gold plated glossy ring "tails 2"

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by kiorodesign, Feb 12, 2012.

1. kiorodesign
    kiorodesign Well-Known Member
    ...the ring "tails" had a single turn.
    "tails 2" turns twice ...

tails_2_forum-1.jpg

tails_2_forum-2.jpg

tails_2_forum-3.jpg

2. ChristelM
    ChristelM Shapeways Employee CS Team
    Really nice ring! I love the way it fits round the finger.

3. kiorodesign
    thank you for your liking Christel.
    When this ring was delivered, I was surprised to see its shine.
    I saw one of my pendant made of gold plated matte, and wanted to print this ring with the same finishing. Then I decided to print the ring with the gold plated glossy finishing, and now that I've seen, I'm happy with the choice.

4. This is an awesome design!, Well done. Seeing this just makes me want to get my first print off to the virtual factory.

Can I ask what 3D software you designed this with?

Kirk

5. kiorodesign
    thanks for the appreciation, Kirk
    I suggest you make your first print. When my first ring was delivered, I was really happy to have materialized my imagination.
    I use a mechanical CAD, ug nx. I am an aerospace designer. Look at my pendant "turbine" ;))

6. Brick
    Brick Member
    the surface looks very rough. Does that mean we have to polish metal items ourselves?

7. kiorodesign
    Hello Brick.
    The surface of the ring is rough, but it is a characteristic of the 3D printing process, which produces this type of surfaces. In this case the roughness is accentuated by the coating of gold.
    I have not tried to polish it, so I do not know what would be the result. However, jewels produced using this technology have their charms ...

8. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    DO NOT attempt to polish this ring! Any attempt to get rid of surface texture will destroy the gold-plating so that you have stainless steel showing through. In fact, if this ring is worn daily it will eventually have some of the plating worn off. I speak from experience and do not design rings for the plated materials anymore.

Glenn

9. kiorodesign
    thanks for the advice, Glenn...