to photograph the pieces separately though... Any suggestions?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  3. aeron203
    aeron203 Member
    I can imagine them stacked together with small sprues joining them on each edge. Obviously they would not be able to be polished until you separated them, but I don't think the polishing will do much in this case because they don't have gently curved areas where the layers would show.

When first saw the designs, I was reminded of a computer fan grill. That might be a good application for them if you scaled them up a bit and cut out the shapes for better air flow.

4. Hi Charlotte,
    Yes, as Aeron suggested yoy, you can try to join them with a pipe between each pieces, but you have to pay attention about the thickness. Then you have to remove the pipes in post production. I try one time to upload two rings not joined but the file was rejected. So multiple object are cheaper for silver but you need post production finishing.

Cheers,
    Dario

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  5. CharGyse
    CharGyse Member
    Wow, computer fan grills! That's a simple idea I didn't know existed, haha. I'll have to explore those.

I think what I might do is join them together at the edges with the sprues/pipes like you both suggest, but lay them out flat next to each other in a square 3 by 3 pattern so that all the main surfaces are exposed?
    Then cut them apart and smooth where the sprues were when I want to take the separate photos.

6. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Or you could print one, and Render the rest using the one as an example of how they should look. Same lots of money that way.

7. CharGyse
    CharGyse Member
    That's a good idea. That could work really well with similar items, since they'd be able to compare the render with the photo of the one and imagine how the other patterns would look in the same material...

8. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Exactly, if you go this route and need a renderer, let me know. We can work out a deal.

9. CharGyse
    CharGyse Member
    Okay, so about four weeks ago my curiosity got the better of me and I ordered the pendants in FUD and Silver - but I did it by creating .STL files of earrings composed of two of the pendants (one for each earring) in each file, rotated 45 degrees so that a corner hole was at the top of each, effectively halving the handling costs if I then used them as singular pendants instead of paired earrings.

Definitely more expensive than joining them all into one file, but until I have the suitable skills/skilled friends to separate the metal expertly for me, I thought it might work out better this way. Especially since I have a weakness for earrings. Worse case scenario would only be that I can't sell them and end up giving them away to friends and family during birthdays or holidays and keep my favourites for myself.

Do Shapeways still send out natural-paired earrings with complimentary earring hooks? I ordered them on the assumption that they did, but it's no biggy if they don't. I can just attempt to sell them on separately as pendants or attach some earring findings myself.

Expected ship date says 18th - but they haven't arrived and the status says still In Production. I'm assuming Expected ship date is actually the 30th for that order though, since if I count 15 working days on from the start of April and add a week for Silver being behind, then that works out about right.

I have a different order that says Expected ship date 30th but was actually shipped around the 18th and has arrived at my friend's house safely already - so not sure what's going on in there on the My Orders page?

Youknowwho4eva, I may take you up on that rendering offer for other items I make... although I think I might prefer to be taught how to take my .STL files and render them to make them look realistically Silver or FUD-ish. When learning texturing in University (I did Computer Games Design), realistic texturing tended to take a back seat for me. I think put more effort into trying to make the games actually work interactively than I did trying to learn how to use shaders and lighting properly, although I did browse tutorials on them occasionally...

10. CharGyse
    CharGyse Member
    I've received a tracking number from UPS! So excited!

11. that always make me smile :D

i look forward to seeing them.....btw did u do the current rendings? they look very smart.

12. CharGyse
    CharGyse Member
    Yes I did, but I may have to redo them and try following a "brushed stainless steel" tutorial I found somewhere, the pendants in silver have more lines going across them than I expected. I'll post up some pictures of them into [It Arrived!] now :)

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  13. CharGyse
    CharGyse Member
    Here is a photo of Sixteen Petals for those who voted to see it, taken as soon as I removed the packaging. The cloudy parts on the FUD (left and right) is that waxy residue stuff. I quite like the look of it but it will probably rub away over time.

DSC02149.JPG

14. CharGyse
    CharGyse Member
  15. they look great.

good job!

16. CharGyse
    CharGyse Member
    Thank you pdb :D

17. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    I voted for the sixteen petals and now that I see them printed I notice that the central part is gear-shaped: I like them even more :)
    The four petals are awesome too.
    Good job!

18. CharGyse
    CharGyse Member
    Thank you!
    I've recently added circular versions (the same things but without the corner loops) after some feedback from friends.
    You can find them in the Pendants section. I think stainless steel versions are next for these ones.

ImageJPG_700x519_20120525_RoundPendants_002.jpg

This is actually a modified photo of the square pendants. I'm fairly sure that the round ones would print just as well as the square ones.