My Raspberry Pi case project

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by MarcoA, Feb 2, 2012.

1. MarcoA
    MarcoA Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  2. This looks unequivocally awesome, great visual mock-up too. Have you got on the blower to manufacturers regarding cost?

3. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Any way you could draw out the area where the USB junctions are, to cover them up? IMO it looks a little messy being able to see too much of them. It' would be nice if they had set them back for you so you could have your nice flat design and not have them stick out like that.

Also beautiful render

4. MarcoA
    MarcoA Member
    Thanks.
    I didn't come into contact with the manufacturers.

5. MarcoA
    MarcoA Member
    I wanted to make it as minimal as possible, and to use as little volume of material as possible.

I told them, and I was answered that this is the design that minimize the costs, and they wanted to get the minimum cost as a priority.

Thanks! It's Blender and Yafaray. :)

6. MarcoA
    MarcoA Member
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  7. As a student who's massively into the Raspberry Pi concept (and who desperately wanted to get his hands on one :'( ) I understand your vantage point here.

Can I suggest that you use a rounded-edge extrusion from the network port to bring the side of the case level with the USB ports, like this?
    pi case revision - illustration.png

Your case design, and in particular the updated version, looks absolutely fantastic (in fact, it has a very slight air of Apple about it!), but as you've rightly pointed out on your site, the USB ports stick out, which could leave you brand new RasPi vulnerable to having them damaged.

With relation to this, does the extra ~5mm make that much of a difference to the cost? With the sole purposes of the case being to protect the circuitry and to make it look neater, you could achieve both to a higher degree by finding an aesthetically-pleasing way of hiding those ugly ports. :)

Also, did you get your hands on one from the first batch?

8. I would certainly order one of these, based on the original design just as soon as it was on sale!

Let's hope we don't have to wait too long.

In my opinion this is one of the best designs we have seen yet for the Raspberry Pi... keep up the good work Marco! :)

9. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Great design!

I also echo the points made about the USB socket, it has a lip around the front edge which could be an injury hazard, to prevent that, the lip needs to be flush with the case.

Also after digging around on RaspberryPi.org, I found a 3D model of the board layout, along with images of the bare circuit board - mapping the images onto the model of the board reveals that the connectors are not quite in the right place - some are as much as 2mm out, and the audio out jack socket looks to be the wrong component in the wrong place, maybe as much as 4mm out?

In the image below, I've moved the connectors to line up with the circuit board (beta version)

connector-locations.JPG

I'm looking forward to when the R-Pi goes on sale (from what I've read May 15th is looking good for my local RS)

Paul

10. MarcoA
    MarcoA Member
    That's why I do want a real board to correctly position the apertures! I don't trust images and measurements that I can't verify. ;)

11. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I know so very little about this project, but could it be because there are two different manufacturers?

12. stop4stuff
    Only one owner/distributor - RaspberryPi.org - sales might be from 4-6 sources worldwide, but all of the info is linked to via above :)

13. You are referring to the two UK/EU Distributors, RS Components and Farnell - but they are both retailing the same product (model B of the Raspberry Pi computer). There will soon be another, reduced functionality model, Model A, intended for mass use in education (it'll be cheaper).

14. MarcoA
    MarcoA Member
    The first test sample of the case has arrived!

I have to say that I'm pleased with it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More info are here.

Now I'm waiting for a real board to test.

Attached Files:

15. MarcoA
    MarcoA Member
  16. MarcoA
    MarcoA Member
  17. MarcoA
    MarcoA Member
    Two little updates:

1. I developed a stackable fork of the case, as showed here:

[​IMG]

2. I received my Raspberry Pi computer. I simply put it into my first 3D printed item and I find that it is not perfect (some adjustments on holes are required), but it is not as bad as I imagined:

[​IMG]

Now is time to fix the issues and to print a new (final?) test case.

18. stop4stuff
    :eek:

Great job!

19. MarcoA
    MarcoA Member
    Last edited: May 16, 2012
  20. MarcoA
    MarcoA Member